laser for 205?

UnknownStriker

Newly Enlightened
I heard a buddy of mine say that some here is still selling the laser for 205? true? if so where can i go to get 1?

Athoul

Enlightened
Those are good lasers, but they contain 500mW diodes, not 1Watt.. not sure where you got that info from.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I'm not exactly sure of the diode rating either. CNI said that they are 1W though. I don't have a quote of that though since I deleted all the emails after the group buy ended.

dr_lava

Enlightened
deleted all of the emails!? I don't think I have ever deleted an email related to a transaction, especially ones that I was in charge of for a lot of people.

That aside, I imagine these could be tweaked to 120-150mW. Anyone succeeded in that?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I deleted them after everyone received their lasers safe and sound. Was there harm in that? I could just contact the CNI representative that I talked to and work things out if anything got out of hand. I exchanged around 40 emails with him over the course of a month and have complete confidence that he would listen to what I say.

If anybody figures out how to remove the module from the casing, let me know. You're certainly not going to drill a hole and do a simple "pot mod", the casing here is 3/16" thick.

dr_lava

Enlightened
OK.
Anyway, if the case is solid except for the ends, it might open up like a leadlight. That is, the front is press-fit in and must be pried with a blade. as for the modding, yes if there is no pot, a solder-resistor mod is in order. Wish I had $200 to blow, I'd be on it!

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Unlike a leadlight, the module does not screw off with the front cap. This is what it looks like with the front cap off:
IMG_0734.jpg

You can see the IR filter epoxied to the module. You might get the module out by the front by screwing a male fitting with the same size threads as the inside of the module, but then you risk destroying the entire laser. Because of this, the laser isn't worth modding IMO.

Last edited:

dr_lava

Enlightened
those two round holes in the outer ring look to me like they are what is used to screw the ring in to hold the laser in there. I'd try unscrewing the ring as it appears that it uses the same threads as the front cap. You'll need a certain tool for that, similar to a c-lock stretcher.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Done
IMG_0735.jpg

The outer ring comes off, but turning the ring beneath that is not a good idea. It is connected to the module and turning it misaligns it with the button, causing the laser to not turn on. Scared me there for a sec :(

dr_lava

Enlightened
cool, so turning the next layer will remove the whole laser. Just have to be worried about the on switch and the interlock at the end. The on switch must just need alignment, was there any increased resistance as you turned the laser module out of the tube, or did you just stop when you realised the button stopped working?

As for the interlock, does it have leads or does it just prevent a complete circuit with the end battery? If it has wires that go to the laser module, they will have to be desoldered.

Athoul

Enlightened
It looks very well put together.

Just a note though, you will want to make sure that when twisting the laser out of the housing, you are not twisting the leads of the diode that are attached to the driver board. I've seen cases in other lasers where the diode was ripped right off of the board due to similar action. Just a note to tread with caution and care, don't force anything!

If you can get it apart I look forward to seeing the pictures of the internals ;)