Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries

Thread: Watch question - where to get watch-back removal tool?

Default Watch question - where to get watch-back removal tool?

Would like to change out the battery in a Seiko that my wife got me for Christmas 2 years ago. How do I get the back off? Or is it cheaper to take it somewhere and have it done?

Default Re: Watch question - where to get watch-back removal tool?

Sell it and buy an automatic.

Just kidding...they sell them on ebay pretty cheaply. Will pay for itself after a couple of battery changes. Just do a search for "watch back tool battery" (no quotes) and it should pull up quite a few. The one I was going to get was the adjustable spanner wrench type...and then I bought an automatic.

JM-99

http://www.ofrei.com/page215.html

If they don't have it, you don't want it.

*Flashaholic*

otto frei is an source as always...

poor man's watch forum is an excellent source of how to's including sources for tools and parts.

Flashaholic*

What you are probably looking for (for th Seiko) is sometimes called a watch "crab". (adjustable spanner wrench)

I just got a decent one from www.sciplus.com for $5.00 US (item #91902)
    Last edited by vcal; 06-04-2006 at 09:30 PM.
    Doug

Flashaholic*

I guess it depends on how the back is attached. I always assumed they were made so it is easy to change the battery. I always did it myself, but I remember the guy at Radio Shack offered to change it for me.

My very old Timex had a back that unscrewed. That was the toughest one, but somehow I was able to do it. I might have stuck a small screwdrive in one of the notches to get it to budge. I do remember putting my thumbnails in opposite notches to unscrew it. If I broke any thumbnails, I don't remember it.

My next watches had backs that simply pried off. I used my jack knife to get in the little crack to start prying. There was actually a notch at one point to make it easier.

I just looked at my current Casio and I see it has four little phillips head screws. Fortunately I have little screwdrivers.

Flashaholic*

Check the back of the watch to see what it looks like.

If it has a series of 6 notches around the perimeter, then you need a spanner wrench. You can buy them lots of places online or on ebay, also at Harbor Freight stores.

If it has little screws, then you need a little screwdriver.

If it has a whole bunch of little grooves around the periimeter, then you need a special wrench (Rolex watches are like this.)

If the back is completely smooth, then it probably pries off, such as with a knifeblade on the edge. (Just don't cut your fingers in the process.)
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

I went into Wally world not long ago to get the battery changed in my Sieko, but they told me they were not allowed to change them, but that I could buy a tool to remove the back and they would sell me the battery(?). Anyway, to make a long story short, I bought mine at Wally World, had the back off in a jiffy, and it worked like a charm. I've used it several times since. Handy little gizmo to have around and it costs less than $5!

mon90ey
    Last edited by mon90ey; 08-02-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spell check
    You only need three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape, and a flashlight. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape & if you can't fix it with a hammer, you WILL need the flashlight!

I used a small spare flathead screwdriver to pry the back off my watch recently. Sure there are official tools but that costs more money and I didn't feel like waiting.

DealExtreme has a nice 19 piece Universal Wristwatch Disassembly and Repair Tool - sku 15502 for less than 9 bucks that will open just about any watch. They also sell a fairly complete 20 piece "Professional" Watch repair set that includes the above mentioned tool- about 32 dollars. SKU 3638.

I've been thinking about ordering one of these after I had to pay through the nose to have a local jewelry store use one of these tools on my Luminox watch to install a new battery. Looks like exactly the same tool as the DX offer. Nice knurling on the handle by the way.
    Last edited by EZO; 08-02-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Flashaholic

I picked up the tool (with 2 different sets of pins) from Harbor Freight - I think I paid $5.