Mag lite 4 d cell Mod

Gaffle

Enlightened
Someone posted a mod where they put in 3 3watt LEDs into a mag lite. I just realized I had a spare mag sitting around so I would like to embark into my first homemade mod. The problem is that I am a total newbie to this stuff.

Any advice on where to purchase the leds, reflectors, I assume I would need some kind of circuitry, blah blah blah. I plan on keeping the body the same. I plan to power the light with NiMh D cells.

That tri lux bike light was just about what I had in mind. Any help would be much appreciated.

jwl

Enlightened
Photonfanatic (here on CPF) has a really good selection of LEDs. Also, do a search for posts made by Icarus, he is one of the really talented LED light builders here. His stuff is just plain awesome.

Also, look check out users cmacclel, nikolatesla, and many others (can't think of them all right now). All of these guys have built some pretty cool lights.

Good Luck.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Negative on that link John, and it seems that I will power the light with AA NiMh instead of Ds. Sorry about the newbie questions, just expect more.

Being that the heat sinks are inside the housing, do they disperse the heat efficiently? With my Myo Xp there is a small hole at the bottom for heat to escape, and the Apex has its heat sink uncovered.

jwl

Enlightened
Gaffle - Take a look here.

The link Long John was trying to link is apparantly trashed now but I do have a PDF copy of the instructions. If you would like PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the instructions in PDF.
Enjoy.