LS mod or Opalec Newbeam?

FNG

Enlightened
$30 vs $? How much will it cost for the LS mod? Differences in brightness and throw?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Opalec and several Luxeon Stars (LS) lights, and use them both.

The Opalec is nowhere near as bright as a LS.

Does not mean it is a bad light.

For applications that you were using a mini-mag, the Opalec is probably a much better choice.

I find that people use mini-mags for "arms length" applications, or for general illumination 5-15 feet in front of them, and for those applications, the Opalec puts out a pure, broad, even white light.

But, to compare the LS to the Opalec, the LS will be, from 5-20 times brighter than the Opalec, depending on who made it.

It's like comparing a bike to a motorcycle. The motorcycle is much much faster, but it doesn't mean the bike is no good!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, what Budd and Slick said, especially the bike/motorcycle and personal satisfaction parts...

Actually I sold off many of my dimmer led lights, just saw no use for them now that the much brighter LS mods have arrived. For up close and personal lighting I keep a couple of keychain lights, but everything else is much nicer when illuminated in pure, white, bright light.

JMHO...

FNG

Enlightened
Can someone post the instructions on how to do the LS mod? I took an electronics course for a year so I think I can handle this. Ive built a lot of things. All I need are instuctions.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FNG:
Can someone post the instructions on how to do the LS mod? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All ya hve to do is read around the various theads in this forum.

Quickbeam's mod page was one I got a lot of reading value from. So just read up because there are no "instructions". My personal approach is to read up and keep the ideas I like best from a combination of all the ideas I read about. Then I add in my own ideas to make it the way I want. Then come back here to share what you've learned (like you see in the other mod posts), and tell everyone what you like and dislike about your mod.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Base the decision on your skill level. The opalec is a drop-in, whereas the LS requires a bit of skill and patience to fit into a small AA light.

I like the LS because it's cheaper (~$15) and much brighter, plus I derive a great deal of satisfaction from doing the mod myself.