Flashlight run times for MADMAX and BADBOY

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The burning questions are:

How bright is that light?
How long does it run for?
How stable is the light output over the battery life?

These questons and more are answered for the MAXIM 1674 DC/DC converter and the BADBOY converter now available on my web page.

Run time light output for Maxim 1674 and BADBOY

A little background info.
Batteries: Kirkland, Duracell, Energizer, Kodak 1600maH NIMH.

BADBOY setup: Constant current regulation of 500mA.

MAXIM 1674. Dialed in to try regulating 3.4V.

(You results and gas mileage might be different).

Enjoy!!!

-WayneY

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Wayne,

Excellent data, but need a couple data point for it all to come together, at least for me: for some of us, Footcandles is not a real familiar unit, how bright is 250fc anyway? Plus, I suspect different testers will get different measurements because of varying test methodology (center vs. off-axis, whatever else), different equipment, etc. Could you post a couple measurements, by your methodology, for a couple well-known flashlights of roughly the same brigthenss as your Red Mag, and ideally a measurement for an Arc SLS if you have one? (I won't push it by asking for an LI measurement
grin.gif
) Don't need to see the whole runtime chart, just the fresh-battery data point would be great.

Thanks much,
Sal

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The readings are direct CD. Though the reading is FC, the Measured flashlight is 1FT from the meter so these are in CD. This should correlate directly with other measured units.

I believe this to the be the correct explanation that measuring 1FT from the light meter will then be CD.

If I'm wrong let me know and I'll adjust the graphs accordingly.

It might be that I should label the vertical column CD instead of FC. ???

If I read how Craig makes his measurements, it should be the same as his setup.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Wayne,

Oh ok, great, that's perfect then. Just popped on over to LED museum and it does seem to match up the way you say.

Does anyone have a measurement for Arc SLS? There is only one for a prototype at the LED museum, which I figure is not indicative of current production.

Thanks,
Sal