.50 cal bmg hand gun

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
No thanks, lol, I cannot kill it with the first 5 .44 magnums, I will use the last one on myself...

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the point of a hand held 50 BMG. Shooting it from a 33 lb rifle on a bench is not exactly pleasant. I can't imagine what it would be like shooting it from a hand gun :nana: I can just see the neanderthals on the range trying to hit their targets at 7 yards (unsuccessfully of course) with one of these :crackup:

Last edited:

Glass

Newly Enlightened
While the "cool" factor is off the scale, a .50bmg handgun is pretty pointless simply because the barrel length isn't long enough to let all that powder burn and drive the bullet to it's full potential.

Typically, the powders in handgun rounds is faster burning so that the powder in the case is consumed before the bullet leaves the barrel.

But, the .50bmg is one of the coolest calibers in existence and is a ton of fun to shoot.

The Serbu .50 is a decent gun for the money.
http://serbu.com/bfg50.htm

However, if you have the money lying around, the Barret bolt actions are the best out there.. (imho)

Patrick

Orbit

Enlightened
Yes the barrets are the best out there. but a hand gun is a lot easier to hide:huh:

I can't actually think of a use for one (hand gun), other then the cool factor.

i'll stick with the barret

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
markdi said:
any one 18 years old with a credit card can buy the .50 cal. MK211 Raufoss ammo and gun/riffle to shoot it with. pretty insane

Nothing wrong with that. If someone is dumb enough to want to shoot it, they should be able to buy it ;)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Republic of California was the only state that didn't allow it's law abiding citizens to own a .50 cal. Barrett has released a .460 that actually has superior ballistics, and it is CA legal.

Bill

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
I thought the Republic of California was the only state that didn't allow it's law abiding citizens to own a .50 cal. Barrett has released a .460 that actually has superior ballistics, and it is CA legal.

Yeah, Cali outlawed the .50BMG by name, which is totally silly because there are other cartridges of its ballistic equal which are readily available. The .510DTC and of course the .416 that you mentioned. (Yes I see you said ".460" but we all know what you meant hahaha.)

Anyway, on the .50BMG handgun link it says "You don't want to be within 5 ft to either side of this beast when it is fired." YEAH, RIGHT. Try 50 feet. I wouldn't want to be within 5 feet of a .50BMG RIFLE, let alone a handgun with like 95% of the gunpowder burning AFTER it leaves the muzzle!

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
markdi said:
any one 18 years old with a credit card can buy the .50 cal. MK211 Raufoss ammo and gun/riffle to shoot it with.

Opps, there actually is something very very wrong with that -- don't buy something you cannot afford with a credit card :p

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi said:
the 50 cal. MK211 Raufoss
ammo is awsome

equivalent to a 1 inch gun

I'd wager an explosive or AP 25mm shell would pack a lot more punch. Ever see the two next to each other?

There're no federal restrictions on .50 BMG guns or ammo, although I think explosive bullets like the Mk.211 are regulated, at least in distrubution of new products. Assumed they'd be classed as DD's but I'm not sure.

Pistols in .50 BMG, .700NE, .600JDJ, etc are purely devices for people trying to prove their manhood. Only a rifle can use those cartridges properly.

Last edited: