Drop in 3mm and 5mm LED modules for Mini-Mag

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a couple of photos of some drop in modules for the Mini-Mag being done by Mike Jordan here in Japan..

1. 3mm focussable regulated LED module
mj3prod1.jpg
mj3prod3.jpg

2. 7 x 5mm LED regulated module
mj7led2.jpg

mj7led4.jpg
mj7led5.jpg

I'll be putting up a page with some photos of these on my site here (don't get your hopes up, nothing fancy..). Some beam shots are already there.

Graham

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Graham,

Nice photos, cool modules and we look forward to the growth of your web page.
grin.gif

Can you share anything about the regulation and nature of the LED drivers in these torches? Huh Huh? Compliments to Mike Jordan!

- Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures,

How bright are those things?

MJ, Great to see you your pictures!

The first picture, it looks like the LED has been cut down and polished. Is this true? I would suspect a cut down LED would work better with the existing reflector.

-WayneY

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've put up beam shots together with some other lights here.

Yes, the 3mm LED has been ground down and repolished to give a 180 or 190 degree beam dispersal, so that it can be focussed using the Mini Mag reflector. It works very well, and the focussed spot has quite impressive throw.

Graham

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty neat stuff.

I'm starting to feel absolutely "neanderthalish" with my mods etc. compared to what everyone else seems to be doing.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7 LED module is very impressive to look at. I never would have thought you could jam 7 5mm LEDs and a regulator circuit into a module like that, but there it is..

The module I have even has a pot to adjust the regulator voltage, although my understanding is that this may not be in a production version.

Graham

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Graham:
Here's a couple of photos of some drop in modules for the Mini-Mag being done by Mike Jordan here in Japan..

1. 3mm focussable regulated LED module
mj3prod1.jpg
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey... I've got something like that, but I didn't get it from Jordan. Mine came from a US outfit.
Wonder if he's making these FOR that company.

moraino

Enlightened
Originally posted by Graham:
The 7 LED module is very impressive to look at. I never would have thought you could jam 7 5mm LEDs and a regulator circuit into a module like that, but there it is..

The module I have even has a pot to adjust the regulator voltage, although my understanding is that this may not be in a production version.

Graham
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Graham,

That ARC LS looks very close to natural light without the blue tint.

May be somebody inspired by this 7 LED mod will consider adding a color LED to balance up the BLUE tint and made it closer to the ARC LS beam.

Nice post, I will buy some white Nichia to try out with DAT2ZIP MADMAX board.

Henry

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I like that 7 LED mod. That should rock! This ought to make some nice light without consuming the current of Luxeon. Keep us posted please!

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
The ARC LS looks bright and white - but at what cost = Yikes.

The 7 LED module looks too dim for my blood, but Iwonder what it'tl cost.

Does anybody know if I can drop this 7 LED module into a failed Mini-Mag?? I have one with a no good switching mechanism. That entire black goodie that holds the regular bulb is totally NG.
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
type.gif
™</font>

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7 LED module does look a bit dim compared to the X5, but I suspect it is because the X5 LEDs are overdriven a bit (please correct me if I'm mistaken..)
The LEDs in this module are not overdriven.

However, there is also the fact that the photos were done on separate occasions. Camera setting should be the same, but I probably should go through and do them again in one session to be sure.

Graham

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely must have this 7 LED unit. I dont think I can live without it. I also got an answer to my question regarding dropping these modules into a failed Mini-Mag = no can do. I gathered this from looking at the stuff about the 3 LED module.
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
type.gif
™</font>

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
Wow that 7 led unit looks very tightly done - what is the time frame that these are going to be released for public purchase?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Graham,

I see those acrylic ball pictures. I went down and picked some up and one fits in the end of my minimag. Here is a picture of it.

m1.jpg

It's a pretty tight beam and shines for a long distance with a Luxeon 1W and MADMAX board in it.

-WayneY

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone,

Sorry for not replying about these...

I need to mention that after discussion with Mike, who made these, he has informed me that the 7 LED mod is currently just a prototype, and it is likely that no more will be made. In terms of regulation, he has made both a regulated and an unregulated version.

Graham

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
Graham, that is really bad news, I had hoped to get the 7 LED version. Now all hopes are dashed. If the 3 LED mod is as bright as shown - the 7 would just smoke.
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
sad.gif
™</font>