9 LED Mini-Mag

McGizmo

Flashaholic
So is anybody interested in trying to complete this picture?
9kit-mag-head.jpg

Darell thinks it's a domino so I should explain a bit.
I contracted for some rubber (EDPM) disks to hold 3 mm LED's for some simple 12 vold LED lights that I make for permament installations. It just so happens that what I call my 9star fits in the head of a Mini- Mag AA head like it was designed for it. The disk has an OD of 7/8". By removing the lens and reflector The disk fits in their space with a slightly compressed nice water tight seal. The disk also has an interference fit with the LED's so you have a watertight seal all around.

The burning question, or alternate (If you are thinking: "So what?"), is; is anyone of you LED driver gurus interested in coming up with a pill to make this thing work?

I can provide some interesting information on the 3 mm LEDs in terms of Nichia's specs and how these compare with the infamous NSPW500BS. I can also make a simple LED/Disk assembly available to interested parties for a very reasonable price. I won't waste anyone's time with more info unless,

1) there is interest
2) somebody can step up and offer a driver for this.

Incidentally, I also have a 7/16" OD disk which holds 3 T1 LEDs. This unit could go in an Infinity AA type light.

If anyone is interested or would like the luminous intensity specs of the 3 mm LED's let me know.

Thanks,
Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
One question.

On the completed assembly:

How do you envision turning it on/off?
Do you still want to retain the original feel of the screw on/off.

WayneY

McGizmo

Flashaholic
How do you envision turning it on/off?

I guess to retain the integrety of the light you would need to keep the switch system the same. Of course a tail cap switch would work as well. I'm just throwing this thing out here for anyone who might be interested in trying something different. I under drive this group of 9 NSPW312BS LED's at about 15 mA per LED and get some nice clean light. It would be interesting to see what it could do driven harder with a DC-DC converter in a flashlight.

Wayne,
Thanks for the responce. I thought this post was going to roll of the active list with a yawn
smile.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm telling you that looks so sweet and tempting....

If I did do something, I'm now thinking a special custom matching PCB that the LEDs would solder into to. The converter IC and associated components would also solder or have to be placed where the LED holes are not. I'm thinking the LT1932 IC driver would do the trick.

I've got two of the LT1932 ICs. Never opened the package.

I've got a rather full boat of projects going on right now. If you have the LED placement dimensions I could look into it and see what I might be able to do.

If you could post the hole to hole spacing I could start looking at it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dat2zip:

If you could post the hole to hole spacing I could start looking at it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9-disk.jpg

Wayne, If you e-mail me your physical address, I'll send you a couple of disks loaded with NSPW312BS LED's.

- Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Appreciate the offer.
smile.gif
I'd like to propose I make the Converter board to mate with yours and test it beforehand on the bench and send the proto to you.

I think you could then complete the total assembly. There appears to be other components to finish it off and I'm not very good mechanically.

If that works out, then we could look at the next step if you are interested in making them in larger quanities.

I think I have enough information at this time to get started.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wayne,
Sounds good to me. Let me know what I can do and I'll comply.
grin.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK,

Very preliminary evaluation just to look at component real estate in this diagram.

I haven't not used this IC (Linear technology LT1932) before and I need to prototype it and study the datasheet more.

It might take two of them, and that too should not be a problem after looking at this placement.

I'm not sure when my next window of time will be for this. Probably another week or so.

eval_placement9led.jpg

and here is the schematic.

It's a darn good thing I can edit my posts.
eval_sch9led.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Oh man. Do I need to run over to Buy/Sell/Trade and stand in line until these are for sale too?

What were the odds of that cool round domino fitting in the Minimag so well? If nothing else it sure look cool.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell,

You crack me up!!!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I'm going to post the design over in the electronics section to see if anyone overthere who has worked with this idea can lend a hand.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wayne,
That was fast! Cool! I think it would be a good idea if Darell did go get in line. Any line. He obviously respects you so maybe you could encourage him..
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Not to sound doubtful or anything, I like the whole idea and the way the CPFers get going on great stuff like this, but wouldn't these 9 LEDs get outshone by an Arc-LS or Lambda Illuminator? Cost-wise, the entire Lambda flashlight (I know, I know, that's IF you can get one) is still only $45, and if his upcoming "Pill" is even cheaper (and presumably still brighter) would this 9 LED thing still be as appealing? My Illuminator is brighter then my LightWave 4000 (with 10 overdriven LEDs), so -- whaddaya all say?

If it's the excitement and intrigue of developing something new, and that's an entirely cool concept of course, then someone can kindly tell me to butt out, but if it's just to develop a brighter mod for the MiniMag, then I would think the Lambda as well as the Arc-LS (and my -LS "second" is pretty darn bright, about the same as my Illuminator) is already Right There...IMHO!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Not to sound doubtful or anything, I like the whole idea and the way the CPFers get going on great stuff like this, but wouldn't these 9 LEDs get outshone by an Arc-LS or Lambda Illuminator? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree with this contention, but I'm guessing that there must be a major benefit in run-time advantage in going with the array vs. the Luxeon?

Lot's of times I find the Luxeon has more light than I need and can get away with a 3-LED array just as easily. I tend to be drawn to LED's for their run time capabilities and smooth light within working distance, as opposed to their raw light output..

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Mr Bulk and Slick,

I think both of your assesments are correct. I think it's a question of what is the intended use of the flash light and what are the desired parameters. This light couldn't hope to compete with a Luxeon where brightness at center of beam is the criteria. Let me pose possibly a weak analogy. If you want to light up your work bench from 4' above, would you use a 50 watt spot light or a 40 watt conventional bulb? For a flash light, consider your engine dying all of a sudden. You pop the hood to see what's what. Do you want a very bright narrow beam light or a very even, wide angle beam of less intensity?
This light will be a very differrent animal than a light with a LS.

It is probably better to compare it to an Inova X5. Unlike the Inova which has a beam angle of roughly 40 degrees, this light will have a beam angle of 70 degrees. With 9 LED's vs 5 LED's the brightness at center won't be as high as the Inova with new batteries but I'm guessing that with used batteries in the Inova and this guy being regulated, a parity of illumination could be reached at some point.
At any rate, this light is a flood light whereas most of the other flashlights would be considered spot lights.
I don't now if Craig has a regulated power supply in his bag of tricks but he has one of my 9star fixtures. It would be interesting to see what the beam pattern and intensity would be with 30 mA going through the LED's. Due to the three parallell circuits of 3 LED's in series, He would want to pump 90 mA through the light. (Probably take somewhere between 16 and 17 volts I'd guess)I know with my 9star and the three resistors potted in epoxy, this will generate some heat at 90 mA.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are folks out there that have mod'd a minimag with one white LED and a resistor.

They seem perfectly happy with just a single LED.

I have many LSs mods and I love them just like everyone else.

I am not going to think about the merits of usefulness or not. That is up to McGizmo. (IMHO).

Since he asked for help I/we should rally and help him out if we can.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I just took one look at it and said "WOW". It looked to nice to pass up. If there is a line forming I'm the one in front of Darell.
grin.gif
grin.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna have to agree with McGizmo here - there are lots of possible flashlight uses for the many different needs out there - broad, bright and even flood light can be very very desirable at times.

Case-in-point: anyone ever tried the 18LED Luxeon flood unit? Thats EIGHTEEN of those suckers without collimators, but if you expected ANY sort of hotspot or beam outta this thing, you'd be sorely disappointed. Its bright, sure, but in a way most flashaholics here don't crave or rave about. But it WAS built for a purpose - flood lighting/general illumination - and it works very well for it.

I think Don is on to something here where it comes to filling a niche, just like the CMG Infinity (who ever wanted to buy a dim LED flashlight - lots!). Who needs a minimag AA floodlight? I'd like one of these 9-LED thingies for BBQs - I've used an Arc-LS and its great for the purpose, but a wee bit much of a hotspot makes for inconsistent meat assessment
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure someone else out there probably has as good(?) a reason as mine to want one too
grin.gif

Sign me up as fella #03 (edited) on the order queue!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wayne Y,
I failed to comment that your circuit board would need to be less than .730" OD to fit in the bore of the Mag head. If your circuit had two lead wires with tinned leads, I assume these leads could plug into the sockets in place for the stock bulb. This should allow for the internal switch mechanisim to work as originally intended. If you are game to take this beyond the design stage, I really think I should send you the Mag light, disk and LED's. Further, I think in addition to me paying you for the circuit (hope it isn't too expensive
grin.gif
) I think that this prototype is yours! Hopefully it could be tested for beam pattern, quality and intensity as well as battery life. If such a test indicated any merit, then I see you as holding the future of this light in your hands and any of us interested could form a line where you tell us.
grin.gif
Again, my contribution can be the disk and/or LED's if needed (at a very reasonable price). If you're game, E me your address and the Mag and loaded disk is on its way to you.

Thanks,
Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Hmmm, I was thinking just the opposite.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

eval_placement9led1.jpg

I'm actually [Blub] [Blub] sinking as we speak!!!

I've got so many desigs in the works I'd love to stay 100% R&D. I was hoping you would take care of manufacturing.
wink.gif

Maybe someone else in CPF would be interested in making a limited run that we all could share together. I would offer to make the boards and possibly help in assembly of the components and or testing.

I've held back so far on selling mod'd flashlights since designing DC/DC converters consumes my spare time completely.

Here is the layout of a possible design that the LEDs from the disk would plug in and solder together to make a sandwich. Wires could be attached and plugged into the bulb base and if a spacer was added to take up the remaining reflector area the on/off feature could be reatained.

As for the dimensions. If my board is next to yours then does my board still need to have a smaller diameter??? The component placement is rather tight and at this point I know I can size down a tad, not sure exactly how far down the board could go.

WOW, I'm exhausted. Two boards in one night.

I just finished the LM2621 voltage regulator and etched to board tonight to evaluate it as a possible driver for the upcoming 5W Luxeon.

I'll think about it. Maybe I can hire some elves to work while I'm asleep!

I forgot, the center LED could be reversed so that the center horizontal row would all face the same direction.
smile.gif