Can the CPF special Varibrite be moded?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

Does anyone know if the CPF Variable brightness flashlight can be modded? Is it easy to have access to the head of the light for a Luxeon swap?

Thanks!
AlexGT

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody changed out the stock refector?

My beam is terrible. It has rings in the beam.

jefft

Enlightened
ernsanada, looks like you and I have the same reflector issues. I recall reading about how good the beam patterns were with other owners. Definitely not my case. It's otherwise a great light.

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
I have the varibrite type of light that waion has sold some months ago. I think it more or less the same light as the "cpf" one.

I must admit that the beam could be nicer. It has a good throw but some ring artifacts too. I´m wondering about the position of the reflector. Seen through the lens it looks like the reflector doesn´t cover the whole acrylic dome of the lux and there is a 1-2mm space to the black casing. Other reflectors like the IMS series are sitting directly on the lux casing. Maybe I should replace it with a IMS27 (should fit IIRC, maybe a bit short) or try to "screw" the reflector a bit more down, but I guess this would require a spacer/o-ring between the lens and the reflector too.

I´m waiting for a UW0J from Fred to arrive ... for replacing the stock TX0K. One problem will be the removal of the old star, because it´s glued ... with some thermal adhesive that won´t respond to heat. Mechanical force is obviously required :D ...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very easy to open the light to get to the reflector. The bezel screws off and the reflector is held in place by a retaining ring that you unscrew using needle nosed pliers.
The IMS 27 fits, but it needs an extra O-ring to sit firmly. It does give better beam, but a textured reflector would be better.
I put a turned down semi-textured reflector in mine and the beam is perfect.
The McR-27L might fit perfectly and be the best possible option, but measure your light before ordering it. Measurements of that reflector can be found on the SandwichShoppe I think..

Switching stars can be very easy or a bit tricky depending on how hard it is glued in your light. If it is hard to remove you might not be able to get the old one out in one piece, I killed my old star getting it out. Once the old star is out clean of any residue of glue on the heatsink in the light, put some thermal paste on the heatsink, put your new star in and solder the wires on.

One important note: this light is voltage regulated so any new star should have the same (or lower) Vf rating as the one you take out. In your case that means a K or J binned star.

Sverre

FirstDsent

Enlightened
The "Golston" part-stippled reflector may work very well. It is longer than the IMS27.
I have a limited supply of these, and am looking for all applications. I will offer a no-risk trial to someone who is willing to try it and post the results. Please post here and PM me.
  • The IMS27 is plastic. It is approx. .692" tall (to top of emitter) with an outer diameter of 1.094. It has legs that sit on the star board.
  • The Golston is plastic. It is 816" tall (to the top of the emitter) with an outer diameter of 1.16" just under the head-flange. It has a hole that can fit over the whole emitter, but is meant to be flush with the top edge. This permitsadjustment of focal point, and slight adjustment from spot to flood. Nevertheless, the flood sucks, and is artificty. I keep mine narrow.
  • The McR27L is aluminum. It is 1.072" tall and 1.080" diameter. It sits on top of the emitter. It is too long for most swap-out applications.
  • The McR27 is aluminum. It is 603" tall, and 1.092" diameter. It sits on top of the emitter. It is too short for most swap-out applications.
The IMS and McRxx reflectors are meant to be squeezed between the window and the emitter/board. They have no flange. The Golston is meant ot be held by a flange squeezed between the head and window inside the bezel just like a MagLite. The flange can be sanded off, but some kind of support will have to be fashioned to hold the reflector at the proper hight over the star.

The innermost 1/3 of the Golston part-stippled reflector is stippled and produces a very tight smooth hotspot with no rings in the Golston lights. There is a smooth transition from spot to flood, but not much of a corona. It is definitely a throwy reflector, and is much better than the smooth Golston reflector.

I will offer a no-risk trial to someone who is willing to try it and post the results. Please post here and PM me.

Bernie

Last edited:

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
I don't have my VB-16 to hand (it lives at work), so I can't make any measurements right now - but it does sound like the Golston reflector would be worth a try. Maybe the original retaining ring in the VB-16 could be used to position it?

I'd be happy to try one of these reflectors out and let you know how I get on if you don't mind the fact that I'm in the UK.

Don

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
OK, I've now done a bit of measuring (not as precise as yours, I can't remember where my micrometer caliper gauge went...).
The VB-16 reflector is some 18mm (0.709") long, it is flanged at the top - diameter 26.5mm (1.043"). It sits on the lens, which is in turn on a washer under a lip on the bezel and the actual aperture that the light leaves through is only 24mm (0.945"). The internal diameter of the bezel is 29mm (1.142") less threading, call it 28mm (1.102").

Given that the original reflector sits a bit above the base of the emitter I think that the Golston reflector could be fitted with a bit of trimming (taking off the flange for starters).

Don