Maglite question....

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I wonder if it is appropriate to ask a somewhat simple question. I have tried to search but realise from my results that I know nothing about flashlights (yet) as I have spent half an hour looking thru the results and have not started to find anything relevant..... I have been planning to purchase a Mag 2D but would like to use rechargeable NiCd batteries (D cell) instead of (obviously) nuying and throwing away alkaline batteries...my question therefore is whether a Mag 2D will work if I try this....and if not is it simple to 'mod'..?

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this, and I have heard someone else on a forum say that they were using C cell NiCD batteruies in their 4C Mag......

Thanks in advance!

igabo

Enlightened
You should be able to use 2 NiCd D cells, but, if you browse the forum a little more, you'll come to see that maglite's aren't exactly high quality lights that they were made out to be by the manufacturer.

Empath

Flashaholic
964, I'm sorry to see you were first greeted by one of our Mag bashing members first. There is nothing wrong with your Mag-Lite, and as long as it serves your purposes, needs, and brings you pleasure, it's a quality piece of art and technology.

NiCD drives your Mags well, and is not likely to be a problem unless you use a bulb that is very much dependent on a particular cell chemistry.

Welcome to CPF. We're an enthusiastic bunch.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello 964:)

Welcome here. For the Mags exists a lot of useful mods. Imo Mags are good lights. Specially for mods.
Please tell us exactly, what are you looking for. Incands, LEDs, perhaps NimH-cells? A lot of possibilitys.:)

What's about your uses? Which runtime you're looking for?

Best regards

_____
Tom

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

Thanks for quick replies. I am definitely open to suggestions re flashlights as I am not especially looking for a Maglite. I would like a durable torch for general use that utilise D cell NiCd batteries. My main interest is photography and as you can imagine the use of rechargeables is key for financial reasons....

As we are on the subject of lighting, I would also welcome any suggestions on whether a camping lantern that uses D cell batteries would also work on 1.2V Nicd's rather than standard D's....are there any specifically that will work or is it just all of them..? As you can see I am not clear on whether the difference between 1.5V alkalines and 1.2V Nicd's make a lot of difference....

Sorry for any silly questions here....:drool:

Newly Enlightened
p.s. as I have 8x D cell NiCd 5000mAh batteries lying around I figure I might as well use them.....:candle:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF 964.

The NiCDs will work as will NiMH batteries. NiCDs are excellent if you are going to use a high wattage bulb that draws a lot of current, but a bulb hot enough to tax a NiCD battery might melt the plastic reflector. :) You may experience lower initial output due to the lower running voltage of the rechargeable batteries, but as I'm sure you already know, the rechargeables have a bit more of a flat discharge curve, so your light will be relatively steady until the rechargeables reach the end of their charge.

With regards to the camping lantern, it most likely will, but again probably with slightly diminished initial brightness compared to fresh alkalines, especially if it is a 4 cell lantern. With 4 cell lanterns though, you can increase the output without damage if you can figure out a way to add a 5th cell (5*1.2V = 6V) to the battery chain.

Newly Enlightened
Thx....the reason I ask is that cameras are a bit more sensitive I think. Some years ago I had a camera which took 4xAA's but with 4x 1.2Nimh's it really didn't want to know......

Are there any torches at the same price point as the 2D Maglite that I should consider instead?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The market in the UK is a bit different. Don't know what might be comparably priced. In the U.S., Mag lights are incredibly low compared to points outside of the U.S. (about 10 quid at normal retail prices.) The other day I picked up a couple of 2D Mags for $10 (not £) each.

964 said:
Are there any torches at the same price point as the 2D Maglite that I should consider instead?

Newly Enlightened
Yep....don't i know it - the cheapest 2D I can find is around £18...or just over 30USD....

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
...which is a price "normal" in Euope :(

If to were not for photographing, I would say: "wait till the Led-models of this light appeare here", but for photogrphing nothing might beat an incan.
As already has been stated, with batteries the initial output might be higer, but after short time voltage drops below the one of rechargeables, till then the flat discharge rate of NiCad/NiHms will put out more light.

You cant go wrong with the light for the price (till You want something that LIGHTS) ;)

so say yellow (who rembers that annoying guy with this statement?) ;) ,
member of the mag-bashing club :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a efficient solution for you:)

You can buy a 4-D Mag and put in 4 of your D-Nicd cells. When you will take a LED-replacement for a 3-C/D LuxIII Mag (Diamond or Mag), you should have a good light.

Only an idea.

Best regards

____
Tom

jgdawes

Newly Enlightened
Even Mag-lites are expesive here in the UK, £14 for a mini-mag. I would suggest a Surefire G2 ordered from opticshq.com (excellent international service) using the CPF discount for about £20. It's as powerful as the mag but much smaller albeit with a shorter run time. The batteries are also excellent value. You'll want to be carefull with LED drop ins as I find correcting for colour temps is difficult with the small frequency spectrum.

Newly Enlightened
Thx for all the replies, it has been really helpful. I am not planning on using the torch for photography - just to clear that up - but rather I have a lot of batteries lying around that I want to use.

Thanks all!!