My Brinkmann/MagLite/Opalec light!!!!

Newly Enlightened
While working on my direct drive Brinkmann 3AA LS, I tried something interesting:

I took my Opalec Newbeam out of my Mini MagLite, and took out the Mini MagLite's internals. I removed the Brinkmann internals (this is a pain the is @ss because of a tension ring), and inserted the Mini MagLite's internals into the Brinkmann Legend 3AA.

Next, I just mounted the Opalec Newbeam. It took a little minor fitting, but it WORKED! Bad @ss! I also inserted the spacer for the focusing dome.

I had no problems with overheating, and nothing burned out after about 100 on/off cycles. I left it on for a few minutes with no problem. The brightness didn't change, as far as I could tell. Hey that regulation must really work.

So now if I wanted I could have an Opalec that lasts 1/3 longer. If the 2AA MagLite lasts 20 hours on alkaline batteries, perhaps this B/M/O mod will last 30 hours. Would it last 60 hours using Lithium AA? Now that would be one awesome SHTF light!

Brock

Flashaholic
The Opalec shouldn't have a problem with 3 cells. In the test I ran I got just over 8 hours of full output, so I would imagine on 3 cells you should get over 12, probably more since the overall voltage would be higher. Lithium AA's don't have much more overall power, they can just release it much faster and smoother. For a light like the Opalec, you don't need lithiums and would probably only gain 5% to 10% in runtime. Although, lithiums do hold thier voltage longer, so maybe it would run even longer?

Newly Enlightened
I thought that lithiums would provide longer run times. The plot of intensity as a function of time for various batteries on the LEDmuseum:
graph4.gif

shows that the Lithiums doubled run-time. Why would the Opalec have different results?

Brock

Flashaholic
It very well could. I suppose I should burn a set up and find out for sure. The reason I didn't think it would be double is a regular AA Alkaline is rated at 2850mA at 1.5v, the lithium AA is rated at 2900mA at 1.5v. So there isn't much more total power in the battery, it is more how the power is pulled out.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
The graph shows 2 lithium aa have twice the runtime of 1x123. The line for 2 alkaline AA is missing.

Newly Enlightened
Your right! I didn't even notice.
I found the plot from Chris' post on ARC LS runtime, and it has the info I need:

arclsbatterygraph.gif

This plot is actually complete. You are correct, Brock, the run-time is not significantly longer. Both battery types run out around 5.5 hours, the big difference is that the Lithium maintains a higher intensity. But both batteries tend to significantly reduce intensity after 5.5 hours.

Lithium are indeed better, but the price does not justify the cost for every day use. For a field light or SHTF light, I would use the lithium AA, but not for snooping around my garage at night.

Latest posts