Olight - S1R        

Thread: Where to get the glowpowder, tape, goop, etc for "Glow-Mods"....?

Default Where to get the glowpowder, tape, goop, etc for "Glow-Mods"....?

I've seen some pretty cool mods with the glow in the dark stuff here at CPF and would like to get in on it. Can you recommend some "glow-mods" for me? Hey, did I just make that term up?

Anyway, I was thinking of doing the inside of reflector down near the base of my MagMod 2D --> 3x123/6D xenon. Would that get too hot? Also I've seen some pics of people who have done the inside of their LEDs'. I'd like to see some of those again?

Suggestions?

Default Re: Where to get the glowpowder, tape, goop, etc for "Glow-Mods"....?

To get you started:
    GID Projects and Mods thread

I get all my glowing supplies from Skylighter (glowinc.com). His strontium-based material is premium quality and glows for around 12 hours. The stuff you get elsewhere glows 4-6 hours and loses brightness much quickly.

Sweet, just ordered the little 1/2 Fl. Oz. of the Ultra Green....

Do you have to mix it with anything or can I just put it on there? I wasn't going to put it on any external surface, just inside of the reflector area near the base...

Quote Originally Posted by KDOG3
    Sweet, just ordered the little 1/2 Fl. Oz. of the Ultra Green....

Do you have to mix it with anything or can I just put it on there? I wasn't going to put it on any external surface, just inside of the reflector area near the base...
    I've used his green glow up to 1:4 by volume in epoxy and acrylic (like here). It's just allergic to alcohol, water and heat.

For small areas, you may want to grind it a bit finer, paint the area with clear nail-polish, sprinkle the powder over it, dry and cover with another layer or 2 of polish.

fwiw, Nichia also sells uv-reactive glow powder.

I guess builder is recommending to sand the surface; grinding the actual powder will break down the glow structure and the results won't be as good.

For small areas I use paint, for larger areas powder+epoxy. I don't mix my own paint, as the GID stuff doen't behave well mixed with regular clear nail polish.

I ordered the paint not the powder. I only plan on doing small areas, painting indicator dots, etc.

Speaking of glowing stuff, identi-tape.com has a huge assortment of safety, reflective, and GID tapes. Link to the GID tape:
    http://www.identi-tape.com/phosphor.htm

I have some of their silver and black reflective tape (yes, black reflective! ), but haven't tried their GID product. I see they have something that glows for 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    I guess builder is recommending to sand the surface; grinding the actual powder will break down the glow structure and the results won't be as good.

For small areas I use paint, for larger areas powder+epoxy. I don't mix my own paint, as the GID stuff doen't behave well mixed with regular clear nail polish.
    I agree - mixing with nail polish is a waste of good powder. But I actually DID grind the Glow powder, with a mortar - it was the only way to distribute them evenly on the surface 3mm LEDs for a Ring light I made. Seems to work OK...
    Last edited by Builder; 05-21-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Whatever works, as long as it works!!

I have had great success with clear nail polish and powder, also with clear silicone and powder.

There are zero problems unless you don't mix it well before use.
    Ahhh...so glow me!

Whats' a good sealer to go over the paint? Or can the paint stand by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by KDOG3
    Whats' a good sealer to go over the paint? Or can the paint stand by itself?
    It depends on the surface and the finish you want to give it. I had some GID paint on my bike helmet (some groovy designs I did). I painted over it with clear nail polish and it looked OK - matched the shiny finish of the helmet's surface. I did the same on a U2 button (the one on the clip), but the shiny finish looked positively horrible! I rubbed it off eventually, but I wouldn't recommend it for that. Oh, yeah, the paint on my helmet eventually peeled off; the surface was too smooth for it to hold is my guess. If I decide to repeat that, I'd sand the surface before painting.

Well I just got it and did some applying near the base of the reflector of my Magmod. So far I am NOT impressed. It glows bright for about a minute then goes down to nothing about 5 minutes after that.

It's the daylight, KDOG3. The effect will be more pronounced at night, once your eyes are dark adapted. Since you brought it up, here's my standard explanation for glowing things:

It takes up to 15 minutes for the material to fully "charge". Best light source is sunlight, followed by UV, incandescent, fluorescent, and white LED (some colored LED's don't charge GID material at all). Depending on the type of GID material, it'll glow for up to 12 hours (Strontium Aluminate) or 4-6 hours (Zn-based). Strontium Aluminate GID material glows brighter and longer.

How bright the material seems to glow depends on several things (including the color of the glow material). You'll notice the glow better when your eyes are completely dark adapted. If you charge the GID with all the lights on, and then turn them off, you'll "see" the glow fade rapidly. If you do your test during the day, you won't be impressed (try lighting up an L4 in at noon, near a window...). If your eyes were completely dark adapted and you walked in a room with freshly charged (or near the end) GID, you'd notice a different thing (more glow).
    Last edited by greenLED; 08-29-2006 at 04:24 PM.