UWOJ The best configuration..

dpled

Enlightened
I am looking for sum advice on how to run a UWOJ.

Whats the best converter board... mA ect. And just how good is the U bin?

Thanks

FirstDsent

Enlightened
UWOJ is my favorite emitter.
A UxxJ bin Luxeon III at the top of its range for flux and the bottom of its range for Vf is arguably the best readily available LED emitter for flashlights. A good X-bin Luxeon V may put out more light, but cannot be made to throw like the U-bin. Plus, an X-bin Lux V is pretty hard to come by. Even the K2 has not been shown to compete with a good U-bin.

That's why I'll still pay a premium price for the UWOJ emitters.
By the way, WO is my favorite color.

Bernie

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best converter board will be dependant on what battery configuration you'll be using and what kind of run time you expect to get from your batteries. If you intend to run that UWOJ at higher currents then proper heatsinking becomes very, very important as well.

Niteowl

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
The best converter board will be dependant on what battery configuration you'll be using and what kind of run time you expect to get from your batteries. If you intend to run that UWOJ at higher currents then proper heatsinking becomes very, very important as well.

How about a 2C Mag using alk. or NiMH. NG 500 or 750 best? Still need to remove anodizing from inside tube? Or would 3x123 w/DB take better advantage of U-bin. I've got a couple blue 2C's to pop leds in.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
NG750 *might* run in regulation, but it's on the edge I'd say. In a large light you have room for heat management so might as well try to make it as bright as possible.

I'm going to run my u-bin at 917ma via a Wiz2 w/3xNiMH. I wanted 1000ma, but there is no wiz2 that high.

dpled

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the tips, now I must try to configure this into a Vital Gear FB2...anyone have any pics of there modified FB2 and what they did to it.

Thanks