HDS EDC.... worth it?

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
I keep reading a lot about these lights, originally dismissed them because i already have a SF L2. Are these lights made better than surefires? I currently don't carry a light (on my person), but am looking for a small light (was going to get the Raw Ns) but havn't ordered one yet. If these are made even better than SF's, then definetly going to order both.

heathah

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if they're better than SureFires as I don't own one (SF) but I know the HDSs are well worth it, especially if you get one of the B42XRGTs that are on sale now for $99. The U60XRGTs aren't a bad deal either at $210 if you want a more robust light. Overall they are excellent lights. Very nice fit and finish. I'm sure if you bought one, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
The HDS EDC is a good EDC (confusing enough?) but they are not tiny - they are bigger than the Neo T3 for example, which I think is an excellent EDC, if you like a twisty and don't need all the features of the HDS like variable output and programmability....

I am EDCing my HDS EDC, however. :)

KingSmono

Enlightened
I think it's the perfect EDC. I thought I lost my Ultimate 60 this weekend, and I without hesitation, I was about to pull the trigger on a U60XRGT... but then I found mine... :)

It's built like a tank, very versatile, and extremely robust. Henry of HDS thinks like I do when designing his 'tools'... Function over Form.

-Allen

nethiker

Enlightened
They are absolutely "worth it" to me. One of the first lights I bought here on CPF when they first came out and I've carried it in a sheath on my belt every day since. I would only suggest looking at McGizmo's PD as well. That's the one I'm dreaming about currently and the only other light I would consider replacing my HDS with right now. Ti PD in a beaver artofthehide holster--Wow. Looks like gregw may be doing another run of his Exolions, and that is an amazing keychain light. If I was to carry only one light, that would be it. It's output and beam covers 90% of my needs and it's sooo small and slick.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get the B42XRGT for $99 shipped I think they are worth it.

Think of it as a pint sized L2.

I too carry it holstered on my belt.

It is a beautiful well built light. The 4 levels are really useful.

Do it!

revv11

Newly Enlightened
If I had to pick only one light to keep out of my collection, the HDS would be at the top of the list.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Given all the recent changes at HDS (price reductions, discontinuing certain models), I would possibly hold out a bit longer (could be some time though, so be patient), and get their newest light...

I'm waiting until the end of summer, and if it doesn't happen by then, I say we all go to Tucson and picket outside HDS until get some answers from Henry! There's nothing worse than a group of organized CPF'rs!!! :twak::buddies::candle:

john

kromeke

Enlightened
Short answer: Yes.

I only have one Surefire, it is a U2. The construction on the HDS product is on par with the Surefire. The machining is excellent, the finish is excellent (allowing for slight color variations inherit with type III anodize). I also have a first run Arc LS and the HDS has much better construction than the Arc LS first run. I love it. If you can get a Basic 42 for $100, you won't regret it. (I have the Basic 42XRGT) The levels are perfect for me.

As far as holding out for future HDS products, I don't know if their lowest cost model is going to be any less than the current pricing on the basic 42s. I'd get one now. They are excellent lights. I was originally holding out for a U60, but when the B42 went on sale, I couldn't resist.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the build quality is up there with SF. It won't put out as many lumens as your L2, but it is probably the best single-cell LED light on the market. I sold my L2 a while ago, a U60 xrgt is my edc. I really like the lowest levels and the ability to program it. :)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would differ from most of the options expressed. Personally, I would think of buying HDS only if I know what exact bin, tint and Vf the LED is there in the Light. For me, Its $100 Light... way too expensive, to allow Luxeon Lottery.

If you are looking for a Simple, sweet and reliable EDC, I would suggest Peak Pacific with CR2 (small and bright) and I know it contains T Bin LED with J Vf , it's around $50 + Body

EDIT: Also, just would like to warn you that there have been some observations of some QC Related Issues with the 'discounted' HDS EDC's. If you want to buy, buy the non 'discounted' version, I would recomend EDC Ultimate XRGT 60 (that's the best bet) as of now it should put you down by :) $210. but it's still better of the Luxeon Lottery ;)

Last edited:

pilotmx5

Newly Enlightened
Wow Gang!

I really appreciate the quick responses.
What i was looking for was (1) new light to buy over the summer and originally (as i had in a previous thread) started looking at the Orb Ns, maybe a e1L, or a ROP project- (i know i know, none are comparable), but this HDS thing looks just as popular as SF projects, and i was trying to stay on the cheaper side of things... maybe 100-150$ absolute max until the Kroma comes out(i can hardly wait for that grrrrr).

I think if i were going to buy the HDS, i'd go for the top of the line and that's just not in the budget right now... and i guess they have a more powerful version coming out?

Probably going to hold out but man, given the overwhelming approval, one of these might be in my collection sooner rather than later.

hivoltage

Enlightened
I might be posting an HDS XRGT for sale tonight....if I really like the used McLux PD my wife says showed up in the mail today!!!!

Hans

Enlightened
ViReN said:
If you are looking for a Simple, sweet and reliable EDC, I would suggest Peak Pacific with CR2 (small and bright) and I know it contains T Bin LED with J Vf , it's around $50 + Body

EDIT: Also, just would like to warn you that there have been some observations of some QC Related Issues with the 'discounted' HDS EDC's. If you want to buy, buy the non 'discounted' version, I would recomend EDC Ultimate XRGT 60 (that's the best bet) as of now it should put you down by :) $210. but it's still better of the Luxeon Lottery ;)

The Peak is a very nice light, but in a different class altogether. Only one level, fairly limited output compared to the HDS. I personally would not buy a light today that doesn't offer at least two different levels. It's as simple as that.

As to the differences in QC - where did you hear about those observations? I got three of the discounted HDS Basic 42 lights last week, one for myself and two more for some friends. All were non-GT lights, so there was some variation in tint, but nothing out of the ordinary, and even the "worst" light was still pretty white. Everything else about these lights was top notch. Also, I'm sure Henry offers the same sort of service to owners of these discounted lights as to owners of all his other lights, and his service is excellent.

Hans

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I just received my EDCB 42 XRGT from batterystation (excellent service btw) and definatley feel that its worth the investment. Mine is numbered #4132 and is able to stand on end perfectly balanced. This is my first HDS light and I couldn't ask for more! If anything buying the basic model has only made my interest in the ultimate variation with its multiple programmable levels more sincere.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the others have stated, the HDS is an excellent light. I bought mine in Nov and have not bought a light since. (I dunno if that is good or bad...the HDS does what I need it to.)

ianb

Enlightened
Yes, yes, yes!

Very flexible with the multiple outputs, yes not as much output as a L2, but it is much smaller and easily pocketable. My HDS is one of my few 'keepers' an indespensible light, if you do get one, a Ti Bezel ring looks really cool :D

Ian

jarobi

Enlightened
It was worth it to me ($99 B42 XRGT). I will never, ever spend more than 150 bucks for any light. When I saw the price reduction on HDS' site, I jumped on it. Very white, good usable spill, good throw. Battery life is phenomenal. I have switched from the L1 to the HDS for EDC. I use it at work each and every day. I always have an extra battery with me, so in the event of an emergency I'll have many hours of juice left.

I used it one night last week for an auto repair. I was driving home at night & my return power steering hose ruptured. I had some 3/8 inch hose in my truck along with a screwdriver. Clipped the light to my hat and changed the hose on the side of the road. If anyone has @100 bucks to spend on a light, this is the way to go right now IMHO.