• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

newb alert! replace reflector in aleph 19 head?

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
Is it difficult to open up an aleph 19 head (that has a lux3 tx1j in it) and replace the reflector with the mcr19F? The idea being to end up with a nice floody light.

Will this require any special tools?

thanks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Teh McR-19 with a LuxIII already *is* a floody light ... what else do you want?
Maybe another head/LED combo would work better?

Opening the head is easy, just unscrew the bezel ring by applying mild rpessure from your hand, drop out the window (and pay attention to which side is IN as it is this one that sports the fragile AR coating) and there you are.

bernie

mahoney

Enlightened
You don't even have to remove the bezel to swap the reflector on the Aleph 19, just remove the LE and the reflector should slide out the back. Slide in the new reflector, re-install the LE and you're done

That said, I've tried this mod with a Luxeon based LE and I was not impressed. With a 3 watt Lux LE, the McR 19 gives a beautifully blended smooth beam that is a focused flood with a bit of a hotspot. The McR 19F gives a beam that is "floodier" but it has concentric rings like a bullseye. YMMV, especially with a Cree or Nichia based LE.

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
thanks to both of you.

I was just going by the descriptions on the Sandwich Shoppe website, which says that with a luxeon, the mcr19 isn't as floody as with the mcr19f, which was designed for a flood.

I'll do some searching and see if I can find some beamshots to look at, which is probably what I should have done from the start. Based on what you've both said, though, the mod seems pretty silly.

Fringe

Enlightened
I just bought an Aleph 19 UV head and it is great. Not only do I have the uselfulness of a UV light, but I can switch out engines and have a great flood beam light. I am happy. Can't believe it took me this long to get one.