My prized torch was stolen!!!

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
I have some terribly sad news...

I had some electricians in my house yesterday redoing the wiring...
When I woke up there was no power and since my room is in the basement I grabbed my trusty torch and did the ol ceiling bounce so I could get dressed for work...

I put my light back with my other lights as per usual...
Later that evening when I came home from work I went to take my dog out for a walk, since it was dark I went to grab my light...
And my worst fears were realized when I noticed my light was gone!!

The electricians came back today to finish the job so I had the opportunity to confront them...
I started off being very nice just asking if they had moved it or borrowed it since they were working in the dark...
Unfortunatly they both denied ever seeing it or using it...
However they were the only two people in my room or that had access to my room...

So what do I do now?
I can't afford another light, theres just noway I can afford to replace it...

I plan on talking with the owner of the company but I don't know how far that will get me...
And I already called the cops to see what they suggest and they said they can't offer much assistance without hard proof or a witness!

I just don't know what to do, I can't believe this happened!!

P.S. If anyone sees this torch on ebay or on here please help me...

It is a McGizmo 2x CR123 body with a two stage clicky flared end cap and a vital gear head and a 5watt LCD...

Thanks guy's I just had to vent and if anyone can help me out in any way it would be tremendously appreciated...

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Firebladz. :awman:

VWTim

Enlightened
If the contact with the business owner doesn't work too well. Make sure you inform them that you are going to make this issue readily apparent to those in your community. Write into the paper's letter to the editor. Better Business Bureau, anything to show the level of credibility shown.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Let the boss know that you will call the cops and and file a report and you will spend your free time on the internet talking about how that elecdtrical co is a bunch of thieves. I am sure the boss does not want to lose business because of a bunch of thieves.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
You should pat your guest workers down before they enter and before they leave. If they don't consent, tell em' to scram! I know how the theft of something prized feels. Stealing around my place has stopped for good! All the slime has been sifted with the utmost conscience, consideration and benifit of doubt. Me and the rottie lay around admiring our hard-earned prizes now.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
ohhh man... bring back old memories..

I hope your story has a happy ending like mine. I had Roto-Rooter @ my house and my M4 went missing!!!! I asked everyone and no one claims they A) saw it B) touched it C) moved it

I of course though it was the Roto-Rooter guy.

Then the light appears in a plastic bag hanging on the back of a chair… one of my umm… "house mates" we'll call here Carol to protected the careless light grabber had moved the light on me.. I got a luck break and I hope you do to bro!!!

Oracle

Newly Enlightened
cyberhobo said:
You should pat your guest workers down before they enter and before they leave. If they don't consent, tell em' to scram!

Maybe setting up a bunch of nanny cams would be a good idea when having workers in your house.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Given the value of that light, I'd report it as stolen to the police. It helps if you have a serial number, pics, or other identifying marks police can go by to recognize it.

Topper's absolutely right. Make 500% sure it not wedged behind the headboard on your bed (that's where I found my X5-HA after I blamed every other person in my office). :)

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
Please do everything in your power to double and triple check every where you might have left it before going to far with accusing folks. I for one have in the past "thought" things were stolen only to be very sorry when they seem to "turn up"...right where I left them.
Topper :ohgeez:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Topper. There's a lot of accusing and a lot of post encouraging all sorts of actions, police involvement, and whatever else wannabe lawyers do, but if one of the first things you did was to make this posting and then start making accusations as to who may have stolen it, you might also want to prepare a statement of apology in the event that you find the light (and given your description, it could be very much 50-50 at this point.)

Seems that there was a similar situation just a week or two ago.

Backtrack and try to remember what you were doing and where you were doing it. Since you were fresh out of bed and getting dressed to go to work, there's probably a number of places where it could have just been misplaced, especially if you were in a hurry. Additionally, you may not have been following your normal routine since the lights were out. But if you find a burn spot in your sheets ... start looking for a flashlight with exhausted batteries :)

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
Sorry you lost your light.
That is one reason why I'm always home when work is being done.
And, since I'm a contractor, I expect nanny cams in all my client's homes.
They want to see you working.
I think the nanny cam craze just happened recently. or at least I've noticed them just recently.
On the other side, make sure you back tracked all possibilities.
I've had a relative yell at this poor girl who he let stay while he was on vacation and accused her of stealing an autographed record.
She didn't and now the friendship is ruined forever.
Moral of that story, don't let people stay at your place if you have valuables in the home. Sure that person may be a friend, but that friend will bring in their friends.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I'll add my voice to the chorus - quadruple check everywhere for that light before you go on an accusatory rampage. The fact that you used it, then later noticed it missing COULD indicate that you misplaced it or THINK you put it back, but didn't. Check check check. It could be anywhere - retrace your steps. Check your car, your jacket. Under things. Behind things. Then, and only then, formally accuse if you so choose - though it is likely to net you nothing, unfortunately. If an electrician did pocket it, he can deny it and lose nothing, or admit it and lose his job.

I had an electrician (nothing against electricians, just a coincidence) steal a video camera from my workplace. We thought it was him, and later, when he was finishing the job, he was found stealing another expensive piece of electronics. though he was guilty of both thefts, we only recovered the second item that he never got off premises with - the video was gone. Further investigation led to the discovery that he was awaiting sentencing for...(drum-roll please) an accessory to MURDER rap, and knew he was going away for a few decades. Nothing to lose - why not steal?

BTW - If you have homeowners or renters insurance, it should be covered, and check around, if it is really gone, it might not be the only thing missing!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks. :(

It's events like this that the service people we've had in the house, a party representing the homeowner over age 18 has to be present.

If you can at least file a report and make a claim to the service company about this possible loss. Ruling out that the flashlight rolled off or is misplaced by accident.

Long ago, we had a termite fumigation and my parents when re-organizing their stuff found their chest of silverware had been "lightened". You couldn't tell because the silver was all wrapped in their pouches. They thought the chest was a bit light when moved. Anyway, they made a claim on their home owners insurance and at least were compensated for ACV.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very sorry to hear about the loss. I agree that it's vitally important to double check then check again your whereabouts concerning an item, yet the simple fact remains, your light was not where you last used it less than 12 hours before the loss was discovered. Unfortunately I recall a similar tragic event with an family heirloom wedding ring. I was working with home security company (at that time a known force in the biz)when I learned about a theft at a customer's house. To add even more headache the victim was a pretty sharp capitol hill WASH DC lawyer. Here is the point: one of the installers was a convicted violent, theft felon who later failed a polygraph. No, the company NEVER checked out the installer I still cringe at the thought. BTW nothing happenned to the scumbag. he got fired, BFD
given the price, as well as uniqueness of that light, ebay should be monitored. a pawn shop probably can't do much with it because most folks can't appreciate a $200+ flashlight.
filing a loss with homeowner's insurance sounds like a good idea. maybe they can play the heavy by asking the tough questions. as far as checking out criminal backgrounds, don't overlook the arrogance shown by some employers when considering public safety.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I REALLY dislike service personnel in my home. *REALLY*.

I have to secure all the good stuff before they show up, and I usually follow them around to 'assist' - but really more to keep an eye on them.

Sorry to hear about your light. I really hope that it's just a forgetful moment, that it's misplaced and that it shows up soon. Few things are worse than being violated in your own home.

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
Firebladz said:
P.S. If anyone sees this torch on ebay or on here please help me...

It is a McGizmo 2x CR123 body with a two stage clicky flared end cap and a vital gear head and a 5watt LCD...

5watt LCD running off 2x CR123 ? Wow, where can I buy such LCD unit ?

Just kidding, sorry about your loss.

It may be a good idea to have a lost & found thread for flashlights, where the light owner can post a picture of the lost light & serial number, reward offer, etc on CPF.

Firebladz

Newly Enlightened
firefly99 said:
5watt LCD running off 2x CR123 ? Wow, where can I buy such LCD unit ?

Just kidding, sorry about your loss.

It may be a good idea to have a lost & found thread for flashlights, where the light owner can post a picture of the lost light & serial number, reward offer, etc on CPF.

Actually it was a G&P Luxeon V, sorry just wanted to clarify...

I appreciate all the comments and I will keep you guys posted on how this unfolds...

Firebladz.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOF. I freakin' HATE that feeling. When you suddenly realize that someone else has something of yours.

I had $20 Mechanix gloves taken and I was LIVID. I can't imagine a sweet light like that. But like someone else says, the only thing worse is freakin out and pointing fingers when you realize it's misplaced at home. Do a thorough check.

And that's also a reason I don't leave strangers in my house unsupervised.

Hope it works out okay. And don't sweat it. Don't let it get to you. Life is too short to let things eat at you like that.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Do you live in Canada? If so then this advice may not be 100% correct but: After you confirm it is just not misplaced I would insist on filing a police report. Looking at Canada's criminal code, if one of the workers took the light they committed the offense of theft. Saying they can't prove it is just a cop out. It may be that they can't prove it. A clever investigator may just be able to prove it.

I worked a case a few years ago where a lady had her wallet stolen from her purse by an employee of a moving company. To make a long story short I called the suspect and told him that she had a nanny cam and it caught him taking her wallet. He confessed and I got the lady's property back.

If nothing else, his name will be on a report in the system as a suspect in a theft. If it happens again that he is listed as a suspect in a theft, that gives the investigator that much more leverage against him.