Modding the finger light from Wal-Mart?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I picked up one of those $1.88 finger lights from WalMart today. They come with a blue LED and I want to replace it with one of the 25,ooo mcd white ones that I have.

Has anyone tried to open the case on this unit? It looks like there's several dabs of glue towards the front (LED) end of the unit. I'm worried about using a solvent 'cause the case itself might dissolve.

Any suggestions?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was looking at doing the same thing but the front plastic ring is glued on and also I think a peg in the middle is glued too. I don't see an easy way to mod it without buying 3 or 4 to rip to shreds to see how it is glued together.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah, I noticed the glue on that front plastic ring also. Bummer.

You're probably right. I'd have to purchase and then destroy several of them before I could get a single working mod.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Even if you can get it apart you will probably end up having to glue it back together which makes replacing the LED again even more of a hassle.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just stumbled across a source of finger lights with white LEDs in 4 colors of plastic
that seem comparable to the walmart ones. The look identical with the exception of the velcro used on them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
All the ones I have seen before have Blue LEDs in them, I came across a store that sells odd stuff cheap that has both the blue and white ones. I think I will check into shipping charges and see if anyone wants a few. If someone has a good knack with a digital camera that wants a few I have 8 of them, two of each color. The colors are RED, GREY, BLUE,and GREEN cases with white LEDs.... I estimate they are perhaps 16Kmcd.
I am looking around for a local source of the AG10? batteries they use to ship with them for those that cannot source them easily.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Dollar General store (everything is $1 or 2 for $1, etc)opened in town, and they sell blister pack of the AG10 cells at the checkout lanes.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
A Dollar General store (everything is $1 or 2 for $1, etc)opened in town, and they sell blister pack of the AG10 cells at the checkout lanes.
I have been to many Dollar General stores.

Dollar General is NOT a true "dollar store" in the common sense.
Although they do sell a lot of stuff for a dollar each, they are actually called "Dollar General" not because every item costs a dollar, but actually because everything they sell is priced in whole dollar increments. (e.g. $1.00, $2.00, $5.00, $8.00, etc.)

EDIT:
Seems that's not true. I have recently seen several items there that are not ending with a ".00".

So Dollar General is a complete lie, and unworthy of the "Dollar" in their name! :shakehead

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Since you started the thread if you PM me your address and I will try to send a few this week to check out or critique etc.
As for the AG10 I got the last bunch from a dollar store 8/1.00+tax I think it
was a dollar general store.

PhotonWrangler said:
Lynx, I'd like to get a couple of white ones.