Maxpedition - Bags and Packs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you "Mouth Hold"???

Flashaholic*

Default How many of you "Mouth Hold"???

I catch myself holding the Flashlight in my mouth while I'm working on something so I can use both my hands !!!!

After reading about Lunarmodule and his "Explosion" with fire, toxic gasses and chemicals.......

I know somebody (NiteEze?) makes a mouth piece for mini mags, so allot of people must do this !!!

How many of you Mouth Hold ????? Any alternatives besides head lamps???

frisco

Default Re: How many of you "Mouth Hold"???

I do sometimes, but if I need extended use hands free, I'll use my Jil in the baseball cap clip thingy. Haven't really found the want or need to get a true headlamp, since I don't really do anything that'd require it.

Flashaholic

I'm often tempted to mouthhold, but don't do it when I think how unhygenic it is.

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

I hold either my Fenix L0P or my Arc AAA Std. with lip-covered teeth. (AA-powered lights are too big, I think.) It's convenient, quick and effective for short intervals like opening a door at night. As far as hygiene is concerned, I consider it no worse than touching a finger to your lips.

I used to do it a lot and chipped all of my front teeth from using the light like that.

So, I started to tip my head to the left and hold it like a phone. You have to tip to a severe angle to hold smaller lights.

Since I started that habit I have herniated two discs in my neck; my head doesn't tip very well now.

Recently I have invested in Mr. Dae Xu's 25 LED head light for $7 and change. I can't say the flashlight was the sole source of my discomfort but a little preperation and small change would have helped. (my fishing buddies and me really like the way the 25 LED light illuminates the area when night fishing!)

I like the mouth piece idea.
    <; )}}}}>< I fish therfore I am... pic links: '03,'07,'08

I have a headband that will fit my lights, but dont always have it with me, so I mouthhold occasionally. Need to stop by the hardware store for some tubing.

Enlightened

I find myself mouthholding my light on occasion when I need both hands temporarily. I use my lips to cover my teeth and find the Arc AAA or CR2 Ion is the largest light comfortable for mouthholding.

Mouthholding never appealed to me for a number of reasons already mentioned in this thread. However, the need to have your hands free and shed some light is a good enough reason/excuse to buy a light(s) that can do the job. I tried headlights in the past, but find the headband uncomfortable and who can carry a headlight all the time? I use my HDS with a baseball cap or a Nite-Ize clip-on with a Photon-clone when I need hands-free.

I "Chin Hold" my U60 quite often, does that count?
    Carrying a firearm for self-defense gives you great power. Society expects great responsibility from those with great power.

Flashaholic*

It's something you do on the spur of the moment when you don't have a head lamp, an elastic head band holder, or baseball cap/clip available and need both hands. It's only good for a minute or so with me or I start drooling.

In preparation for mouth holding, I've slipped a piece of plastic tubing over the tail cap/rear body of my EDC Dorcy 1AAA (modded), which also holds the tail cap firmly in place. I've wrapped some electrician's tape over the tail cap of my L1P for the same reason. I haven't - but should - also do that for my Civictor but I like the knurling so much...

Cheap RR 2xAAA makes a nice clip-to-baseball-cap light.

The problem with headlights is that I can't carry one all the time. They are fine for some planned tasks but I need both of my hands in far more unplanned situations than I could ever hope to have a headlight handy for.

I've been putting sleeves of one material or another on lights since the 80s. I started using a 1/2" strip of clear vinyl around the tail for my teeth but lately I've been using a slice of bicycle inner tube. I never know when I'll need it but it's there for me all the time. I've done it for so long that it's just second nature to me. It has become a thoughtless process. (That's good)
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 06-10-2006 at 10:46 AM.

I only do this on extremely rare occasions where I find myself in a bind and nothing else will work. I usually curl my lips around my teeth so I'm only holding it with the outer skin around my lips so I won't pick up any pathogens from it. I do have a headlight and I use it whenever I know in advance that I'm going to be needing both hands free.

Quote Originally Posted by nuggett
    I have a headband that will fit my lights, but dont always have it with me, so I mouthhold occasionally. Need to stop by the hardware store for some tubing.
    1 vote here for the headband - IF I remember to take it with me. If not I have been seen with the lip covered teeth "built in" flashlight holder.
    Scott N.

Although I would prefer not to, sometimes when I need to use two hands I often find myself using the mouth hold. Especially with the Orb Raw becuase the small groove in the tail it perfect for that.
    My small collection: Surefire 8ax, Orb Raw, Costco 10 million and 15 million, Streamlight Ultrastinger, and the Exolion

I wouldn't mouthhold a HAIII light, maybe a lanyard that can be transformed to headband for a light would be nice.

AlexGT

This is hy I love clipped lights, I always wear a hat with a bill for instant headlamp. Heck, one time I just used a bandana to tie an E2E to the side of my head to fix an old light mount on the catwalk of a theater.

Rolleye11 Re: How many of you "Mouth Hold"???

I mouth hold my HDS when no headlamp or strap is around. Usually a couple of minutes at the time and with my lips covering my teeth.
    It is my light and gets rinsed of regularly so I don't think it is anything worse than putting your finger to your lips.

If there are any basketball-players here you are probably use to wetting your fingertips for better ball-control and compared to a basketball my HDS is squeaky clean

As far as explosion risk is conserned; you'd get a slight warning, hissing/heat and plenty of time to spit it out.
    I'd be more scared about it doing something funny while in my pocket where I wouldn't notice it until it went boom....

The Dorcy AAA was a favorite as it is short and has a rubber grip.

See Uma Thurman mouth hold in the movie Kill Bill II.

Quote Originally Posted by frisco
    How many of you Mouth Hold ????? Any alternatives besides head lamps???
    Do it all the time - as I get longer sighted, I need a lot more light to read the flyspeck font on most motherboards. A Fauxton held between the teeth serves very well for this purpose.

I do it all the time with my RAW ns and that little sucker is totally upprotected......uses an uprotected battery too. What the hell......you want to live forever ?

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

I was mouth holding my Q-3 yesterday whilke crawling under my desk at work. Think i may have hurt a tooth LOL

Not for me. I can usually find a place to prop a light to illuminate what need be.
    Have had enough friends who've mouth held something only to find a sudden jar or such has now chipped a tooth or two. Not that my teeth are pretty to begin with.

Momma told me, "only put things in your mouth you intened to eat."
    Mike

Flashaholic*

Not me, I catch myself when I find myself considering it. I have too much expensive. dental work I dont want to repeat. One being my very front tooth that I had broken out with a steel pipe when in 8th grade.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Flashaholic*

Some possible solutions to this:

1. Keep a couple of skinny rubber bands in your pocket -- and wrap it around that light's body -- just for times like this. I've already wrapped some of my more slippery lights with rubber bands -- simply to improve their grip. Based on this experience, I recommend those big purple rubber bands that grocers use to wrap broccoli. Think "organic high fiber," dude!

2. Maybe somebody needs to invent a pocketable "flashlight condom" for this. I am not volunteering my services.

Quote Originally Posted by TonkinWarrior
    2. Maybe somebody needs to invent a pocketable "flashlight condom" for this. I am not volunteering my services.
    I love it. The era of safe lighting has begun...just put the gun to my head.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

chipped my tooth on my e2e
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

Sounds like someone has to invent "The Light Condom".

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus
    Sounds like someone has to invent "The Light Condom".

Cliff

They do sell finger condoms.....

frisco

ohh ya..the worst is the U2, E1L..and umm while writing this I tried an M4 with 2 A19's

sounded like sand in the mouth. No wonder I got to a cosmetic dentist and he takes ALL my non-flahsligh money lol