some rats make great pets

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i no that the wild ones are bad and carry many bad things but the ones ya get at pet store are very cool as pets .there one of the few small pets that seldem bite i mean realy ya would to have realy did something wrong to get one to bite and even then i doubt they would and there very smart for there size here is more onfo i wanted to post a link from a mebers webpage but i forgot it
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/critters/rats/rat.php

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that domesticated rats are a fantastic pet, very inteligent and clean animals.

I`ve had a couple as pet`s and they are great, the only problem is that they only live for a couple of years.

Wild rats are a completely different thing, and i will kill them wherever i can find them, and have with anything i can get my hands on.

regards.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah the wild ones are scarey but i saw a show this week on tv where in india there is a templeand there had to be like 100000000 rats all over the places and they kinda worshiped em or something i was confused but they even drankform the rats bowl i mean the people did i was like wth thats gota be unsafe but non of the rats was biteing .i missmy pet rats. how they would sit on my shoulder and ticklemy ear then see something that they didnt liek and run into my shirt lol

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
When people came to my house.

I use to get my pet rat out to show them

I used to put it on a small stool in the middle of the room, about 3 feet away from the visitor.

and wait for the rat to leap onto their knees, and give them the fright of their lives.:lolsign:

regards.

sniper

Enlightened
Raggie: A good friend of ours had a pet rat, and pet rats may be all you say, but I still have problems with the thought. I still recall Life magazine pixes of New York City during the rat infestations of the 1920's. Yaaaaghhh!

The most common rat, Rattus norvegicus (Norway, or sewer rat) is the disease carrying, food ruining, little, fuzzy creature that brought us the Bubonic Plague in the Middle Ages. Can you say mega health hazard?

The common rat can chew through metal, plastic, or wood, will squeeze through tiny openings you wouldn't believe possible, can climb a brick wall like it was horizontal, and has absolutely no practical purpose that I can determine.

I believe that nothing was created without a purpose, but rats do come close.

IMHO The only good "wild" rat is a dead one, and they can get dead by whatever instrumentality one chooses, the more efficient, the better, thank you very much. If someone can make a sport of eliminating these and other pests, others should not become too upset because somebody may be having "FUN" while providing the service. Heaven forefend!

If they'd put a bounty of $1.00 on rats, the population would decline, and once again, an entire generation would thrill to the statement "He outsmarted the rat!" :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
them are the bad rats but of course they cant help they got infected .id guess it was the flea that started it but im no expert .i think at one time some country killed many snakes and a course snakes feed on rats so the rats became over popaleted .but i admit i aint sure if any of this is true lol

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Pet rats are cool, one of my friends has a couple of them. They can actually do some tricks :)

But the evil rodents from hell a.k.a. sewer rats are just about the only living animal I will use my airgun on (only thing allowed to have overhere) they really are good targetpractice :)

atm

Enlightened
James S said:
thats not a rat, it's filigree siberian hamster!

Basil!
icon10.gif

I've had a few pet rats (Basil and Manuel amongst others), they're fantastic little critters. At an animal shelter I worked at they used to cause a lot of amusement appearing out of sleeves, pockets, etc while talking to people.

The feral variety are a different matter again, especially when you find them eating the still live but weak young of farm animals like piglets and ruining stores of stock feed etc. However feral cats do the same and worse...

In the early 90s there was a serious mouse/rat plaque wehere I was working (the sort where they are everywhere, you can't keep them out of anything, they're all throughout the houses, you wake up and they're sitting on your pillow/bed etc, they carpet the ground around farm buildings, they chew through wiring and hoses on vehicles and the whole world stinks or dead rodents) but I still like the domesticated variety, much fun.

Andrew

maverick

Enlightened
MayCooper said:
Pet rats are cool, one of my friends has a couple of them. They can actually do some tricks :)

But the evil rodents from hell a.k.a. sewer rats are just about the only living animal I will use my airgun on (only thing allowed to have overhere) they really are good targetpractice :)

What kind of airgun you got? Is it actually powerful enough to kill or disable a rat?

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Don't hurt the rats, they are our only chance. Ever think about a heard of elephants stampeding? Who's gonna stop them? The rats will!

maverick

Enlightened
cyberhobo said:
Don't hurt the rats, they are our only chance. Ever think about a heard of elephants stampeding? Who's gonna stop them? The rats will!

Who's gonna stop them? Poachers!