any way to run a modded lola in the sf m6?

glock35guy

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering if there is a way to run lower lumen lamp assembly's in the m6...The last time I checked the LOLA for the m6 was undergoing redesign..Could you run the m3t assembly with 3 x dummy cr123 and 3 live ones?? Any other ideas would be welcome...

Thanks!

BEn

ptirmal

Enlightened
the m6 produces 9v which drops to 7-8v quickly... any m3 bulbs would work with longer runtime, no dummies required

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think that you will need the turbohead LA. Run MN15 or MN16. You would get good runtime with either of these LA's.

Bill

ptirmal

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill said:
I think that you will need the turbohead LA. Run MN15 or MN16. You would get good runtime with either of these LA's.

Bill
the m3 lamp assemblies are the same for turbo heads and regular heads... The m3/m4 and m6 lamp assemblies are designed the same, all interchangable in the head's... as well as the kt1 and kt2

You'd probably get more than an hour with a mn16, a lot more with a mn15...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an interesting thought, I wonder if the MN15 would actually not go POOF on the double load of the M6, since it doesn't have much drop in voltage at that level.

If not, it should run for a couple hours.

Bill

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
What bwaites said!!! The MN15 and MN16 lamp assemblies would go poof, in the M6.

There is a way to do it, but you need to load the M6 battery magazine with only three (3) batteries, using a voltage tester. There is a specific combination, which will give you 9 volts on three batteries, with the M6 battery magazine. You can also use the N2 lamp assembly, with the three (3) battery combination.

oldgrandpajack

PS: Be sure to use a voltage tester, before trying a lamp assembly. Nine volts, with only three batteries, when using the MN15, MN16, and N2 lamp assemblies. Don't want to destroy perfectly good lamp assemblies, by testing with them, instead of a voltage tester.

Last edited:

ptirmal

Enlightened
Has anyone actually had the m3 lamps blow??? I'm pretty sure the voltage sag of the mn20 and mn21 lamps are actually greater and bring the voltage down to about 7.2v... the m3 won't have that great of a draw and should be able to handle the 6xcr123a's, as theyre designed for a higher voltage...

I may be wrong but I know people run 2 x 18650's to both the m6 lamps and m3 lamps... they dont sag nearly as much as cr123's and they dont blow

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
oldgrandpajack, have you had M3 LA's blow in the M6, when using six cells =9 volts, as in stock M6 battery pack configuration? That would be approximately 2600mAh rating for that 9 volt pack. Your other configuration is 3 CR123's and 3 dummy cells in correct arrangement in M6 pack, testing, like you said, to be sure for 9 volts.

Bill

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want longer run time, get a light with run time in mind (uhm, if you stick to SF, the U2, L2, L1, and E2L come to mind) have a dedicated work light.

I run my M6 strictly HOLA, ain't nothing like it (in terms of size, robust construction, looks), hard to step back down in lumens (like say a G2Z.)

If you really want to, you can put a KL6 on there for ~ 3 1/2 of regulated light.

I am not going to drop $20-$25 on a lamp just to test. If anyone is up for it, please report :)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on some of you have been around long enough to know better. There have been many attempts to run the MN15-16 in the M6 and they have all blown with in two minutes. The MN20-21 are designed to run on the voltage drop that two sets of 123's gives you and the MN15-16 for just one set.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Bullzeyebill said:
oldgrandpajack, have you had M3 LA's blow in the M6, when using six cells =9 volts, as in stock M6 battery pack configuration? That would be approximately 2600mAh rating for that 9 volt pack. Your other configuration is 3 CR123's and 3 dummy cells in correct arrangement in M6 pack, testing, like you said, to be sure for 9 volts.

Bill

EDIT: I'm aware that the Surefire M6 is running at nine volts, with all six batteries installed in the MB20.

I've never done it myself, having read old posts where other members tried it, and detroyed the KT4 Bezel on the M6, when the MN15, MN16, or N2 lamp assemblies blew up, using all six batteries. It's a shame that so much of that old information is hard to find.

You don't need or want dummy cells, with the three cell (nine volt) configuration. All you need is a voltage tester. There used to be a photo showing the proper configutation. But, with the server change, I can't find it. Two of the batteries are on one level of the MB20, and one battery is on the other level.

oldgrandpajack

PS: I use the KL6 on my M6, when I want to stretch out the life of the batteries. It's much easier, and lasts longer. PLUS IT LOOKS COOL!

Last edited: