Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, firsthand account)

Default Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

Like all else, hope you recover soon from the cuts and trauma and thanks for sharing your experience lunarmodule.
    I'm sticking to single cells until some of the experts can figure this out.

Flashaholic*

Ooo Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

Follow up:

After a day of testing thousands CR123A batteries here with the ZTS tester, I found one that was 80% on the tester. In a single cell light, this would have no effect at all. In a multi cell light, it could depending on the load current because it would in fact go dead first in series. Whether it got hot or not, it still might vent hyrdrogen gas. The hydrogen as is the real culprit here if it sparks. I doubt that it is the fault of the light, but rather one cell was a bit lower than the other as they discharged.

Mixing batteries by state of charge or brand could create a similar condition too. I would like to think that something like this could be prevented with one more step in quality control even if it means testing every battery. I know that sounds crazy but if that battery were on of the 80% or less, this problem may have been prevented. This being the case, I feel even worse.

I have been working with Silverfox to get a ZTS tester passaround going. We will ship the tester Friday or Monday. I have also made arrangements to put them on our CPF page at a very hefty discount. I should have them on there Friday. So many of us have been hurt by things or had personal tragedy in our lives, the last thing we want is to get hurt by our tool or hobby or something we enjoy doing.

Products are disposable, people are not. I want to know that I have done everything possible to prevent anyone from getting hurt by anything we sell.
    I would like to think that we care more than other companies, but there are a lot of good companies out there. Rest assured, we will continue to do our best and take it a step further from now on.

I have spoken to Pelican and they are aware and have offered to replace the light with a Pelican light of your choice. They have made contact and would like to have that light back for evaluation too. Check PM for more.

I have been in contact with our chemist also that did the load current upgrade two years ago to see what more can be done on QC at the assembly line end of things. I have a feeling we are just hunting for that one or two renegade cells out of thousands because overall our quality is right up there with the big brand names. We have sold several million of these since inception, so this is a needle in a haystack.

Still if that is the case, we will have to find them.
    Bottom line.
    Last edited by batterystation; 06-08-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    USA Made CR123A $1.25, Surefire Lights, HDS Twisty Lights, Pelican, Streamlight, Tek-Tite + MORE http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm
    Kevin

Default Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

Batteriestation

Best regards

____
    Tom

The old non-clickie Pelican switch could very easily cause sparks.

LM, just want to add my concern for your health and gratitude that it wasn't any more serious. I applaud your reaction regarding lawsuits and I respect the way Battery Station is an active participant in this thread.

I will be in the market for a battery tester. I will read here with interest what the experts think is the best way to manage this risk in the future.
    ~Greg

"Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
    -Unknown

Flashaholic*

After a day of testing thousands CR123A batteries here with the ZTS tester, I found one that was 80% on the tester. In a single cell light, this would have no effect at all. In a multi cell light, it could depending on the load current because it would in fact go dead first in series.
    Why would the one reading 80% go dead first? Are you assuming that the "80%" reading is an accurate indication of the power content of the cell? There seems to be no experimental basis for that belief.

Flashaholic*

This battery I found at 80% on the ZTS tester has been put in series with a hot 100% one and will be discharged in a Pelican M6 incan Saturday in the alley here. The 80% I noted is still speculation, but if it had been say 20% or a dead battery, it could have been a problem. We are still learning, but it does appear that the load testing method does allow the more accurate matching of cells and thus reduction of failures such as this. A pair of 50% batteries in theory would not pose this problem. Or them being used in a single cell light. The bottom line is really that the batteries need to be in as similar state of charge or load current capability as possible. Matched you could say.
    USA Made CR123A $1.25, Surefire Lights, HDS Twisty Lights, Pelican, Streamlight, Tek-Tite + MORE http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm
    Kevin

Sick2 Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

I am very pleased to see the overwhelming supportive and kind words from the CPF community in wishin gme well, as well as the constructive statements aiming to increase the general knowledge base about CR123 use and safety as well as valid hypotheses for the cause of the incident. Also very happy to see there is no trace of angry finger pointing or any statements that instill fear over these batteries. The only thing that makes me feel good about this entire thing is what CPF can stand to benefit from learning about this. I have yet to hear back from Jon about the batteries, and reiterate cheers for Kevin of batterystation in his excellent make-it-right statements.

Unfortunately there is a darker side to this, I am finding out now. It appears I have absorbed some toxic materials through breathing and through the blood from the cuts. I slept most of the day, but awoke to overwhelming nausea and repeated vomiting. Ive got a strange rash covering both arms and most of my legs. I went to the after hours clinic and preliminary bloodwork showed some strange liver enzyme levels, one three times higher than the normal high range. The cuts, about a dozen of them, have all sealed up but are black compared to the reddened tissue surrounding them. Right after the incident, I flushed the cuts repeatedly with peroxide and removed the glass with tweezers. Then a bunch of Neosporin and a bandage. The doctor at the clinic repeated the same standard disinfection regieme, but is curious about the possibility of poisioning, thankfully low level. I went home and felt relieved, until I got home and vomiting started again, much worse than before. I followed SilverFox's advice and moved everything outside. I will find out later today what the other blood sample reveals. I need to find an MSDS type sheet for these cells, what compounds specifically may have entered my system. I feel terrible, like a bad case of the flu without a fever. The doc said there was nothing more to do besides keep changing bandages and disinfecting, watch and wait. I keep looking at my arms, which are completely covered in angry little red bumps, like measles. The doc indicated the liver enzyme results suggest the body is working full tilt to neutralize the toxins. He said as I suspected the rash is an allergic reaction to the foreign materials. Cheers to those CPFers that mentioned the bit about glass powder and residue. Clearly I shrugged off the significance of the acrid smoke too quickly.

I'd have to say I'd like to be at the head of the list for a ZTS tester. Kevin (of batterystation) very generously offered to replace everything, I'd be really happy just to have one of these testers at or near cost, but soon. Also, if anyone has the resources and ability to do some analysis of the components, if it would produce any worthwhile and valid information, I'm more than happy to forward those parts to anyone who wants them. I was going to rebuild the light, but for the time being until I feel normal again I dont want to go within 100 feet of that smell again (yeck!) If Kevin of batterystation wants the parts or someone else please drop me an email and let me know.

A lot of interesting and insightful theories about the possible causes and what we all can learn from the entirety of this happenstance. Originally the glaringly obvious suspicious thing was the batteries had recently been in transit. They travelled all the way from Georgia to Hawaii by air in an unpressurized unheated compartment. However, they had 24 hours to stabilize after landing in Honolulu and going through mail sort to eventually reach delivery at my home. Once I purchased a U-bin Raw that came all the way from an APO in Germany. It included a package of 8 primary CR2 cells for the light. Six of the kelly green jacketed CR2s (NO dot matrix printing at all on the cells) leaked brown gunk all over the package, eating through the plastic they were contained in and thankfully nowhere near the Orb itself. Ever since I ask that folks ship me a light do so with batteries outside the light, for fear the long air transit time does something harmful with pressure equalization of the cells. Nonetheless, I have received quite a few packages with cells installed, no other problems. It did make me very wary of the potential for a leak to happen, as the acidic electrolyte did very thorough damage to the cells packaging.

Another thing to add, or reinforce, was that the light was operating at normal brightness for 20 minutes, and only a split second before the first explosion was there any dimming. It started with a strong vibration of the light body, with the noxious gas jetting out around the tailcap button and a loud hissing sound. The hissing sound IS the warning that something bad is afoot. Terrible, awful pun there. OW. Ten seconds later the first cell exploded, producing a flame jet out the back and I could see pieces of the rubber button flying away from the tailcap. The only problem I have with the cell inversion theories, is if the difference had been so large as to cause reverse charging there should have been siginificant dimming, because you cant run a 6V incan lamp at 3V very brightly at all. If I would have seen significant dimming I would have checked batt voltage immediately. THATS why it was so scary, the light gave every indication of normal use until it let go. It was sitting on a table top unheld for almost 10 minutes while I was moving things around. But I held it for over a minute before the venting started. The light body was very warm to the touch, but not hot and certainly not any cause for alarm. By contrast, I had just received GregW's MOST excellent Exolion Ti light (a perfect ten in every respect) and was using it at the same time. After five minutes of high level and max level operation the light got hot enough to concern me, it was VERY HOT. But I knew this was normal, and expected it to be so. (Cheers to GregW, by the way, on an extraordinary accomplishment in bringing this wonder to CPFers!)

I want to say again how nice it is to see the huge outpouring of get-well sentiments from so many of you out there. I really enjoy CPF and have come to find consistent examples of excellence in character displayed by its members. The response to this is no different, and I am especially glad to know that others can benefit by what can be learned from these events.

Thanks again to everyone!
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

David Campen,

You believe that "there seems to be no experimental basis"? Why do you say this? What do you know about the ZTS tester? Have you ever used one? Have you ever even read about one?

Perhaps, for starters, you might try reading this thread on the Titanium 123's. There is some good stuff in there about the ZTS tester, and how its test results actually correlate to reality. In other words, SilverFox actually tested batteries the ZTS tested, and compared results to actual full discharge curves.

WE HAVE SOME EVIDENCE for what we are saying.

Next, no, the evidence for cell mismatch being the culprit isn't so much posted here. At least not what I was thinking of--it is in the other Peli M6 explosion thread, which has been bumped near to the top again recently.

It is not conclusive, but it is something. You had said we had "no evidence" and I said "yes we do."

Finally, it is entirely possible for one full cell to be driving a PM6 lamp, and reverse charging the other cell, with the lamp still producing decently white light. A side-by-side comparison would show the difference, but you might not notice it otherwise.

Is this what happened? I obviously don't know anywhere near for sure.

Is it possible that the PM6 spring is to blame? After what Milkyspit said, apparently, yes, it is looking like a serious possibility, and I am all for investigating ALL possible theories.

However, as has been noted, TWO events do not a pattern make. It seems premature to cast the blame squarely on the PM6. As dano and others have noted, this sort of thing has happened to other lights besides the PM6.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Jeez LM, I hope these latest complications pass quickly and with no lasting effects. Here is the most comprehensive MSDS I could find in a short search.

Hope you get well soon.
    Got Biodiesel?

Lunarmodule,

My god! I hope you are all right and that these symptoms are only temporary! Try not to get too freaked out. Remember that panick can make these situations seem worse than they are! (At least that's what would happen to me).

Take care and be careful!

As for the lamp and dimming and reverse charging, the thing is that the PM6 lamp is not a 6 volt lamp, despite the fact that CR123's are nominally "3 volt" cells. The thing is that under load, the voltage sags significantly. The PM6 lamp is likely to be a 5.0 volt lamp, or pretty close, when driven hard. But lower the draw rate, and the voltage will go down, so that when the lamp is driven to a moderate level, it may only need 2.5 to 3.0 volts. As Icebreak mentioned, it will run on one cell just fine.

And just as soon as there is reverse charging, the cell vents, and nasty stuff is released.

So it is still possible that that happened here, despite the fact that there was no dramatic and prolonged dimming.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Flashaholic*

That MSDS will suffice as it is exactly the same recipe overseas. You beat me to it. Whether this could have been avoided or not I am not sure, but boy do I feel terrible about it.
    Kevin

Flashaholic*

Yikes, this toxic waste reaction sounds scarier than the explosion. Hope you get better.

Quote Originally Posted by js
    However, as has been noted, TWO events do not a pattern make. It seems premature to cast the blame squarely on the PM6. As dano and others have noted, this sort of thing has happened to other lights besides the PM6.
    This is the third reported event. There was another one about 6 months ago that did not get as much attention as this or the previous one. I've been trying to find it, but the search feature is almost usless..

Lunarmodule, do you have PM's turned off?

I know that I and several others have PM'd you multiple times without responses.

Kevin has already asked you to send the light and cells for examination, it's in his post. Pelican wants to inspect the light.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

chevro, the 3rd with a PM6 or the third total?

I TRIED to recreate this last night while working on USL's by running a cell to about 50% and then adding a new cell, no luck.

I was actually doing it outside a body, to avoid the pressurization issues and forceful expelling of gas or damage to a light.

I could not make it happen, the cell just died.

The next thing I'm going to do is take a half depleted cell and whack the bottom to deform it like the spring might do, then repeat.

I just want the catastrophic cell failure, not the explosion! Fire is fine, GO BOOM isn't!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic*

You believe that "there seems to be no experimental basis"? Why do you say this?
    I say this becuse it is true.

What do you know about the ZTS tester? Have you ever used one? Have you ever even read about one.
    Yes, I have read a lot about them.

Perhaps, for starters, you might try reading this thread on the Titanium 123's. There is some good stuff in there about the ZTS tester, and how its test results actually correlate to reality. In other words, SilverFox actually tested batteries the ZTS tested, and compared results to actual full discharge curves.
    Yes, I had read that thread. It is one of the threads that shows that the ZTS test results are worthless. Here is the specific post from SilverFox that shows that the ZTS values are random:
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...&postcount=148

WE HAVE SOME EVIDENCE for what we are saying.
    Yes, that the ZTS test results are worthless. Thank you for digging up the thread with SilverFox's excellent data showing this.

Flashaholic*

Sigh Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

Quote Originally Posted by Nubo
    I seem to recall that hydrofluoric acid could be one of the decomposition products of a venting lithium battery. Can anyone confirm? Hydrofluoric acid is nasty stuff and can result in delayed injury as the fluorine migrates into the body. If there's any chance you came into contact with it (like on your foot?), I'd seek medical attention and alert them that you may have been exposed to hydrofluoric acid.

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic804.htm
    Confirmed: http://www.duracell.com/oem/safety/pdf/2003_5C.pdf

Steve,

You may want to mention this to your physician, sounds like it could be important.

Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by FlashlightOCD; 06-08-2006 at 12:01 PM.
    It's not really OCD if you call it a hobby.

The 3rd was a PM6 as well. The thread didn't really have a title that would grab your attention, but I found myself reading it anyway for some reason. It happened to another senior member here, I just cannot remember who it was.

Recently there was a thread on GlockTalk about a Ledwave Z5 just going pop for seemingly no reason. http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=537333

I'm wondering if too much pressure on the ends of the cells can either cause an internal short or break something loose? From what I've read the wound core of a lithium cell will ignite when exposed to air (oxygen?). Makes me wonder if somehow air is getting inside the cells and causing a reaction.

Cool Re: ROAR of the Pelican (CR123 Explosion during use, underwear change required)

I just think the pm6 cant handle 2 batteries of different voltages, and other lights can... simple as that.

-David

Damn, glad your ok. I'm in a wheelchair and I've got a Mr. Bulk modded Peli M6 I've often carried in my teeth for the 1/4 mile trip to my local ACE or a little further to the grocery. Guess I won't be doing that again. Can't imagine what that gas venting from the tailcap would be like directly in my mouth. Can't wait till my Electro Lumens AA light get here, scheduled delivery today.
    Mr Bulk Ti Dragon, SS & Black DragonHeart, Lion Cub, SNII, PM6 5w... GatLight III Ti & Tux... Arcmania KIT - B, Maxlite II, TTH... Milky KL3 w/Cree and KL1 w/Seoul 3 - 11 volt input. To name a few of my upper end lights.

Flashaholic*

"Batteries may explode, pyrolize or vent if disassembled, crushed, recharged or exposed to high temperatures."

Quoted from: http://www.duracell.com/oem/safety/pdf/2003_5C.pdf

Just how powerfull is that spring on the PM6?
    It's not really OCD if you call it a hobby.

Silver Moderator

Hello David,

Quote Originally Posted by David_Campen
    I say this becuse it is true.

Yes, I have read a lot about them.

Yes, I had read that thread. It is one of the threads that shows that the ZTS test results are worthless. Here is the specific post from SilverFox that shows that the ZTS values are random:
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...&postcount=148

Yes, that the ZTS test results are worthless. Thank you for digging up the thread with SilverFox's excellent data showing this.

I suggest that you take another look at that graph.

You may not have noticed that the difference (in Watt Hours) between a cell at 100% and one at 80% is around 16%. When matching cells for demanding applications, I try to get them a lot closer than that.

The ZTS tester is not perfect, but I still feel that it can be very useful.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Flashaholic

Wow, these threads really scare me and my desire to own CR123 primary cell lights.

Flashaholic*

I suggest that you take another look at that graph.

You may not have noticed that the difference (in Watt Hours) between a cell at 100% and one at 80% is around 16%. When matching cells for demanding applications, I try to get them a lot closer than that.
    I have looked closely. Let me tabulate the data here:

ZTS "number"...............Wh
    80............................ 2.4

Looks like junk results to me.

The ZTS tester is not perfect, but I still feel that it can be very useful.
    It certainly doesn't seem to be able to tell how much power remains in a cell.

Silver Moderator

Hello David,

I think you may be missing the point a little bit.

When mismatched cells are used together, one of the cells gets hotter than the others. If the cell gets hot enough, pressure builds up and it vents. If the vented gas is combustible and there is an ignition source, we have the possibility of flame.

We have tried measuring the open circuit voltage of these cells, and did not have much success in determining differences. The ZTS tester checks the voltage under a pulse load, and based on a look up standard table, reports the percentage of remaining capacity. Unfortunately, the ZTS tester data is based on cells that have a normal discharge curve that starts out high, levels out, then drops off at the end. If a cell behaves differently by starting off at a lower voltage, then increasing in voltage as the chemicals heat up, then finally dropping off at the end, it is not going to be accurately represented by the ZTS tester.

However, if you have a critical application that uses multi cells and the ZTS tester indicates that the cells are at different levels, it offers the possibility of doing a quick, non invasive, matching of our cells. It is safer than flash amp testing, more convenient than doing a pulse on the CBA, and is portable enough to be used in the field if needed.

I believe it is well understood that the ZTS numbers may not be totally accurate (especially with lithium chemistry), but it does seem to give reasonably repeatable results. I would love to have an inexpensive alternative that is exactly accurate for all chemistries in all states of charge, but I have not been able to find one.

Do you have any suggestions? What are you using to match your cells in your multi cell lights? Have you noticed any problems in your multi cell applications? What methods do you use to minimize the dangers involved with using multiple lithium cells?

The testing results may look like junk to you, but I see things differently. I can just grab some new cells and hope that they are all good, use my lights and ignore the possible dangers, or I can run a test on the cells in an effort to minimize some of the danger.

As I have said before, the ZTS tester is not perfect, but it may be able to alert us to some potential dangers before we experience “rapidly venting with flame” firsthand.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

A few have posted their suspicions of the spring in the PM6 putting stress on the batteries, thus causing failure. After I got my PM6 out (new version w/ clickie) to check it over, I noticed something interesting regarding the springs. Unlike most flashlights, the head on the PM6 does not have a defined stopping point when tightening it down. In fact, if the batteries or the LA are removed, the head can be tightened down almost to no end.

This means that the user is free to put a large degree of pressure on the batteries simply by hand-tightening the head too much. Has anybody else noticed this about the PM6? Is this the case with the older model, or only the new clickie version? To the experts: how likely a culprit is something like this in the aforementioned accident?
    U2 | G2L | G2Z | L4 | LX2 | A2 | E2e | Mag2C ROP-LE | ML1 | ML1-X | L1-Cree | SF-III | T1A w/ XP-G | Malkoff MD2 w/ M60L, HAIII 6P w/ M60,M61

OMG, I am glad you are ok. You should notify Pelican about this incident including pictures of everything. Pelican must investigate this accident throughly and redesign its flashlight model.

This is dangerous accident. Other people are potentially can get hurt from using the Pelican M6.
    Admiral of Starfleet Special Operation Forces. We are the vanguard of the Federation against hostile forces.

Flashaholic*

Hi Tom,

Allow me to reorder your comments in my response.

I believe it is well understood that the ZTS numbers may not be totally accurate (especially with lithium chemistry), but it does seem to give reasonably repeatable results. I would love to have an inexpensive alternative that is exactly accurate for all chemistries in all states of charge, but I have not been able to find one.
    The problem is just that; it does not seem to be well understood that the ZTS MBT "numbers" do not correlate with the power content of a cell. In fact, in another thread, where I mentioned that even though the MBT could not measure power capacity of a cell with any accuracy some people thought at least that it might prove useful for matching cells according to some other characteristics, people took me to task for suggesting an "off label" use of the MBT.

When mismatched cells are used together, one of the cells gets hotter than the others. If the cell gets hot enough, pressure builds up and it vents. If the vented gas is combustible and there is an ignition source, we have the possibility of flame.
    Perhaps. This would seem more important in lights that operate cells in parallel such as the Surefire M6.

However, if you have a critical application that uses multi cells and the ZTS tester indicates that the cells are at different levels, it offers the possibility of doing a quick, non invasive, matching of our cells. It is safer than flash amp testing, more convenient than doing a pulse on the CBA, and is portable enough to be used in the field if needed.
    But this is not what ZTS markets the MBT for. ZTS claims that the MBT can measure the power capacity of a cell.

Do you have any suggestions? What are you using to match your cells in your multi cell lights? Have you noticed any problems in your multi cell applications? What methods do you use to minimize the dangers involved with using multiple lithium cells?
    I believe that you need to differentiate between cells used in series vesus cells operated in parallel.

I use Lithium AA cells. If I used 123 cells I would hope to see some actual experimentation to try to determine the problem instead of encouraging the use of untested and unproven talismans.

As for the Pelican M6 I haven't seen any evidence that any sort of battery matching would have prevented these explosive venting events - no one yet knows what it causing this. As some people have speculated; mechanical damage to a cell could have been causative.

The testing results may look like junk to you,
    And they are junk for the people who think that the MBT is measuring the power capacity of a cell.

but I see things differently. I can just grab some new cells and hope that they are all good, use my lights and ignore the possible dangers, or I can run a test on the cells in an effort to minimize some of the danger
    As I have said before, the ZTS tester is not perfect, but it may be able to alert us to some potential dangers before we experience “rapidly venting with flame” firsthand.
    Perhaps, but there is no evidence that MBT matching of cells would prevent these explosive venting events.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast