Tailcap w built in strobe circuit?

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Oh, it was "Constructed by Full Metal Material." I think that means robots made it.

Looks interesting ; I wonder if the guts could be transplanted into a Surefire tailcap. The price is good. Somebody should try it. :)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i ordered one,

Hopefully the guts will transplant easily to the E-series Tailcaps.
:D

Benny

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
MorpheusT1 Let us know how you like it. That would make any LED light a nice defensive tool.:)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will post in this thread as soon as it arrives.
Only downside is that i dont have any flashlight bodies that will fit the tailcap.

So i am hoping for a easy transplant.

:D

And shipping to Norway takes a while so be patient guys and Gals.
Benny

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I just bought one as well. For $14 shipped I had to try it. I'll post when it arrives.

p.s. I am in NYC so we will see how the shipping compares to Norway

cfb

Last edited:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
It seems like strobing would be pretty hard on an incandescent bulb. Try it with an LED head, if you are able! (It's not guaranteed that it would work, because of the difference in the passing of an electric current in the "OFF" state <EDIT: I mean the "OFF" between pulses>, if such a trickly current is required by the circuit (maybe, and maybe not.))

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read that they wont work on LED lights for some reason. SHould be perfect for starting the 9v and 12v bulbs using protected R123's though.

I doubt you'll get these parts to fit a Surefire 6P tailcap, and I'm almost positive they wont fit an E2e tailcap.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Hi all,

My strobe tailcap just arrived this afternoon. Here are some quick details.

First it actually works. I tried it on one of my L5s and it works as advertised. I'd guess it strobes the light somewhere around 5-10 pulses a second, and the effect is fast and disorienting. The switch is a clickie and you click for constant on, and hold for strobe. Build quality seems fine, particularly for the low price, though there is a piece of heat shrink tubing on the somewhat long battery spring. Maybe they had some trouble with the spring getting scrunched up and and bridging the contacts or something. Otherwise it looks a lot like a black Surefire tailcap and has a smooth and even finish. Lastly when the light is on in either strobe or constant on mode the tailcap emits a very slight chirping sound. Not at all bothersome, and actually a lot quieter than the buzz my HDS B60 makes on high.

The biggest downside to this thing is that in constant on mode it does not bypass completely and makes the beam flicker ever so slightly. I also wish it came in HA natural instead of black, but I guess you can't have everything. Overall for $14 it's certainly worth trying if you want to add a strobe mode to your light.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

cfb

Last edited:

dyyys1

Enlightened
The question still remains: won't a strobe function be bad for an incandescent bulb (instaflash)? Also, would the strobe tail work in an A2 with its two functions?

Last edited:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I don't think it's really intended for an incandescent light, but in the interest of science I just tried it on my C2. No instaflash, but obviously not as good a strobe effect as an LED simply because the filament does not have enough time to cool between pulses. It works though. Be interesting to see what it does to bulb life, though I don't intend to test that myself!

<edit> It's also a little dimmer on the C2 since the bulb does not have time to come up to full power.

cfb

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may need to get one of these... try it out on the M2. I too wish it were in HA

Last edited:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Thanks for the report, Lotsa. I just now ordered one. why not! Is it really a genuine G&P product? I mean, the same G&P that we're all thinking of? :thinking: The interface sounds like it might work out well for firing up protected cells as chevrofreak has mentioned. However, if there is a noticeable pulsing in constant on mode with an LED head, that may suggest that ON is not very ON between pulses (i.e., some resistance) and may eat even more power when used with the higher-current incan--might even get warm... Anyway, hey, $14!

Edit: dyyys1: Despite the use of the word "Xenon" all over the advertisement, I do think that strobing an incan is not very kind to the incan. Also not letting it warm up all the way can't be good. It's the opposite of all the reasoning behind the A2.

Edit: Edit: dyyys1: dyyys1: speaking of the A2, it definitely wouldn't fit the A2.

Last edited:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Well speaking of HA NAT I just found out that you can easily screw out the "guts" of this switch from the housing using the ends of some needlenose pliers. Now the interesting thing is that I dissasembled an extra Surefire switch, and the threads match so that the module can screw right into a surefire tailcap. The problem I hit was that inside the surefire cap, after you get the plunger & spring out, there is a plastic ring which holds the rubber button in place and make it watertight. This ring looks like it should screw out, but it sure doesn't, and it needs to come out for the module to fit against the rubber button. I think if this ring were removed, you might be able to screw the strobe module right into the housing, and after trimming the spring a tiny bit it might fit. Anyone know how to completely dissasemble a stock surefire incandescent switch all the way to the rubber button??

cfb

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Galiphrey said:
Thanks for the report, Lotsa. I just now ordered one. why not! Is it really a genuine G&P product? I mean, the same G&P that we're all thinking of?.

Yup it appears to be genuine G&P. it has "G&P Accessories" and "www.gp-web.com" etched in the end of the cap.

cfb

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved mine today,

It works on both my SF L1 and E2E..
The strobe seemed wird on the incan bulb,and i cannot understand how this is going to work without damaging the bulb.

Allthough the Tailcap did not actually fit on those light i was able to make it work by holding the tailcap against the E2E/L1 tube to confirm that it actually works.

So all i need now is a 6P or similar to make a light out of this talcap,lol.

Benny

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted you guys to know that G & P also has a new Flashlight.
It also features the new Strobe tailcap.

I rdered one just for the fun of it.

Ebay link:

Benny