PEAK
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 172

Thread: Orbs will be back

  1. #31
    Flashaholic* SolarFlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    607

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    laughs quietly to himself

  2. #32
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Anselmo, CA
    Posts
    178

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Raw Da? Hold one for me please Rob cuz I'm in for one. Love my NS so I know I'd be doubly pleased with the Raw Da.

    Steve

  3. #33

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    very interested. please put me on the list as this thing progresses. thanks!

  4. #34
    Flashaholic* blahblahblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by orb
    ...
    Perhaps I should get a cost for TiN (Titanium Nitride) Plating them??
    Well if you REALLY want to get fancy, consider a TiCN or TiAlN coating. The lights would have a finish which is like a Blue/Gray or Violet/Gray color. That would be a flashlight/torch first !!!

    Here's a link to several coating types/colors to give you an idea.
    http://www.harveytool.com/technical/coatings.php



    BTW, I use TiAlN drill bits to drill stainless steel. They hold an edge better by reducing the friction and subsequent heat.

    Your machinist may even use TiAlN coated tooling for the Ti machine work.

    These guys do tool coatings internationally http://www.balzers.com/

    Also, check out this picture of a SOG Rainbon Titanium Nitride coating:


  5. #35
    Flashaholic kiely23+'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    475

    Wink2 Re: Orbs will be back

    I am in for a Raw Da (Damascus)
    "haben ist besser als brauchen"

  6. #36
    Flashaholic Dogliness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    I would be in for an Orb Ti.

  7. #37
    Flashaholic revv11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    186

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    I am interested in the RAW Da.

  8. #38
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    guys but this thread has wandered off its original topic.
    Please see here for Orb Ti interest : http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120892
    Please see here for Raw Da sign up list:http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...68#post1446868

    Please continue to use this thread for the Original Alu Orb sign up.
    The list is at the bottom of my 1st post & will be updated as we move on.
    Last edited by orb; 06-07-2006 at 07:20 AM.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  9. #39

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Rob,


    Since you now have some U bins, are you going to be making some more U bin Orb Raws? I am definetly interested if you do.

  10. #40
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    You could purchase a U bin from Photonfanatic & send it to me.
    We will then knock of £3 & instal it for you.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  11. #41
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblahblah
    Well if you REALLY want to get fancy, consider a TiCN or TiAlN coating. The lights would have a finish which is like a Blue/Gray or Violet/Gray color. That would be a flashlight/torch first !!!

    Here's a link to several coating types/colors to give you an idea.
    http://www.harveytool.com/technical/coatings.php



    BTW, I use TiAlN drill bits to drill stainless steel. They hold an edge better by reducing the friction and subsequent heat.

    Your machinist may even use TiAlN coated tooling for the Ti machine work.

    These guys do tool coatings internationally http://www.balzers.com/

    Also, check out this picture of a SOG Rainbon Titanium Nitride coating:


    for the info Blahblahblah, I sent samples of to Balzers today for:
    TiN
    TiCN
    TiAlN
    I hope they come back tougher!! & with nice Colours.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  12. #42
    Flashaholic ak645's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.Fla
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    How about a pic with the tritium vial installed?Thanks!

    Andy

  13. #43
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by ak645
    How about a pic with the tritium vial installed?Thanks!

    Andy
    Last time we sold the Orb the vial was installed on the Reflector.
    Nice & protected & did not show up in the beam.
    However the Plan is to mill slots into the body like the Raw & Ns.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  14. #44
    Flashaholic* blahblahblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    496

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by orb
    for the info Blahblahblah, I sent samples of to Balzers today for:
    TiN
    TiCN
    TiAlN
    I hope they come back tougher!! & with nice Colours.
    Of course you have to put me on any and all lists if you do a TiCN or TiAlN version (I'll take both if you do both). U Bin and 10 Trits as well.

  15. #45
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Near Paris
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Hello, I'll take an Orb with UWOJ and green vials.

  16. #46
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    ok, I'm in for one. UW0J (duh!!!!) and tritium.

    I would definitely like to put in a good word for anodizing or coating of some sort. Even something that's clear. I do like the way bare Al looks, but these lights just scream pocket / keychain, and bare Al is a bit too soft on its own, especially with how nice your work is, Rob. I normally could care less about scratching things up, am not a 'shelf queener' at all, but these lights are just so well designed that I cringe every time a new ding shows up.

  17. #47
    Flashaholic* tattoou2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Near Lake Ontario, NY
    Posts
    218

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    I'm in for 1-Original Alu Orb (UWOJ) w/3 Blue Trits.
    Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

  18. #48
    Flashaholic ak645's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.Fla
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Any word yet on finishes? Personally I'd like a clear anodize or maybe electroless nickel.

    Andy

  19. #49
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by ak645
    Any word yet on finishes? Personally I'd like a clear anodize or maybe electroless nickel.

    Andy
    I got a sample Orb back Yesterday with a Balitin C coating. I'll post a photo later.
    Disappointed is the Word. It does appear that with the base metal being soft Aluminium. No body seems to be able to apply A really hard coating like TiN.
    So its back on the search to find a protective finish for these Alu Orbs.
    I am really trying to stay away from anodizing as we have had nightmares in the past.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  20. #50
    Flashaholic ak645's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.Fla
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Yeah I had read that the TIxx coatings would not work too well with aluminium.The electroless nickel plating should work.It's very tough and has a nice low luster sheen to it.Don't know how much it costs though.That would be my choice if not too spendy.

    Or you could consider a baked on powder coat.Not as tough as the hard anodizing but still pretty good.Fairly easy to do custom colors and in-expensive.

    Andy

    Quote Originally Posted by orb
    I got a sample Orb back Yesterday with a Balitin C coating. I'll post a photo later.
    Disappointed is the Word. It does appear that with the base metal being soft Aluminium. No body seems to be able to apply A really hard coating like TiN.
    So its back on the search to find a protective finish for these Alu Orbs.
    I am really trying to stay away from anodizing as we have had nightmares in the past.

  21. #51
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    BRAZIL
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Hello Rob

    Could you tell me about the switch ? it will be the same as the old one ?

    ( I own one from CPF run... Is that made of SS or Al ? )

    Also I would like to know how much it will cost if I want one with Trit ?
    are they going to be Custom made for each person ? let's say 4 on it. Cost ?

    Thanks,
    M.TEX
    M.TEX

  22. #52
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Count me in-- U-bin w/ blue tritium (10 if option is available)
    Last edited by dksd39; 07-20-2006 at 02:54 AM.

  23. #53

    Thumbs up Re: Orbs will be back

    Interested in 2 original Orbs, U-bin, 2 Trits.

    Thanks!

  24. #54
    Flashaholic ak645's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.Fla
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Hi Rob,

    Please delete the blue tritium from my New Orb.I'm going smoooothie!

    Any progress to report?

    Andy

  25. #55
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by M.TEX
    Hello Rob

    Could you tell me about the switch ? it will be the same as the old one ?

    ( I own one from CPF run... Is that made of SS or Al ? )

    Also I would like to know how much it will cost if I want one with Trit ?
    are they going to be Custom made for each person ? let's say 4 on it. Cost ?

    Thanks,
    M.TEX
    If these do happen??? The Switch may be modified??
    The CPF Orbs are all bare Alu.
    Cost is aimed at £49.95 Trits will be £6 each.

    Ak645, The list is updated. No Real progress to report.
    Priorities lay with the Raw Series currently.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  26. #56

    Thumbs up Re: Orbs will be back

    Rob,

    Maybe, if you append the title of this thread with something like "(Interest List)." There might be more responses. I'm really hoping to see it happen.

    Thanks

  27. #57
    Flashaholic ak645's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.Fla
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    So is this dead or alive?

  28. #58
    Flashaholic* moeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  29. #59
    Flashaholic* orb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,579

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Quote Originally Posted by ak645
    So is this dead or alive?
    Not sure the next few weeks & any interest will decide it.
    With out any question, if they go ahead they will be with the XR-E.
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

  30. #60
    Flashaholic* London Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Suffolk U.K.
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: Orbs will be back

    Please add me to the list


Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •