Fun with Scotch tape: Arc AAA beamshaper

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...I felt as if i haven't been contributing much as a CPF member lately. I think i've been making silly comments here and there, but none of my posts can compare to some of the major technical info that has been dominating this board. I wish i knew more about electronics so that i can actually utilize all this useful info!

But anyway, here is my contribution...i'm proud of it, so enjoy it.

The story begins...
I love my EV Arc AAA, but with a beam like this, the intense green splotches get distracting for close range use...
fda8f9c1.jpg

So i got creative with regular 'ol scotch tape.
fda8f9be.jpg

Step one, cut a peice and slap it to the head of the light like this...
fda8f9aa.jpg

Then cut around the head using the edge of the bezel as a guide...
fda8f9a2.jpg

It should be cut as close as possible to the edge of the bezel like this...
fda8f99c.jpg

The finished mod...
fda8f998.jpg

Here is what the beam looks like now:
fda8f992.jpg

I've had this mod for about a month now. It has been in and out of my pockets and even in the shower again. And the tape is still on.
ENJOY!

*Attention moderators, if the pictures cause a problem for CPF, then let me know right away. I will just simply delete it with no problems.*

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
it looks brighter because i failed to use the same shutter and apature settings for the beam shot. But my intentions were to just focus on the beam pattern.

The tape actually doesn't seem to decrease light intensity when used for close up work, but for further illumination, the beam is just too dispered to equal the original beam pattern...but you'll be suprised how usuful it still is!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I've used the same technique on my ARC AAA's, except using clear packing tape, to create a clear cover for the led and reflector. I've polished the reflector with polishing compound and Q-tips and wanted to keep the reflector clean.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
cool mod.
Roy, what polishing compound did you use? Did it gunk up the led? tell me more....

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Geoff,
I think it was Jeweler's Rouge(sp), a redish brown compound that came with a Dremel tool set. Toothpaste with baking soda will work also. Use SPARINGLY and you will still need to use a toothpick to get whatever compound you use out of the bottom of the reflector next to the led. Take your time and use plenty of Q-tips and you will be rewarded with a mirrorlike finish! Don't know if it helps the beam pattern, but it looks cool!

Streak

Enlightened
Taking a look at the reflectors in both SF6P's and Streamlight Scorpions, they are both orange peel type surface as opposed to polished. Not sure of the technical reason but you can be sure that there is a good one! Makes me think twice about polishing the ARC AAA reflector and then having to unpolish it afterwards!!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streak,
Don't worry about that. The LED is prefocused so the reflector has little effect. On the other 2 lights you mentioned, the light comes out the side & the reflector converts it to a beam. TX

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
I've done the scotch tape mod to a white AAA myself; it makes for a better reading light, but for other things, it's better with the tape off. But WOW!
shocked.gif
the effect on the turquoise is outstanding! they should come like that from the factory!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the exact same thing for my EV but added another layer of electrical tape pulled tight around the head so it wraps itself around the edge to hold the scotch tape in place.

But...

For indoors its great, but outside the beam doesn't project as far and you don't notice the irregularities as much anyway. So I took it back off.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by cave dave:
For indoors its great, but outside the beam doesn't project as far and you don't notice the irregularities as much anyway. So I took it back off.

My thoughts and experiences exactly! I actually just take it off when i know i need to use it outside. The mod is so easy to do though that i don't feel so bad taking it off.

yclo

Flashaholic*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Streak:
Taking a look at the reflectors in both SF6P's and Streamlight Scorpions, they are both orange peel type surface as opposed to polished....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These high powered incandescent lights have orange peel reflectors to eliminate the "rings" or other imperfections in the project beam spot. It does so at the cost of a little brightness. Lights such as the ASP have polished reflectors and will throw further but the spot will not look as nice when shining on the wall.

YC