Accessing the module in the GPL-III-A 80mw.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Damn you dr_lava for giving me a heart attack for the last 30 minutes! (j/k) I thought I broke my laser! After I figured that the laser module slides out of the tube instead of twisting out, I fiddled it for a while, jammed the pushbutton, which in turn broke one of the contacts of the actual switch. After a solder job, it works again.

The outer ring acts as a wire for the positive terminal of the laser which connects the case to the module. The inside of the case before the threads at the front is painted and nonconductive. The IR filter/lens assembly can be twisted out after the outer ring is removed to expose the diode. The red LED that lights up to signal "power" is embedded inside the module.

To remove the module:

1: Remove the front cap.
2: Use a thin strong metal rod (like my small torx wrench) to remove the outer ring.
3: Push the module out slowly from the back while the pushbutton is facing DOWN so that the pushbutton doesn't get jammed.

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Let the modding begin! If you look down the tube of your laser, you can also see a small flatheaded screw in the rear of the module. Maybe this is a potentiometer? If any of you guys have the balls to try to mod yours, post it up! I already had a heart attack opening this thing :)

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have some nuts :)

How does the front cap come off? Com on turn that little screw :)

Mac

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Turn the front cap hard. It has threadlock on it. Don't be worried about damaging the aperture mechanism. Just turn it hard.

dr_lava

Enlightened
:) glad I could help a little, nice work. You take nice macros. Maybe post a few of the front and back of the board so we can see part numbers and traces.

Athoul

Enlightened
Whups, I had responded to the other thread. I didn't realize you had gotten it out! Great job there ;)

Do you know if the pump diode is a 9mm, 5.6mm or a c-mount type?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
More pics:
IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

It's hard to get a shot of the diode, so I have no idea what kind it is. It's roughly 9mm in diameter though.

Last edited:

Athoul

Enlightened
Nice, from the looks of it, it would appear that it is a 9mm can.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you figured out what that bottom screw is for? Does it connect to the board?

Mac

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
The bottom screw is imbedded in the nylon, which is glued to the aluminum. There's no way of taking it apart.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNinjaP90 said:
The bottom screw is imbedded in the nylon, which is glued to the aluminum. There's no way of taking it apart.

I thought you mentioned this screw may have been a pot adjustment screw.

Mac

Madz

Enlightened
a while ago :rock: if you go up a couple posts you will see a picture of the back of the laser module (the pic where you see the spring like battery contact) there is a little hole in the plastic where you can see a screw. That is the pot.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for confirming that :D

Is this in any way acessable without taking the laser apart..I guess if i had a loong flat head screwdriver it could be done.
What is the best approach?

Benny

Madz

Enlightened
Getting a eight inch jewelers screw driver has been the weapon of choice.

comozo

Enlightened
FNinjaP90 would you post some more photos of the optical assembly ?

Thanks

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
All the possible pics of the optics are already posted in my original post
dunno.gif

tehota

Newly Enlightened
Gary/Ninja, Madz,
I did not receieve the laser yet, I am not sure if you got the e-mails I sent you?
I figured you may see this message if there was a problem with the e-mail delivery while you guys worked on the site?

I know you said you sent it on Monday/tracking so it should have arrived?

The reason I am concerned is in another thread a gentleman has been waiting also for his laser from Lucent, he had contacted your partner Madz..John did not get the first laser you sent him either, so you can see how I might be concerned.

Any update would be appreciated.

EDIT: Saturday..still no laser and no tracking change.....

Ed

Last edited:

wileecoyote

Newly Enlightened
tehota said:
Gary/Ninja, Madz,
I did not receieve the laser yet...waiting also for his laser from Lucent...Any update would be appreciated...Saturday..still no laser and no tracking change...
I recently ordered an NV-100 laser from Lucent. Paid via Paypal on Sun 1/7. USPS shipping label was printed on Mon 1/8. I received the tracking number from Gary on Thurs 1/11 via a PM on this forum. I have been checking the status every day since then and the USPS.com website still shows "Acceptance" status which has been the same since Monday.

I called USPS today to find out why the status is not updating and they explained that Delivery Confirmation labels are only scanned once at the point of origination and then once again at the point of delivery, so the status will never be updated until it is actually delivered. All they could tell me is that it is somewhere enroute and that it should arrive by Wed 1/24 at the latest.

I found this a little odd since even media mail or parcel post (which are the cheapest delivery options) usually reach my home within 3-4 days. I sure hope it isn't lost or delayed too much longer. I have a 3-day weekend and was planning to work with the laser but now I have to wait until next week due to the postal holiday on Monday.

Lucent: I recommend that you switch to USPS priority mail for all your deliveries, at least on anything over $100. This only costs about $1 more than the cheaper shipping options and your customers will be much happier without bothering you about delayed shipments. You can also use the free shipping boxes that are provided by the post office so the extra cost would be offset since you won't have to buy your own packaging. I would have gladly paid $1 extra to be using my NV-100 right now instead of waiting until Tuesday night of next week... :sigh:

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Guys, I'm VERY VERY sorry about this shipping delay. USPS claims a 3-5 day delivery so I usually take that for granted. From now on, all of our stuff will be shipped Priority. I hope they don't take that much longer.