having some trouble with a history paper

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to find the historical accuracy/inaccuracy in Forest Gump. It is really hard to notice this, and it seemed accurate to me... anyone have anything to say about what wasnt accurate about Forest Gump?

-David

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to specific time frames, events, or what? And I think a lot of what you might need can be found using Google.

cheapo said:
I need to find the historical accuracy/inaccuracy in Forest Gump. It is really hard to notice this, and it seemed accurate to me... anyone have anything to say about what wasnt accurate about Forest Gump?

-David

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand. "Forest Gump" was fiction. Enjoyable, entertaining fiction, but fiction.

Is someone claiming that "Forest Gump" is a historically accurate production?

I think that if you're asking "what is historically accurate" in "Forest Gump", the answer would be "nothing".

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lessee ... When JFK was in office, Tom Hanks would have been somewhere between 5 and 7 years old ... my guess is that he was probably running around in some back yard in Concord (yeah the one up the road from you), rather than shaking hands with POTUS :D

HarryN said:
As an example, I saw a special on the making of Forest Gump - he certainly did not shake hands with Kennedy. That was some fancy work by the actor and film crew.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the movie was very accurate, asside from the character of forest gump, it dealt with issues involving drugs, Vietnam, and civil rights. Most events in the movie were real.

-David

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
It paints the era with a broad brush -- it's as historically representative of the time as "Gone With the Wind" was of the Civil War.

I'm sure there are many others here, who, like me, lived through the era and participated fully in most of the depicted events, that will agree.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using Hollywood to teach history is kind of like learning Engineering by watching Apollo 13 or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
:popcorn:
-Bill

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, back on topic, did you notice anything that wasnt accurate with what actually happened during that era?

-David

BF Hammer

Enlightened
The historical accuracies as I recall in Forrest Gump:
1. Bear Bryant was coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide
2. There was a president named John Kennedy
3. There was a Vietnam War in which US soldiers fought and died
4. There was a president named Lyndon Johnson
5. There was an anti-war protest on the mall in Washington DC
6. There was a hurricane Camille which struck the gulf coast
7. There was a jogging craze in the USA during the 1970's

Everything else is fiction.

EDIT: Oops forgot something,
8: There was a president Nixon

that is all.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
so, back on topic, did you notice anything that wasnt accurate with what actually happened during that era?

-David

Have you tried watching the movie and doing the research on your own yet?

How about this...you tell us what you've found on your own so far and we can tell you if it appears to be correct.

JM-99

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster said:
Have you tried watching the movie and doing the research on your own yet?

How about this...you tell us what you've found on your own so far and we can tell you if it appears to be correct.

JM-99

accurate:

*african americans were segregated agains
*vietnam was a tragic and brutal war
*many veterans were affected for many years from the trama (thing leutenant dan.
*drugs were a very big problem in that time
*huge masses of people spoke out against the war
*many people slept around and spread diseases (think Jenny)

I really dont know anything that was really, incorrect... other than the entire forest gump character and many others in the movie.

-David

metalhed

Enlightened
If you check the imdb link that BB gave in post #5, you will see that there are many minor historical and factual inaccuracies in the movie.

Trust me cheapo, Hollywood rarely gets history right...it's generally not 'dramatic' enough for them. Besides, fact-checking costs money and interferes with proven shooting techniques. So history loses out to tickets sold.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the same teacher that asked you to write about the historical accuracy of the movie Troy? If so, I'd be counting the days until I got out of that class and found myself a real history teacher...

MichiganMan

Enlightened
metalhed said:
Trust me cheapo, Hollywood rarely gets history right...it's generally not 'dramatic' enough for them. Besides, fact-checking costs money and interferes with proven shooting techniques. So history loses out to tickets sold.

That's a tad bit of an understatement. Take for example the movie U-571. It portrayal depicts American sailors as the ones that captured documents vital to cracking the Axis' Enigma code instead of the British heroes that actually performed the feat. Talk about missing a small detail. What's next, the French sinking the Spanish Armada? I've seen, understand, and can appreciate taking poetic license in movies, (Gladiator's just hurt my head) but movies like U-571 actually makes people unfortunate enough not to know history stupider than they were before they saw the movie.

IMO Forest Gump did an entertaining job of re-interpreting history without corrupting peoples understanding of what actually happened.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Cheapo. Now we can get somewhere. Here's a good chance for you to educate your history teacher. Fortunately, there are several folks here that can give you first person views of some of the things you've alluded to.

You, as a student of history, must first realize that the subject era is the beginning of media influence and manipulation. Beginning in the early '60's the media learned that it could create reality instead of reporting reality as had always been done.

Your statements are a good starting place:

Segregation - yep. Happened. All kinds of cultural, economic, racial and religious groups received differential treatment. Change was brought about by millions of people of all colors working together to right historical wrongs. Not just a few vocal "leaders". One of Americas real victories. I particularly liked the movie's depiction of the Black Panthers -- really funny.

VietNam war - yep happened. Tragic and brutal as are all wars. We won it militarily but lost it politically. This is where my premise of the media creating reality really takes off. I can never forget or forgive Walter Cronkite's statement "..the war is lost.." during Tet of '68. The VC/NVA were defeated, suffering huge losses, at every battle, greatly hindering their ability to fight in the future. But the US media presented it as a loss by our guys -- our politicians bought it and the rest if history.

Many veterans were affected..... - sure they were. All veterans of all wars are severely affected. But the VN vets got the bad press. Just like other wars' vets, a few were very negatively affected - the great majority came back, picked up their lives and moved positively forward. Again, the medias "deranged VietNam vet" is pretty much fiction. As are todays "disgruntled postal workers".

Drugs big problem - I think you'll find that, statistically, recreational drug use is much greater in later years than the FG period. Again, the media invention of the drugged out hippie.

Huge masses of people spoke out against the war - yep. See above. I was around some of the events. A large number of the participants were there to party -- hear some music, smoke a little dope and meet chicks/guys. (Can anybody say "Rave"?)

Sex and disease - check your stats. While probably greater than preceding years, certainly not as much as ensuing years.

Back to my earlier post. This movie is a Hollywood treatment of an entire era. It is no more accurate or real than "Easy Rider", "The Graduate", "American Graffitti" or "Rambo".

I hope you survive this class.

Samuel

Enlightened
cheapo said:
the movie was very accurate, asside from the character of forest gump, it dealt with issues involving drugs, Vietnam, and civil rights. Most events in the movie were real.

-David

disregard....

Last edited: