ArmyTek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

Hybrid View

Icon15 ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

I'm still reeling with shock as I type this, bandages in place. They say there's a first time for everything, and my first lithium battery explosion happened moments ago to a flashlight in my hand while operating. It was a new (to me) Pelican M6 with incan lamp assembly, just arrived as a purchase from BST. It came with batteries already installed, CR123 primaries, am almost certain were Battery Station brand. The light was operating continuously for about 20 minutes, and I picked it up to move to another part of my darkroom. I noticed the body of the light was warm, not hot to the touch. As I picked it up it I heard a hissing sound, looked down and saw a gray haze spewing out around the rubber tailcap button, this was follwed by a shockingly loud *BANG* like a large firework. Startled, I dropped the light to the ground. I wasnt wearing any socks or shoes, and seconds later there was a second explosion, the second battery letting go, that blew out the front lens and sent shards of glass into the heel of my foot, which bled profusely. I saw the second explosion produce a small jet of flame six inches out of the tailcap, shredding the rubber button. I kicked the light away by reflex, but the drama was over. The incan bulb is still intact, but the tailcap is shredded. Lens is history. My foot was bleeding quite badly, but stopped when pressure was applied. No charring of the exterior. I'm still shellshocked by the event. What is it about the Pelican M6? I love this light, have four of them. The rest are LED, never had any problems. I know of 2 other M6es, the most notorious is in the sticky thread in this section., that have met similar fates. Not at all trying to badmouth Pelican or Batt Station or scare anyone, but this caught me totally off guard.

Just thought I'd add this to the list of traumas. And a word to those fearing the vent with flame phenomenon: it is NO picnic. I NEVER expected this to happen with a STOCK lamp assembly and primaries! "Vent with flame": true to the words! There was a tremendous amount of pressure exiting the light, it was MUCH more velocity to the gas than you would see with a tea kettle on full boil for instance. I was really scared at the violent nature of the demise of the batteries. I still dont understand what went wrong. The light came shipped with those batteries and I presume the seller had included a matched pair of new ones, as he is a skilled modder and knows whats what.

Ironically I use a lot of rechargeable LiIons, sometimes unprotected cells with no bad incidents except a few dead cells from over-discharge. I always feared the vent with flame thing when I knew I was driving cells really hard but it never happened to me. Until now, with primary cells. I NEVER expected this to happen. Worst part is there was almost no warning, the hissing sound, the gray haze venting happened only seconds before the firecracker explosion. Thankfully no other injuries except the glass in my foot, which is not insignificant. This thing was LOUD! REALLY REALLY LOUD!!! The hissing/venting continued for about 10 seconds before the first explosion, I totally froze and stared at it, not able to process what was happening.

I'm still afraid to pick up the light. Its across the room from where I'm typing. I'm ninety nine percent sure its all spent, no further pyrotechnics to look forward to. I hope. There is a terrible smell along with it. Quite distinct, unlike anything I've known.

*EDIT*
    Just summoned some courage and dismantled the light. The batteries are stuck in the tube, but it came apart easily enough. Snapped some pics with the point and shoot, I'll post them here....

Got the batteries out, they indeed are Battery Station CR123. BTW, Jon: I hold you at no fault whatsoever, please dont feel bad about this.

Blood all over the place. All from the glass shooting into my foot. Tremendous energy behind that explosion. I am totally without words to explain how grateful I am injuries are limited to what they are.

I want to give a nod of thanks to Newbie and SilverFox and all those who contribute to the lithium ion battery safety threads. Maybe some of you can help me figure out what the cause of this may have been. Time for the budding forensics folks out there to contribute their hypotheses.

Some pics:

the batteries are totally WET, covered in charred paste

batteries still inside the tube, head end, head removed (trembling)

bottom of stock screw in incan lamp assembly, part that mates with top battery (+) terminal

Last edited by Lunarmodule; 06-08-2006 at 06:18 PM.
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

Default Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

Wow, I don't know what to say... good thing you're okay.

Default Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

prob a good idea to replace batteries in a light you get from B/S/T, even if the seller says they are new....

At least, after reading that I sure will now....

Glad you're okay.

dragoman
    EDC - varies

Lights - all sold except for my P1, D2 w/ Cree drop in, Cabelas 12V Turbohead and assorted generic lights

Ouch! Glad you're ok.

On the bright side: At least it wasn't a headlamp. *Yikes*

Hope your alright there Steve, that could have easily been an eyeball...

I read this right after confidently loading 6 X 17500's in a new flashlight, not so confident anymore

I think I'll be staying away from batterstation batteries.

Bummer about your foot (and your light), but at least it wasn't your eyes or your vas deferens.

Lunarmodule,
    hope you are ok and recovering, i must say that is the most dramatic and most dangerous example of a 123 exploding
    but what i dont understand is, this is a light that was not being overdriven, it was running within specification, it was not taxing the batteries,
    and yet the batteries exploded.
    is it purely the batteries or a combination of the specific bulb in the PM6 and the batteries
    again, hope you are ok and have a speedy recovery
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr-t (TWOK) + DB700 + E2E
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!

Icon15 Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

Quote Originally Posted by roguesw
    Lunarmodule,
    hope you are ok and recovering, i must say that is the most dramatic and most dangerous example of a 123 exploding
    but what i dont understand is, this is a light that was not being overdriven, it was running within specification, it was not taxing the batteries,
    and yet the batteries exploded.
    is it purely the batteries or a combination of the specific bulb in the PM6 and the batteries
    again, hope you are ok and have a speedy recovery
    Exactly my sentiments, dragoman, about the mystery of the stock setup. BTW, sincere thanks to all of you that express concern for my *OUCH*, first aid got it under control. I'll spare the gore of the foot pictures, suffice to say glass shards at velocity do wicked damage when they encounter soft targets. I cant fathom how the bulb stayed perfectly intact while the lens shattered as violently as it did. Theres some funky physics at work, never my strong suit. I think it must have been the lamp assembly was shielded from any direct pressure or flame (blast effects) because of the seal maintained by the module threading into the head end of the tube. When the explosion happened, the flame jet and blast noise (LOUD!!!! there was perceivable overpressure), rather the shock wave of the blast noise is what must have taken out the front glass.

The mystery is layers deep due to the stock lamp, no overdrive or other hijinks, nothing out of the ordinary at all. I've had a few close calls, the scariest of all was using canned compressed air to blow dust off a hotwire incan lamp's reflector right after turning the light off. This was a total bonehead move, and I accept responsibility for causing that accident. It was late at night, not thinking too clearly, just.... gotta clean that reflector. I unscrewed the bezel, removed it, aimed the little red straw at the reflector and *BLAMMO* the WA1185 blew apart into a zillion grains of glass and spread all over the room! Much worse, I wasnt wearing my glasses and was looking right at the darn thing (arms length). I got glass all over my face, but thank Heaven none anywhere near the eyes! The thermal stress from the supercold air meeting the hot glass bulb was too much. But in this situation with the PM6 there was no shenanignans, thats what makes it so terrifying!

heres a pic of the head of the light removed and the incan lamp assembly that threads into the top of the battery tube:

Last edited by Lunarmodule; 06-07-2006 at 07:15 AM.
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

That is pretty wild. Glad you are ok.
    Surefire A2. Surefire G2 Cree. Surefire E1E. Surefire 8NX. Inova X1. Inova X5. PT Yukon. PT Quad. River Rock Lantern. Fenix P1. Mag 2D LED. Mag 4D LED. Mag 3AA LED.

Obviously, the safety on these batteries didn't trip.

As for the lamp being driven hard, it is being driven hard, that's why the PM6 is a CPF favorite, the light is white!

PM inbound Lunarmodule.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic*

In America the land of lawsuits. I understand how we wouldn't sue because it's part of the hobby, but how come I don't hear of lawsuits from everyday folk handling CR123? Maybe we need some to make the safety features actually work on these batteries.

Hello Steve

I'm so sorry to hear what happens.

I'll hope you will be soon better.

Very best regards

_____
    Tom

Whow, what a horrific accident. I'm very glad you got out of this without any major injuries. That might easily have been much, much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunarmodule
    I want to give a nod of thanks to Newbie and SilverFox and all those who contribute to the lithium ion battery safety threads. Maybe some of you can help me figure out what the cause of this may have been. Time for the budding forensics folks out there to contribute their hypotheses.
    I'd love to see a thorough analysis of this accident as well. However, this isn't the first accident of this kind since I started reading CPF, and I'm sure it won't be the last one. I think it would be a great idea to have a sticky in this forum outlining the current knowledge on lithium ion battery safety, in simple, non-technical language. The do's and don'ts of using lithium ino batteries *and* rechargeables. Much of the valuable information is spread over many different threads at the moment and can be pretty hard to find.

I'd love the battery experts like Newbie, Silverfox and all the others get together and write such a post. In the light of accidents like this such a post would be invaluable for people who're not experts in this field, and if only *one* accident could be prevented it would have saved its purpose.

Hans

man this thread is the scareist thing ive read in a while.i realy had no idea lituims could do that .wierd how ya learn something like that
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Wow!

First off, let me say I hope there's no lasting injuries and I'm sure your foot will feel better when it quits hurting...

Secondly, I must say I am impressed that the BatteryStation people are standing firmly behind the batteries, offering to replace everything to make it right. This is very impressive, especially as we can't say with 100% certainty that they batteries were new / at fault. ('Probably' doesn't cut it with some vendors!)

I know I use Battery Station Lithium 123s with confidence, although I don't think I'll encourage any of my students to use incadescent lithium lights for long-term lighting!

Lunarmodules comment was worth its weight in GOLD, folks!

The main point I want to get out to anyone who reads this is to know the warning signs: very, very, very short notice. The pressure release was extremely sudden and violent. I did have ten seconds or so that I could have used to throw the light away, behind a piece of furniture or into a box to contain the damage / shield myself. What I can recommend is if anyone feels their light vibrate, smells a pungent chemical odor, and/or sees or hears a rushing sound of gas like steam from a tea kettle come from the light, THROW IT AWAY FROM YOU AND ANYONE ELSE NEARBY. Treat it exactly like a firework (like a big bottle rocket) with the wick lit. Dont try to switch it off, although it may help, it may not.
    That, folks, is worth a sticky at the top of the forum!

John

Flashaholic*

Default Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

Holy $hit-I did'nt even know that could happen! Violent....
    Your Dog relies on you-don't let him down.
    Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

Flashaholic*

Mpr Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

Oh crap, I've got over 50 of those batteries here!

chiphead

Glad your ok LunerModule.

I had the same thing happen to my pm6 (minus the blood) but with new surefire batteries, and after repeated unanswered emails to pelican I said the hell with them and I'll never purchase anything made by pelican again.

Quote Originally Posted by Presidio
    Glad your ok LunerModule.

I had the same thing happen to my pm6 (minus the blood) but with new surefire batteries, and after repeated unanswered emails to pelican I said the hell with them and I'll never purchase anything made by pelican again.
    So maybe this is just a Pelican problem? If I remember correctly the last post where this happened (inside a wooden cabinet) involved a pelican light. hmmm...
    And the fact that they are not even answering your emails make me even more paranoid about them. They could at least shoot of a quick "@!$# you! Our lights are fine the problem is elsewhere! Now leave us ALONE!"

Do you have the time to describe in more detail? Or was it essentially the same as LM? I would summarise LM's experience as:

(1) Unsure of the state of batteries (presumed to be matching, but not tested)
    (2) Placed in an OLD STYLE PM6 (focussing head, no lamp assembly)
    (3) Not held in the hand - i.e. left on a surface while running

How similar was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Thanks for info on LM, Kevin. I guess he hasn't posted here for a while because he's gone off the whole flashlight thing! Temporarily, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorIdiot
    Do you have the time to describe in more detail? Or was it essentially the same as LM? I would summarise LM's experience as:

(1) Unsure of the state of batteries (presumed to be matching, but not tested)
    (2) Placed in an OLD STYLE PM6 (focussing head, no lamp assembly)
    (3) Not held in the hand - i.e. left on a surface while running

How similar was your experience?

Thanks in advance.
    This was the older style m6, and was a brand new box of 12 surefire batteries that I had for about 14 months. I was on vacation and had left the light in my boat on the trailer at a hotel it was parked right outside the room and while we were going in the room I heard a loud bang after a WTF was that, I searched through the boat and found the light, still hot, lens in pieces, crud all in the top and bottom of the tube and could not remove the batteries, luckily it was in a small toolbox so no damage to anything or anyone but the light.

This all happened about two years ago.
    Last edited by Presidio; 06-16-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Flashaholic*

This was the older style m6, and was a brand new box of 12 surefire batteries that I had for about 14 months. I was on vacation and had left the light in my boat on the trailer at a hotel it was parked right outside the room and while we were going in the room I heard a loud bang after a WTF was that, I searched through the boat and found the light, still hot, lens in pieces, crud all in the top and bottom of the tube and could not remove the batteries, luckily it was in a small toolbox so no damage to anything or anyone but the light.

Looks like that is 3 X M6 2 of them with SF batts...

Thank you.

If I may quote Columbo (I don't have the dirty mac and I can't do the eyes, unfortunately), "Just one more thing...":

To your knowledge, was the light turned on when you left it? If not, had it been on just before you left it, and if so, had it been in your hand, and for how long had it been turned on?

I'm not expecting you can be sure about something that happened so long ago, but the information, if you can remember it, could be very useful in helping people spot patterns.

Thanks in advance.

O H M Y G O D....
    I've got about 15 of the Battery Station 123's sitting in a drawer right now. The reason this freaks me out is this : About a month ago I had these batteries in a sealed plastic container. I opened the container to take out a couple and there was a V E R Y strong metallic/acidic smell coming from the batteries! I left the top of after that and the smell is still there but much fainter. I'm VERY tempted to throw these batteries in the garbage after reading that. What if both of those batteries had exploded at once while that light was still in his hand ?!

Quote Originally Posted by bullinchinashop
    O H M Y G O D....
    I've got about 15 of the Battery Station 123's sitting in a drawer right now. The reason this freaks me out is this : About a month ago I had these batteries in a sealed plastic container. I opened the container to take out a couple and there was a V E R Y strong metallic/acidic smell coming from the batteries! I left the top of after that and the smell is still there but much fainter. I'm VERY tempted to throw these batteries in the garbage after reading that. What if both of those batteries had exploded at once while that light was still in his hand ?!
    This is normal with all lithiums and the smell has been describe jokingly on these forums as flashohol or something similar....

I'm still reeling with shock as I type this, bandages in place. They say there's a first time for everything, and my first lithium battery explosion happened moments ago to a flashlight in my hand while operating.
    From this thread:
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...5&page=2&pp=40

Quote Originally Posted by NewBie
    IMHO, there are quite a few rather ignorant folks who like to pretend to be experts. If you really don't know what you are talking about, you shouldn't say something is safe when it truely is not. I'm not an expert either, but I do have the skills to read...

Duracell 123A nasties:
    Thermal degradation may produce hazardous fumes
    of manganese and lithium;
    hydrofluoric acid;
    oxides of carbon and sulfur
    and other toxic by-products.

Notes to Physician
    1) Potential leakage of dimethoxyethane, propylene carbonate and lithium trifluoromethane sulfonate.
    http://www.duracell.com/oem/safety/pdf/2003_9.pdf

(Hydrofluoric Acid is definitely not something one should even think about messing around with.)

(Alot of these byproducts are just as nasty as what comes out of a Li-Ion rechargable cell.)

Energizer's take on things:
    Under normal conditions of use, the battery is hermetically sealed.

Ingestion: Swallowing a battery can be harmful.
    Contents of an open battery can cause serious chemical burns of mouth, esophagus, and gastrointestinal tract.
    If battery or open battery is ingested, do not induce vomiting or give food or drink. Seek medical attention immediately.
    CALL NATIONAL BATTERY INGESTION HOTLINE for advice and follow-up (202-625-3333) collect, day or night.

Inhalation: Contents of an open battery can cause respiratory irritation. Provide fresh air and seek medical attention.

Skin Absorption: Dimethoxyethane, dioxolane, and lithium trifluoromethanesulfonate may be absorbed through the skin, causing
    localized inflammation.

Skin Contact: Contents of an open battery can cause skin irritation and/or chemical burns. Remove contaminated clothing and
    wash skin with soap and water. If a chemical burn occurs or if irritation persists, seek medical attention.

Eye Contact: Contents of an open battery can cause severe irritation and chemical burns. Immediately flush eyes thoroughly with
    water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower lids, until no evidence of the chemical remains. Seek medical attention.

Note: Carbon black is listed as a possible carcinogen by International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithi...oxide_psds.pdf

Please don't pretend to be an expert when you are not, and pass supposedly "informed" opinions.

(P.S.- I'm not an expert on batteries either, but I can read...)

Good guess. In the exploding Pelican M6 thread, the prime suspect for the detonating cell(s) were indeed Surefire 123s, with the distinctive red wrapper. Another CPF thread reported rupturing primary Cr123s in a Surefire M6 while stored in a vehicle in extreme cold. Brand? Surefire. In each thread were several mentions of other Surefire batteries involved in little disasters. Kind puts a new twist on the company's play on words name. Surefire: you can be sure of one thing, this babys gonna FIRE* (*=we didnt say one kind or another)

Its kind of irritating to hear reports of folks regarding their lithium batteries as "little bombs" and nonsense like that. Automobiles are killing machines like no other, with incomprehesibly terrible murderous potential cleverly concealed with mile after trouble free mile of normal driving. If everybody contemplated nothing BUT how head on collisions are supposed to be like at 75mph, how many folks could still keep their wits about them in a parking lot at those parking lot speeds? Simple: folks would scare themselves into NOT driving? Why risk it? Life's too precious. It certainly is. To waste time cowering in fear over flashlight batteries, it is indeed. Now, for the schmoe with his 15 Amp Magmod 3D with magnets between his CPB1650 cells, be afraid, be very afraid. Your express ticket to Short CIrcuit CIty is waiting for you, sir. But especially single cell applications, 123s of ANY manufacture. I worry much more about being spontaneously mawled by escaped Persian Tigers from the local zoo.

I distinctly remember someone wisecracking about my portable hand grenade, referring to my home grown rechargeable LiIon battery pack I made for my Surefire M6. I used unprotected cells in a pack configuration, and it was likened by one to be akin to said grenade. Be sure to update your progress if you still have both hands in a few weeks..... I shake my head and remember that one.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBie
    You know, it is *quite* ignorant for folks to be discounting the dangers of Lithium cells...in the extreme.

We see examples quite often, of them causing things to project, that could easily put out a child's eye, or get hot and disfigure/leave scares. That Lithium 123 cell M6 flashlight tailcap launched so hard, that it nearly went through a solid oak cabinet door!

The thread is found here, make sure to follow the thread to the end, you will see additional pictures later in the thread:
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78843

Here is another example of these Primary Lithium 123 cells (Battery Station) misbehaving, luckily this one didn't fail so badly:
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91245

And it is not always when you abuse the cells, occassionally they just blow up.

We are constantly getting new members, and it is important for them to understand the dangers and risks.

It is really stupid to the extreme, to think there are no dangers. We have seen multiple examples of 123 cells causing dangerous failures right here on cpf, and we are a very small cross-section of only ~20,000 users.

Once one is aware of the dangers of Lithium batteries, and how to treat them properly, not to mix brands, or *NOT* putting in a fresh 123 for one of the two that was dead- to save money, *NOT* running them down until the filament doesn't glow at all, *NOT* letting them bake in the sun in a flat black finish flashlight on a dashboard, *NOT* trying to recharge them, *NOT* trying to recharge them, *NOT* using cells that have a dent, and many other situations, then a person can make a *WISE* informed choice, and also be aware of the dangers and how to treat Lithium cells accordingly.

I am very surprised that the majority flashlight manufacturers have not added circuitry to shut down a 123 cell flashlight when the cells drop below a given voltage. This would help eliminate one of the possible failure modes that can lead to venting, venting with flame, expulsion of internals, projectile launching of internals, or explosion. A safety venting mechanism in sealed flashlights might also be very useful in these situations, allowing a Lithium 123 cell flashlight to contain some of the failure modes, resulting in less danger/risk to the end user.

To give you just one example of the many safety bulletin/recalls dealing with 123 cells:

Name of product: Fuji Power and A&T Fuji Power

CR123A 3-volt lithium batteries originally provided with Galls® H.A.L.O. Tactical Flashlight.
    Hazard: The batteries originally provided with the flashlight may overheat or explode presenting a potential for fire or personal injury.

Incidents/Injuries: Five reports of batteries overheating or exploding have been received, causing minor injuries such as burns and minor
    property damage from fire.
    http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=in...ety&D=1&P=9889

And there are *PLENTY* of these type of safety/recall notices out there.

Just knowing that 123 Primary Lithium cells are in fact a risk, and understanding how to treat them properly to minimize that risk is very important.

Remember folks, lithium cells really can be truely dangerous, and they really need to be treated with respect.

This guy nearly lost his eye from his SureFire 9P exploding:
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=132932
    Last edited by NewBie; 06-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Flashaholic*

Thanks NewBie

Flashaholic

Its kind of irritating to hear reports of folks regarding their lithium batteries as "little bombs" and nonsense like that. Automobiles are killing machines like no other, with incomprehesibly terrible murderous potential cleverly concealed with mile after trouble free mile of normal driving. If everybody contemplated nothing BUT how head on collisions are supposed to be like at 75mph, how many folks could still keep their wits about them in a parking lot at those parking lot speeds?
    This comparison is flawed because in a modern world, you can't (practically) get around in many places without some sort of motorized transportation. The difference is that one can operate a flashlight, and many other electronic devices, with batteries that are less dangerous to use than lithium ions.

With all the non-battery saavy people in the world, would you give your wife and kids alkalines, or li-ions to use in their devices? When even experienced, battery conscious users can become injured by li-ions, would you trust people who's collective idea of properly maintaining and handling batteries involves keeping loose spares in a drawer, and nonchalantly tossing flat-drained cells into the garbage?
    Last edited by amanichen; 06-17-2006 at 09:57 AM.

We need to keep this thread focused so that it remains useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast