Lambda Illuminator vs Pill vs LGI vs ARC-LS (beamshots)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Had nothing better to do since at first I was horrified that CPF was possibly down again because I could not access it after four tries(!!!). So I lined up the four brightest Luxeon LED mods I had laying around (alright the Arc is a production model) and took comparison beamshots.

The LED warriors were, from left to right, the Arc SLS, Lambda Illuminator, Lambda Ill Pill, and my own LGI (Long Gun Illuminator) Legend 3AA DirectDrive mod.

Beamshots were taken from exactly one meter (39-3/8th inches) away:

LED-Shoot-Out.JPG

Although the Arc with CR123 pack might seem slightly brighter than the Illuminator, light meter readings at another post proved otherwise. The clear winner is still the LGI, with an obviously larger as well as brighter and whiter hotspot. And look at how white the Pill and LGI are compared to the other two. The Pill and LGI are using the latest Luxeons which produce a whiter output for some reason; perhaps the manufacturer has learned something about improved phosphor application, especially after the Lambertian was developed.

Ahhhh, the things flashoholics come up with when there's nothing else to do...

Empath

Flashaholic
How do you get that much light out of your Illuminator. My LS does put out an intense bright beam, but my Illuminator barely matches the Clipper 3. It does eat batteries as if it were bright though.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm, the Illuminator (mine) always seemed pretty darn bright ever since I got it. I dunno, Lambda has said that QC on the older LS's has gone begging, to put it mildly.

I did see a new example of the Lambertian with hand-written note attached indicating a factory-tested rating (mine said 20.7 LuW, I think it was) of each one. So perhaps they are getting really serious about QC now.

BTW LuW stands for "Lumens Per Watt", so it already exceeds the 18 LuW Batwing spec, and thus ratings may indeed morph as predicted by PG.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
DANG ! What's up with that yellow grip on the LGI??
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
The bad guys'll see that one coming a mile away!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Seriously, I have to say that I like the rib pattern on the "older" colored grips better, since the ribs are all "thick" and the same size and spacing. My black grip models use the newer "thin-rib" patern that seems to "mush around" easier and doesn't feel quite as good in the hand.

Did the yellow one have the smaller diameter (internal) flashlight head?

BTW - I'm really liking those beam shotz being a LGI owner too.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I've replaced the grip on my LI with inner-tube from a bicycle turned inside out. Looks a lot better(more flush with the body), and very slip resistant...
grin.gif

ps, replacing the plastic lens with a mineral one made a (mall but noticable) difference in light output.
cool.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by *BlackBart*:
I've replaced the grip on my LI with inner-tube from a bicycle turned inside out. Looks a lot better(more flush with the body), and very slip resistant...
grin.gif

ps, replacing the plastic lens with a mineral one made a (mall but noticable) difference in light output.
cool.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmmm... I might have to try that. Were you able the remove the original grip without destroying it? I've used innertube for similar projects and about the only "negative" is the skunky smell of the rubber.

I'll be checking out a mineral glass lens sometime soon, glad to hear of the improvement. I just might have to order a bunch.