LS in a ProPolymer 4AA - Possible?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well, Lambda, et al - can this be done, or would there be heating problems (i.e., no metal body for a heatsink)?

Just throwing a handful of sugar on the fireant mound...
cool.gif

P3

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Do you mean a plastic bodied 4AA torch?
It all depends on how hard you want to drive your LED. Plastics do not conduct heat very effectively, and the LED at full power will get hot if the torch is used for extended periods. This is unlikely to melt the torch but will shorten the LED's life.
I do make and modify plstic-bodied torches myself using modified PR Bulb bases, or replacing the assembly with a cluster of LED's, but this is using much lower powered 5mm LED technology.
Some of my metal-bodied torches are somewhat over-run, but the LED leg is heatsinked by the body of the torch.
I am looking to mod a large plsstic torch with luxeon technology, butb I hv got to find a way of increasing the torch's thermal mass before I go ahead with the mod.

jeff1500

Enlightened
How about making a heat sink out of copper roof flashing? It bends easily and can be soldered.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ParaPyroPig:
Well, Lambda, et al - can this be done, or would there be heating problems (i.e., no metal body for a heatsink)?

Just throwing a handful of sugar on the fireant mound...
cool.gif

P3
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and no. If your willing to limint the current to about 250ma, it should work fine. Driving any harder and your testing the thermal meltdown properties of the plastic.......

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
If your willing to limit the current to about 250ma, it should work fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

@250ma, will it have the same output as say, the LI or the Pill?

Thanks for your attention to this Lambda.

P3
grin.gif

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
"@250ma, will it have the same output as say, the LI or the Pill?

Thanks for your attention to this Lambda.

P3"

No, the LI runs at 500+mah. The maglight drop in at 350mah. Elektrolumens runs his luxeons at around 750mah. If you direct drive, you can give it about an amp of power.

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff in Philly:
so the drop in will not be as bright as the LI?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this is because the drop-in won't have the same heatsink technology as the LI. It should be as bright as an Arc LS, since they run at 350mah.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pill will be as bright as the Illuminator, but it will run hotter due to the lack of a true heatsink. However, 129F is the max I've measured the Luxeon at, which is well with in specs. Measurement made at 78F room temp. Higher ambient temps will produce higher internal temps; just the law of physics......

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Putting an amp thru the Luxeon would result in the torch becoming a molten mass in your hand unless you can find some serious heatsinking. What shape and design is your 4AA polypropylene torch?

As for my Tandy 5D torch, I may replace the front glass with a heavy piece of metal and surface mount the Luxeon(s) on that. Further heat capacity could be gained by lining the inside of the torch with copper, or by reducing the cell capacity to 4 D cells and placing a D cell sized dense piece of solid metal at the front of the torch directly behind and thermally connected to the Luxeon assembly. This will not take heat away from the torch but will store it safely.

Alexis

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
The Pill will be as bright as the Illuminator, but it will run hotter due to the lack of a true heatsink. However, 129F is the max I've measured the Luxeon at, which is well with in specs. Measurement made at 78F room temp. Higher ambient temps will produce higher internal temps; just the law of physics......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to misrepresent you Lambda. I must have gotten all these threads about luxeons mixed up in my mind.

I've got friends who are will be at their computers all day June 15th, refreshing your website.
smile.gif