Who's Made the Smallest Luxeon Mod?

bucken

Enlightened
Who\'s Made the Smallest Luxeon Mod?

Inspired by Lambda's Ill Pills and his recent Pocket Copper, this very amateur wanna-be modder came up with this...
fd762b47.jpg

Lambda Illuminator is on top, Arc SLS in the middle, and my mod on the bottom. Actual measurements are 0.75" O.D. diameter, and 1.42" long (I believe that Lambda used standard 3/4" I.D. copper, so that makes mine ever so slightly smaller). It's driven by a 3V 123 Surefire battery, which just barely fits inside the tube.
fd762b2f.jpg

The collimator lense had to be sanded to a smaller diameter to fit, and is protected by a very cheap plastic lense from another keychain light which just happened to be the right size. The Luxeon is non other than one of Lambda's Ill Pills which also has a small strip of bent shim stock which connects the negative contact of the "Pill" to the inner surface of the copper tube. I may solder it to the "Pill" for a much better connection if I decide to keep this mod as it is. I haven't made any improvements yet, as I'm still amazed that it actually works!

The momentary/constant-ON tailswitch (Yes, it actually functions as a constant ON switch... Well, it works most of the time... OK, but it really does work SOMETIMES) is nothing more than a plastic protective cover off of some special fittings that we have laying around the shop where I work. A penny actually fits inside the cap, which provides negative current flow from the battery to the copper tube when the cap is pushed-in. A small spring connecting the penny to the negative battery terminal also helps keep everything from moving around, and also ensures good contact with the battery. The spring also makes the momentary switch function (which IS very reliable) to work. The constant-ON function is solely dependent upon the friction fit of the plastic cap to the copper tube.
fd762b26.jpg

The above beam shots are taken with the lights only about 6" from a white background. The Cu Mod is on the left, Arc SLS in the middle, and the Lambda Illuminator on the right. I really believe that the brightness of my mod could be greatly improved if I would solder the negative contact to the "Pill". I say this because the shim stock just barely touches the contact surface. I've also noticed that if I shake the mod when it is lit, sometimes I get some really bright flashes of light. I think this means that I still have a poor connection.

None-the-less, I'm still very happy (and still in shock
shocked.gif
) that this amateurish attempt actually works!

Has anyone else made a smaller Luxeon light, yet?
(Hint: I don't know for how long or how well, but I do know that the "Pill" can be driven by the tiny 6V and 12V batteries that are used in garage door openers, etc.)

-bucken-

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Who\'s Made the Smallest Luxeon Mod?

Now that is COOL!!!

I don't think you could get it any smaller than this basic configuration, with the LS and 123 being the sizes they already are...unless you stick a couple of those flat CR2032 watch batteries directly behind the LS Pill...heh heh.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Now that is COOL!!!

I don't think you could get it any smaller than this basic configuration, with the LS and 123 being the sizes they already are...unless you stick a couple of those flat CR2032 watch batteries directly behind the LS Pill...heh heh.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Funny you should bring that up - I just tried running an LS off 3 CR2025s in series and the combi would make one HECKUVA keychain light. The only problem is that with the batwings, the beam is too diffuse. Wonder how the HDs will do here.

I can see it now - someone whips out his photon, and out comes this 9V LS pocket beast...
grin.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*

Yeah, but with 3 CR2025s, how long would the LS last?

About 5 minutes??

rolleyes.gif

Nice idea though.

YC

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by bucken:
None-the-less, I'm still very happy (and still in shock
shocked.gif
) that this amateurish attempt actually works!-bucken-
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As you well should be!

Now you can enjoy refining your creation into something even better. Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by hotfoot:
[qb]the beam is too diffuse.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Half-round acrylic ball lens!

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by hotfoot:
[qb]the beam is too diffuse.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Half-round acrylic ball lens!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You read my mind! Ah, how I love this fellowship of like minds....
cool.gif

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by yclo:
Yeah, but with 3 CR2025s, how long would the LS last?

About 5 minutes??

rolleyes.gif

Nice idea though.

YC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm... even 5 minutes might be too optimistic. If I ever build one, it'll just be to see the look on a guys's face when I produce it after he flashes (literally) his "Brightest Keychain Light In The World" 5mm nichia photon clone. Its for shock value.

Yclo, you must have a really fine set of tweezers (or the fingers of a mouse) to have folded those paper cranes! They don't happen to light up, do they?
wink.gif