Watch question - where to get watch-back removal tool?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would like to change out the battery in a Seiko that my wife got me for Christmas 2 years ago. How do I get the back off? Or is it cheaper to take it somewhere and have it done?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell it and buy an automatic. :D

Just kidding...they sell them on ebay pretty cheaply. Will pay for itself after a couple of battery changes. Just do a search for "watch back tool battery" (no quotes) and it should pull up quite a few. The one I was going to get was the adjustable spanner wrench type...and then I bought an automatic. :)

JM-99

cy

Flashaholic
otto frei is an source as always...

poor man's watch forum is an excellent source of how to's including sources for tools and parts.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you are probably looking for (for th Seiko) is sometimes called a watch "crab". (adjustable spanner wrench)

I just got a decent one from www.sciplus.com for $5.00 US (item #91902)

Last edited:

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it depends on how the back is attached. I always assumed they were made so it is easy to change the battery. I always did it myself, but I remember the guy at Radio Shack offered to change it for me.

My very old Timex had a back that unscrewed. That was the toughest one, but somehow I was able to do it. I might have stuck a small screwdrive in one of the notches to get it to budge. I do remember putting my thumbnails in opposite notches to unscrew it. If I broke any thumbnails, I don't remember it.

My next watches had backs that simply pried off. I used my jack knife to get in the little crack to start prying. There was actually a notch at one point to make it easier.

I just looked at my current Casio and I see it has four little phillips head screws. Fortunately I have little screwdrivers.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the back of the watch to see what it looks like.

If it has a series of 6 notches around the perimeter, then you need a spanner wrench. You can buy them lots of places online or on ebay, also at Harbor Freight stores.

If it has little screws, then you need a little screwdriver.

If it has a whole bunch of little grooves around the periimeter, then you need a special wrench (Rolex watches are like this.)

If the back is completely smooth, then it probably pries off, such as with a knifeblade on the edge. (Just don't cut your fingers in the process.)

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I went into Wally world not long ago to get the battery changed in my Sieko, but they told me they were not allowed to change them, but that I could buy a tool to remove the back and they would sell me the battery(?). Anyway, to make a long story short, I bought mine at Wally World, had the back off in a jiffy, and it worked like a charm. I've used it several times since. Handy little gizmo to have around and it costs less than $5!

:wave:

mon90ey

Last edited:

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I used a small spare flathead screwdriver to pry the back off my watch recently. Sure there are official tools but that costs more money and I didn't feel like waiting.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
DealExtreme has a nice 19 piece Universal Wristwatch Disassembly and Repair Tool - sku 15502 for less than 9 bucks that will open just about any watch. They also sell a fairly complete 20 piece "Professional" Watch repair set that includes the above mentioned tool- about 32 dollars. SKU 3638.

I've been thinking about ordering one of these after I had to pay through the nose to have a local jewelry store use one of these tools on my Luminox watch to install a new battery. Looks like exactly the same tool as the DX offer. Nice knurling on the handle by the way.

Last edited: