Storacell
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Default Re: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

.99cent clearance 2xAA Garrity glow in the dark light. The THROW with these hosts is amazing with the SMJLED. The smooth parabolic reflector sends 90% of the light straight out. I love that it glows in the dark. I already had a bump in the night incident and opened my eyes to see my glowing AA light standing on the side table in total darkness. If it were waterproof I’d buy a dozen for myself but alas the slide switch. $2.99 for the D cell version which is quite nice also.

nerdgineer got me salivating over a Tec 20 host.

*awaits postman*

I have about a dozen of these so far and have tried them in all kinds of AA to D hosts. My favorites so far are 2C and 2D military style angle heads (included colored filters kind of handy). I also have pulled the battery holder out of several Sears 3AAA Lux flashlights and (after chiseling out plastic ridge in the battery compartment) put in 2 AA batteries and a SMJLED PR2. This setup has a great reflector/throw and I assume great runtime (haven't tested). I am very happy to have a use for these bulbless Sears lights. Also for nostalgia sake I bought several chrome Eveready Captain 2C lights off EBAY and really like the compact size and wide beam with a nice hot spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Light
    I also have pulled the battery holder out of several Sears 3AAA Lux flashlights and (after chiseling out plastic ridge in the battery compartment) put in 2 AA batteries and a SMJLED PR2. This setup has a great reflector/throw and I assume great runtime (haven't tested). I am very happy to have a use for these bulbless Sears lights.
    Hey! That's interesting. I have 2 host that are just sitting there!!
    Would it be a bit much for you to explain a little more and may be some pictures of that battery carrier on how you did that? I have some general idea but still not very clear on how that its done?

Lose the battery carrier, you don't need it. When you try to put AA's in it's place you will see the ribs that were used to guide the carrier and are in your way. File, chisel, dremel them down to allow the AA's to slide all the way down. Now a 2xAA light.

Hondo

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Lose the battery carrier, you don't need it. When you try to put AA's in it's place you will see the ribs that were used to guide the carrier and are in your way. File, chisel, dremel them down to allow the AA's to slide all the way down. Now a 2xAA light.

Hondo
    That's the ticket! I also made a little battery tube (wrapped some notebook paper around the batteries and put a piece of tape on it) to help keep the batteries aligned.

Flashaholic*

Lessee, I have one in a Rayovac Industrial 2D (better flood and nice tint, but not much brighter), but I had to screw around with the springs that make it explosion-safe:

a 15yr old Rayovac 2AA with a real nice smooth reflector, no pic, but great beam!;

a Sport Flare I got at Campmor for $6.99 (great for camping):

and a couple of other throwaway 2AAs that are much nicer now!

daloosh

I have found a great headlamp host for this bulb.

My uncle has always used headlamps when working on cars. I finally was able to ask to see the ones he has yesterday. He only had 2 but one of them was perfect for the SMJLED PR2.

It was Princeton Tec Quest. It takes 2 AA batteries and has an orange peal reflector. I put a SMJLED PR2 bulb in it and it was great!
    The headlamp is very simple. It does not have an on/off switch. You must unscrew the bezel a little bit to cut it off. It also has the third strap for the top of your head. Also waterproof to 500 ft. The head lamp also moves up/down even though it does not say so in the description of the one I linked to.

Here is the first one that popped up on google search http://scoutgear.com/ptq2.html
    Last edited by LifeNRA; 07-20-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lit Up
    nerdgineer got me salivating over a Tec 20 host.

*awaits postman*
    *having tried it out*

This is the host to get if you prefer more flood and a softer, diffused hot spot.
    It gets alot of flood for its size. The hotspot isn't as intense/concentrated as other hosts I have tried and doesn't throw as far, but that is due more to the reflector type the Tec 20 uses.
    I like it as I didn't have too many flood beam based lights. I have plenty that throw already.

Would make a good light to have around the neck with a lanyard in a power outtage setting or using it for room illumination/ceiling bounce. Although it will have to be wedged between a couple books or something, but the flat profile of the body makes it doable. The flat profile also makes it a good light you can hold in the mouth if needed. (Wrist lanyard removed of course)

Are there any remaining sources for the Tec 20 flashlight? If memory serves, PT discontinued it some time back. I really like the form factor! Me wants more, me wants more! Waaahhhhhhhhh!!
    --Scott

The Sport Tec is pretty much the same thing, except the bezel/lens is a single piece of clear plastic to accomodate the removable glow-in-the-dark cone.

Webster223
    Keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. -Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit
    Are there any remaining sources for the Tec 20 flashlight? If memory serves, PT discontinued it some time back. I really like the form factor! Me wants more, me wants more! Waaahhhhhhhhh!!
    Here's one place: http://frontiersurvival.com/printectec20.html

I'm sure there's more to be found with a google search. I think Amazon.com might even have some. You could always check B/S/T forum too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lit Up
    Here's one place: http://frontiersurvival.com/printectec20.html

I'm sure there's more to be found with a google search. I think Amazon.com might even have some. You could always check B/S/T forum too.

Thanks!

Is FrontierSurvival.com reputable? Never dealt with them before. Anyone have experience buying from these folks?
    --Scott

Flashaholic

I have two PT Tec 20 lights new in pack (never opened). They are blue. If anyone wants them, I'll sell them for $15 each shipped by Priority Mail. I probably won't use them, and I can use the cash for a new knife I'm thinking about splurging on (a ZDP Leek). Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Mods, if need be please move to BST.

Thanks,
    Ken

Flashaholic

Milkyspit,

Paypal received. The two Tec 20s are yours.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by LightHearted; 08-09-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Flashaholic*

Campmor sells the Sports Flare which is much like the Tec-20 for $6.99 plus shipping. I think 2 would be about $20.

Flashaholic

Doesn't the Sports Flare have a clear plastic bezel under the cone? The Tec20 has a nice rubber coated bezel that grips well when wet just like my Tec40. The Sports Flare is an option, though, if you don't mind all the light shining back at you through the clear plastic bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdgineer
    Campmor sells the Sports Flare which is much like the Tec-20 for $6.99 plus shipping. I think 2 would be about $20.
    Last edited by LightHearted; 08-09-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeNRA
    I have found a great headlamp host for this bulb.

My uncle has always used headlamps when working on cars. I finally was able to ask to see the ones he has yesterday. He only had 2 but one of them was perfect for the SMJLED PR2.

It was Princeton Tec Quest. It takes 2 AA batteries and has an orange peal reflector. I put a SMJLED PR2 bulb in it and it was great!
    The headlamp is very simple. It does not have an on/off switch. You must unscrew the bezel a little bit to cut it off. It also has the third strap for the top of your head. Also waterproof to 500 ft. The head lamp also moves up/down even though it does not say so in the description of the one I linked to.

Here is the first one that popped up on google search http://scoutgear.com/ptq2.html
    OK, this one is frustrating me, I picked up two of these with an order for PT Blasts to mod DD, so I could have a headlamp for the PR2 mod. I can't figure where the light is going. It just seems dimmer than any other flashlight host. I have tried a couple of different good SMJLED PR2's, different batteries, and checked actual current draw (130-140 ma), tried both lights, and it seems like it is doing everything right, but is DIM. The beam was a bit too tight as well, for me. It looked like the bulb might want to go a bit deeper in the reflector, and that was easy with the spring mounted bulb. I just made a ring of insulated bell wire and dropped it under the bulb flange. This made a significant difference, and now the beam is plenty good, smooth and reasonably usable hotspot size, just DIM. Did I mention this light is DIM with the SMJLED PR2 in it? I know some people had this sort of problem with the Eveready Contractor light, and removed the bulb spring in that one, solving the problem. My Eveready never had a problem with the spring, and it is actually one of several I am comparing to. I may try to remove the spring, but I don't think this thing can make contact without it.

Hondo

Sorry for the troubles Hondo.

I do not have access to the headlamp right now. My uncle is out of town because of a family emergency.
    I thought the headlamp was pretty bright with the SMJLED PR bulb but it was during the day that I tried it. I shined it under the hood of a car and it looked really good to me.
    I had no way of testing the throw so maybe it was not as bright as I perceived it to be.
    MOLON LABE!

Can one of these work in the 2xaaa Pelican Mitylite?

Post Re: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Quote Originally Posted by Talbert
    Can one of these work in the 2xaaa Pelican Mitylite?
    No, the MityLite uses a proprietary lamp module and not a PR type lamp.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    ...I may try to remove the spring, but I don't think this thing can make contact without it...
    Have you tried it without the spring? Did it help?

Nope, the spring is the negative path in these, and even if the bulb rattling when off was not a problem, it just won't light without the spring. My Eveready has not suffered from lack of brightness with the spring installed, but I wondered if in some bulbs it might not generate some kind of inductance that conflicts with the boost circuit.

I tried Progolding every contact in one of the lights, and that made no difference at all. I hate to conclude that the reflector is just not compatible with the bulb, but that may be the case. It does seem a bit shallow, but that is to be expected on a headlamp. The smoothness, and with a shim under the bulb flange, the size of the hotspot, are both very pleasing, so I would love to find the "missing" light. As it stands, I would continue to grab for my very blue River Rock headlamp, for brighness. This was going to be a long-running (although bigger), much whiter alternative to the RR. Any other ideas before I pop for return shipping and close the book on these?

Hondo

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15

.99cent clearance 2xAA Garrity glow in the dark light. The THROW with these hosts is amazing with the SMJLED. The smooth parabolic reflector sends 90% of the light straight out.
    It's worth mentioning that Garrity also sells an almost-identical non- glow-in-the-dark version, under the ValueLite name (#V500GN) for an everyday, non-discounted price of 99 cents. Academy Sporting Goods is a good source for them.

I agree that the throw (and the beam quality) is excellent - Comparable to a M*G Light (albeit without adjustable focus). The flashlight itself also seems exceptionally well-built for the money - Right up there with some "Industrial" models.

Thinking Re: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Hi Skibane,

If you can make a more detailed picture of the reflector (not out of focus !!!)...

for example like this:

Then maybe we can see for ourselves what great reflector-quality you have...

regards,

Ra.

The photos were Carbine15's, but here's one of mine:

Flashaholic

An excellent host for the SMJLED is the Energizer 2-AA Princess or Cinderella flashlight! Not only does this light have an internal metal ring around the PR socket that acts as a heatsink for an LED retrofit, but the reflector has pink jewels around the edges, throwing light out to the sides of the head! The beam has a tight hotspot with an even, wide field. There are also other versions of this light available, such as Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, and Cars, that probably have the same construction.

Thumbs up Re: Suggest SMJLED PR2 hosts?

Yes Skibane,

That's the pic I wanted to see.. Very nice !!!
    The proof of the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life lies in the fact that they didn't contact us yet...
    Maxablaster MB Beamshots 10Watt Mini HID SSC Microblaster!

I just did a dunkability test with my 2 favorite cheap 2D SMJLED PR hosts. The Rayovac Industrial with LED battery meter and a Garrity Tuff Light.
    I used an incan bulb in the Rayovac.

The results:

While the Rayovac did manage to stay lit, it got some water in the head. Looks like it was getting in through the switch. Might be ok in the rain if you aren't in a real good downpour. It was submerged for about 5 minutes.

Garrity, being advertised as waterproof, was dry as a bone. The head floats as advertised too.

I may have to re-think my cheap vehicle light and put the Garrity in that role.
    I just wish there was a traffic cone that would fit the inner circumference of the 2D version like a 35mm film canister fits the 2xAA version.

Lightbulb sMJLED-PR2 bulb

I got a couple of these from TrueBlue's special at $6.66 each.

and had been trying them out in some cheapo 2D and 2AA flashlights.

Last week I was in my local WalMart and came across these real cheapo 2D lights -

The economy Eveready was $1.68 including 2x Super Heavy Duty D batteries and economy Ray-O-Vac was 99cents without batteries.

Sizes -

The Eveready was shorter because of its shallower reflector and there is less hooding of the head.

Heads with sMJLED PR2 installed -

As can be seen the Everready seems to doing a good compromise of facetting the central area to smooth out any rings with then out part mirror finished to maximize the reflected light. Being pretty shallow not only make the light shorter - but it also means the side-spill/corona is pretty wide.
    The Ray-O-Vac is a much deeper polished reflector.

sMJLED PR2 in Eveready vs. Ray-O-Vac

The Eveready side-spill is really wide - it easily over-lapped the Ray-O-Vac beam. Although I like wide side-spills for the level of this light it seems to dissipate the side-spill too much - so that the hotspot is much, much brighter than the rest of the beam. The central facetting does not seem to have been effective in avoiding the central donut hole - there is one on the Ray-O-Vac too - but it's only at closer distances - by 3.5feet they are gone.

These sMJLED PR2 in 2D lights are significantly brighter than any of the MJLEDs or sMJLEDs I have in 2AA MiniMags - they seemed brighter than most 1watt Luxeons I have - they are almost comparable to 3wtt Luxeons......

sMJLED PR2 in Ray-O-Vac 2D vs. Fenix P1 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -

No, it's not quite as bright - but it is close and at least comparable and the throw is possibly better........

It's not a fluke......

sMJLED PR2 in Ray-O-Vac 2D vs. Nuwai Q3 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -

Different beam characteristics - but close/comparable......

I'm impressed.

The sMJLED PR2 in the Eveready is different since the shallower reflector spreads the light out more -

sMJLED PR2 in Eveready 2D vs. Fenix P1 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -

sMJLED PR2 in Eveready 2D vs. Nuwai Q3 (3w 1xCR123A primary) -

The sMJLED PR2 bulbs display the same blue tinted charateristics as my sMJLEDs tested in 2AA MiniMags - the one I had in the Ray-O-Vac has a marginally better tint than the one in the Eveready - but it is really only noticable side-by-side.

Here are the Stairway "Practical" Beamshots -