Beyond Belief Mixup

Empath

Flashaholic
I just cannot imagine the grief and problems brought on by such incompetence, and failure to even use fundamental positive identification. Even the joy of one family finding their daughter is alive, is likely irreparably confounded by financial obligations made, documentation that will need reversed, and dealing with unmerciful insurance companies' wishes to be recompensed and corrected.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/14710474.htm

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a horror story that's virtually beyond comprehension. It's one of those things that is imposssible to imagine, without experiencing it directly. I do not know how any family could ever get past such a trauma.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is likely the most horrific news story I have ever heard of or read. Then with the blog. Wow. Totally takes all words out of my mouth. I really couldn't imagine for half a second what that family is going through. I pray for them, the girl that did make it, and that girls family.

-Cameron,

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mistaken identity in this case was probably pretty easy to do. Facial injuries often cause bruising and swelling like you cannot believe. That, and both girls were remarkably similar in appearance. In fact, there have been postings of side by side pictures of the two young women -- they could have been sisters. Just a rotten tragedy for all the families of those in the accident.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
not so unbelievable; Bruce went missing a few years ago -- his mother, his daughter all searched for years... his daughter's mother finally found a guy online who somehow (I have forgotten the details) discovered his body; it had been found years earlier by the police in the Joshua Tree desert, he had complete ID on him, including his address which was in part "Starfish Lane" -- the cops decided it was a "fake" address (name of street too fanciful for them?) and never notified anyone. The body was completely desicated from being out in the desert, and a finger was soaked in water in order to get prints from it...somehow this online guy found the records...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I read an earlier article on the tragedy and it had pictures of both women. (Couldn't find it to link.) Their faces were very similar. It was a bad wreck and both victims had major facial damage. It was a delayed miracle for one family, and a tragedy for the other. I don't think a "search for the guilty" is called for. JMHO.

Larry

greenLED

Flashaholic
"You can't imagine losing a child, then you think your daughter is gone but she's not, or you think your daughter is alive but is not," Tuttle said. "I can't imagine how you would handle something like that."
I'm just going to quote that comment... I cannot imagine the pain these families must be suffering. :candle:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Accident happened very near our home (40 miles). The Coroner of the County that accident happened, took complete responsibility. Truly a nightmare.

Accident caused body parts and identification to be strewn all over an area. (It apparently was a very dark evening and that stretch of interstate, is very desolate, other than traffic).

Coroner logically believed teachers and friends of the girls, that identified same; in retrospect he is appaled and knows that he should have handled differently. Imagine the circumstance; dark, horrorific accident, body parts and identification everywhere. Who would imagine that girls had similiar charateristics? See
Link

A horrible tragedy for all concerned .

jeffb

Last edited: