Imalent

Thread: having some trouble with a history paper

Cool having some trouble with a history paper

I need to find the historical accuracy/inaccuracy in Forest Gump. It is really hard to notice this, and it seemed accurate to me... anyone have anything to say about what wasnt accurate about Forest Gump?

-David

Flashaholic*

Default Re: having some trouble with a history paper

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to specific time frames, events, or what? And I think a lot of what you might need can be found using Google.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo
    I need to find the historical accuracy/inaccuracy in Forest Gump. It is really hard to notice this, and it seemed accurate to me... anyone have anything to say about what wasnt accurate about Forest Gump?

-David

I don't understand. "Forest Gump" was fiction. Enjoyable, entertaining fiction, but fiction.

Is someone claiming that "Forest Gump" is a historically accurate production?

I think that if you're asking "what is historically accurate" in "Forest Gump", the answer would be "nothing".
    Last edited by BIGIRON; 05-18-2006 at 05:30 PM.

Flashaholic*

As an example, I saw a special on the making of Forest Gump - he certainly did not shake hands with Kennedy. That was some fancy work by the actor and film crew.
    Homebuilts - "BREEZE" RCR2 sidexside, "Tornado" 4 x 18650 side x side, Streamlight SL20x LED module (Custom BST Feeler Thread)

Flashaholic*

Washington post movie review:
    Forest Gump. Our National Folks Zero

Here are some goofs/issues with the movie:
    www.imdb.com

-Bill

Flashaholic*

Lessee ... When JFK was in office, Tom Hanks would have been somewhere between 5 and 7 years old ... my guess is that he was probably running around in some back yard in Concord (yeah the one up the road from you), rather than shaking hands with POTUS

Quote Originally Posted by HarryN
    As an example, I saw a special on the making of Forest Gump - he certainly did not shake hands with Kennedy. That was some fancy work by the actor and film crew.

Cool Re: having some trouble with a history paper

the movie was very accurate, asside from the character of forest gump, it dealt with issues involving drugs, Vietnam, and civil rights. Most events in the movie were real.

-David

It paints the era with a broad brush -- it's as historically representative of the time as "Gone With the Wind" was of the Civil War.

I'm sure there are many others here, who, like me, lived through the era and participated fully in most of the depicted events, that will agree.

Flashaholic*

Using Hollywood to teach history is kind of like learning Engineering by watching Apollo 13 or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

-Bill

so, back on topic, did you notice anything that wasnt accurate with what actually happened during that era?

-David

The historical accuracies as I recall in Forrest Gump:
    1. Bear Bryant was coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide
    2. There was a president named John Kennedy
    3. There was a Vietnam War in which US soldiers fought and died
    4. There was a president named Lyndon Johnson
    5. There was an anti-war protest on the mall in Washington DC
    6. There was a hurricane Camille which struck the gulf coast
    7. There was a jogging craze in the USA during the 1970's

Everything else is fiction.

EDIT: Oops forgot something,
    8: There was a president Nixon

that is all.
    Hmmm, there's a signature here somewhere...

so, back on topic, did you notice anything that wasnt accurate with what actually happened during that era?

-David
    Have you tried watching the movie and doing the research on your own yet?

How about this...you tell us what you've found on your own so far and we can tell you if it appears to be correct.

JM-99

#9 There most certainly was an Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmaster
    Have you tried watching the movie and doing the research on your own yet?

How about this...you tell us what you've found on your own so far and we can tell you if it appears to be correct.

JM-99
    accurate:

*african americans were segregated agains
    *vietnam was a tragic and brutal war
    *many veterans were affected for many years from the trama (thing leutenant dan.
    *drugs were a very big problem in that time
    *huge masses of people spoke out against the war
    *many people slept around and spread diseases (think Jenny)

I really dont know anything that was really, incorrect... other than the entire forest gump character and many others in the movie.

-David

If you check the imdb link that BB gave in post #5, you will see that there are many minor historical and factual inaccuracies in the movie.

Trust me cheapo, Hollywood rarely gets history right...it's generally not 'dramatic' enough for them. Besides, fact-checking costs money and interferes with proven shooting techniques. So history loses out to tickets sold.

Flashaholic*

Is this the same teacher that asked you to write about the historical accuracy of the movie Troy? If so, I'd be counting the days until I got out of that class and found myself a real history teacher...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by metalhed
    Trust me cheapo, Hollywood rarely gets history right...it's generally not 'dramatic' enough for them. Besides, fact-checking costs money and interferes with proven shooting techniques. So history loses out to tickets sold.
    That's a tad bit of an understatement. Take for example the movie U-571. It portrayal depicts American sailors as the ones that captured documents vital to cracking the Axis' Enigma code instead of the British heroes that actually performed the feat. Talk about missing a small detail. What's next, the French sinking the Spanish Armada? I've seen, understand, and can appreciate taking poetic license in movies, (Gladiator's just hurt my head) but movies like U-571 actually makes people unfortunate enough not to know history stupider than they were before they saw the movie.

IMO Forest Gump did an entertaining job of re-interpreting history without corrupting peoples understanding of what actually happened.
    Last edited by MichiganMan; 05-18-2006 at 09:18 PM.

OK Cheapo. Now we can get somewhere. Here's a good chance for you to educate your history teacher. Fortunately, there are several folks here that can give you first person views of some of the things you've alluded to.

You, as a student of history, must first realize that the subject era is the beginning of media influence and manipulation. Beginning in the early '60's the media learned that it could create reality instead of reporting reality as had always been done.

Your statements are a good starting place:

Segregation - yep. Happened. All kinds of cultural, economic, racial and religious groups received differential treatment. Change was brought about by millions of people of all colors working together to right historical wrongs. Not just a few vocal "leaders". One of Americas real victories. I particularly liked the movie's depiction of the Black Panthers -- really funny.

VietNam war - yep happened. Tragic and brutal as are all wars. We won it militarily but lost it politically. This is where my premise of the media creating reality really takes off. I can never forget or forgive Walter Cronkite's statement "..the war is lost.." during Tet of '68. The VC/NVA were defeated, suffering huge losses, at every battle, greatly hindering their ability to fight in the future. But the US media presented it as a loss by our guys -- our politicians bought it and the rest if history.

Many veterans were affected..... - sure they were. All veterans of all wars are severely affected. But the VN vets got the bad press. Just like other wars' vets, a few were very negatively affected - the great majority came back, picked up their lives and moved positively forward. Again, the medias "deranged VietNam vet" is pretty much fiction. As are todays "disgruntled postal workers".

Drugs big problem - I think you'll find that, statistically, recreational drug use is much greater in later years than the FG period. Again, the media invention of the drugged out hippie.

Huge masses of people spoke out against the war - yep. See above. I was around some of the events. A large number of the participants were there to party -- hear some music, smoke a little dope and meet chicks/guys. (Can anybody say "Rave"?)

Sex and disease - check your stats. While probably greater than preceding years, certainly not as much as ensuing years.

Back to my earlier post. This movie is a Hollywood treatment of an entire era. It is no more accurate or real than "Easy Rider", "The Graduate", "American Graffitti" or "Rambo".

I hope you survive this class.

Flashaholic

the movie was very accurate, asside from the character of forest gump, it dealt with issues involving drugs, Vietnam, and civil rights. Most events in the movie were real.

-David
    disregard....
    Last edited by Samuel; 05-18-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Flashaholic*

what about the King? he was real...
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 270winchester
    what about the King? he was real...
    but is he Really dead?

But I think he had his moves before spending time in Ms Gumps B&B ----

Quote Originally Posted by BB
    Using Hollywood to teach history is kind of like learning Engineering by watching Apollo 13 or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

-Bill
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I haven't thought of that one in a long time. I never watched it much but was always amused by them bracing for some crash by taking a firm grip on the microphone cord.

Almost as bad as the early paramedic show where they would look at their watch before announcing an ETA.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BIGIRON
    You, as a student of history, must first realize that the subject era is the beginning of media influence and manipulation. Beginning in the early '60's the media learned that it could create reality instead of reporting reality as had always been done.
    Actually, you will probably also want to review Yellow Journalism.

Wikipedia, a place to start--not the final word:

The sensationalized human-interest stories of the yellow press increased circulation and readership heavily throughout the 19th century, especially in the United States. Early practitioners, such as Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst, seem to have equated the sensational reporting of murders, gory accidents, and the like, with the need of the democratic common man to be entertained by subjects beyond dry politics. Two early yellow newspapers were Pulitzer's New York World and Hearst's New York Journal American.'. The term derived from the color comic strip character The Yellow Kid, who appeared in both these papers. (See also symbolism of yellow.)
    While most early newspapers tended toward expressing a viewpoint, the prototypical example of yellow journalism was the late 19th century Hearst Newspapers' consistent emphasis on episodes showing a humanitarian crisis among Cubans at the hands of Spanish troops. The Spanish denied the crisis and said Hearst was lying. The stories, combining both a sense of urgency and moral outrage, and Hearst directed his one newspaper, the New York Journal.

Having contributed to rallying public support for the cause for war, Hearst tried to influence the political vote as well. Along with the destruction of the USS Maine, this reporting sparked a public outcry that led to the US to start the Spanish-American War. James Creelman praised the work of the reporters for exposing the horrors of Spanish misrule, arguing, " no true history of the war . . . can be written without an acknowledgment that whatever of justice and freedom and progress was accomplished by the Spanish-American war was due to the enterprise and tenacity of yellow journalists, many of whom lie in unremembered graves." [Sloan & Startt 191] Journalism historians have noted that in 1898 yellow journalism was largely confined to New York City, and that newspapers in the rest of the country did not follow their lead.
    And you can even go further back to see how people used writings to both make money and influence people (and burned it--if those in power disagreed with them):

More Wikipedia--American Revolution "Pamphlets":

A milestone in the Revolution occurred in 1765, when Grenville passed the Stamp Act, as a way to finance the quartering of troops in North America. The Stamp Act required all legal documents, permits, commercial contracts, newspapers, pamphlets, and playing cards in the colonies to carry a tax stamp purchased from royal officials. Colonial protest was widespread. Secret societies known as the Sons of Liberty were formed in every colony, and used propaganda, intimidation, and mob violence to prevent the enforcement of the Stamp Act.

The furor culminated with the "Stamp Act Congress", which sent a formal protest to Parliament in October of 1765. Parliament responded by repealing the Stamp Act, but pointedly declared its legal authority over the colonies “in all cases whatsoever.”
    Outline of American Literature:

THE POLITICAL PAMPHLET: Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

The passion of Revolutionary literature is found in pamphlets, the most popular form of political literature of the day. Over 2,000 pamphlets were published during the Revolution. The pamphlets thrilled patriots and threatened loyalists; they filled the role of drama, as they were often read aloud in public to excite audiences. American soldiers read them aloud in their camps; British Loyalists threw them into public bonfires.

Thomas Paine's pamphlet Common Sense sold over 100,000 copies in the first three months of its publication. It is still rousing today. "The cause of America is in a great measure the cause of all mankind," Paine wrote, voicing the idea of American exceptionalism still strong in the United States -- that in some fundamental sense, since America is a democratic experiment and a country theoretically open to all immigrants, the fate of America foreshadows the fate of humanity at large.
    Does any of this sound familiar today?

-Bill

Hey, Cheapo, we'd be interested in reading the finished product.

to tell you the truth, i already handed it in. My teacher grades on participation (i really dont mind). I appreciate the help.

-David