Anyone Familiar With These?

Athoul

Enlightened
I've not seen one of those before myself, though it looks like it's $45 wit hthe additional cupon mentioned in that other thread. I dunno it's probably a good laser, but for a 5mW you can't go wrong with sticking with a leadlight..imo.

Cavallo

Newly Enlightened
I just got one that looks identical to this one (case and all) from SurplusComputers.com for rather more than it's worth, I think. Like an ***, I did my homework AFTER making a purchase.

Anyway, everything is exactly the same except it came with duracells instead of some strange brand nobody's ever heard of. The cardboard box is marked GL-1-EX. Not sure exactly who manufactures this. The box has been customized for "Mr. Laser, INC." (You can tell because this part of the label is just ink on the surface of the finish rather than being printed as part of the halftone structure of the color background image. Yes - I work in printing so I noticed this obscure detail.)

Anyway, I took it apart rather easily as follows;

1) I took a business card and wrapped it around the silvery bit toward the front, and then clamped that part very tightly in a small pair of vise-grip pliers. This marred the finish a bit, so I used an old credit card instead. The tough plastic completely protected the finish from further damage.

2) Once in the vise grip, I applied considerable torque with the pliers and my other hand, which soon caused a small crunching sound. Turns out this was a small patch of very brittle, green glue shattering. Once that happened, some careful but forceful rocking and pulling completely removed the forward silver bit from the bumpy black bit within a minute or two. At one point, the button got hung up on the driver board, so I had to push everything back in and start again. There's a black foam donut in there that had to be removed to see this - easily done with tweezers.

3) Once open, it revealed a fairly standard internal arrangement based on photos I've seen here. I turned the pot nearly 270 degrees, and snipped the red APC wire (on the back of the circuit board on this one.)

4) I then simply pushed the silver bit back in (taking care to make sure the button was correctly seated,) and replaced the foam donut. I've had it apart a couple times now, and after the first time it became much easier, but still impossible to pull apart by hand.

Once I screwed the batteries back on, I noticed very little difference in daylight. In darkness, however, it went from the beam being practically invisible to being quite visible. I have no way of measuring this objectively, but subjectively it's quite a bit brighter under conditions from average night-time city streeghtlights to rural darkness. And things were pretty dry and clear last night - no haze or fog or anything.

It's not gonna light any matches, but I'm happy with my very first attempt.