First off, let me say I hope there's no lasting injuries and I'm sure your foot will feel better when it quits hurting...
Secondly, I must say I am impressed that the BatteryStation people are standing firmly behind the batteries, offering to replace everything to make it right. This is very impressive, especially as we can't say with 100% certainty that they batteries were new / at fault. ('Probably' doesn't cut it with some vendors!)
I know I use Battery Station Lithium 123s with confidence, although I don't think I'll encourage any of my students to use incadescent lithium lights for long-term lighting!
Lunarmodules comment was worth its weight in GOLD, folks!
The main point I want to get out to anyone who reads this is to know the warning signs: very, very, very short notice. The pressure release was extremely sudden and violent. I did have ten seconds or so that I could have used to throw the light away, behind a piece of furniture or into a box to contain the damage / shield myself. What I can recommend is if anyone feels their light vibrate, smells a pungent chemical odor, and/or sees or hears a rushing sound of gas like steam from a tea kettle come from the light, THROW IT AWAY FROM YOU AND ANYONE ELSE NEARBY. Treat it exactly like a firework (like a big bottle rocket) with the wick lit. Dont try to switch it off, although it may help, it may not.That, folks, is worth a sticky at the top of the forum!