A2 problem: something's not connecting

dyyys1

Enlightened
I just got my first "high-end" flashlight today. It's a surefire A2. Unfortunately, it's not working right. It didn't do this at first, but now the LED's fade in and out. The incandescent has worked fine thus far. The LED's will suddenly turn off, but sometimes if I wiggle the tailcap they come back on. They flicker, too. I think something in the tailcap is not connecting the way it should. How can I disassemble it to try to fix it? I have to go, but I will post more info later.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Weird.

Do the LED's turn on when you tighten the tailcap? Or are you just pressing and holding the button with your finger?
Does the lamp turn on when you tighten some more?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to clean all contacts thoroughly (including the "lip" of the batt tube).

dyyys1

Enlightened
It seems to be independant of how far the tail cap is screwed in. If the LED's are not turning on, I can usually turn the tailcap until the incan turns on w/o any response from the LED's.

greenLED

Flashaholic
if its one of the early models
there were problems with the tailcap
Forgot about that. If it's the same problem I'm recalling, the clip is not inserted deep enough. It's protruding a fraction of an inch, but it prevented the light from working properly somehow. Try tapping it to sit it further in. Maybe that'll work.

carrot

Flashaholic
Just in case you're not sure what greenLED's referring to-- take off the bezel and put the bezel and lamp assembly in the same place, and try to push the pocket clip in as far as it goes to make sure it's seated properly.

There's really not that much what could go wrong with the LED operation, but perhaps the circuitry on the LED ring inside the bezel is somehow not quite right.

dyyys1

Enlightened
Well, I accidentally dropped the A2 in the kitchen earlier while carrying some stuff. I'd just been messing with it and the tailcap was set to the "LED on" position but the light was not working. When it hit the tile the LED's came on immediately and have worked fine since. I'm worried that the problem will return, but whatever was broken has apparently been knocked back into place. This seems in keeping with the theory about the clip causing the problem. I'll still bang on the clip a little to make sure it is in place. I also think I'll see if Surefire will send me another tailcap since I don't think this one can be trusted.

Edit: The LED's are still blinking on and off from time to time, although now it does not happen very often and they don't stay off. However, it still bother's me that I spent that much money on a light and it doesn't work perfectly.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Fade in and out or flicker? If they fade in and out, I'm stymied, but if they flicker, I'd suggest taking a careful look at the tailcap. Mine flickers the LEDs when the contacts are dirty (on both the tail-end of the light and on the leaf-springs inside the tailcap) until the tailcap is screwed on tighter.

Those DeOxit (and ProGold) pens at RadioShack on clearance for $4 each (usually $20-ish?) might solve your problem, but no guarantees.

greenLED

Flashaholic
My money is still on:
1. dirty contacts somewhere
2. the issue with the clip not properly seated

...fresh batts?

I'd be calling SF - but they're line will be "send it in" and you're stuck without a light for God knows how long (at least that's how U2 returns go).

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is possible one or more of the screws holding the LED ring down in the bezel are loose. Unscrew the bezel and remove the lamp. Use a small phillips screwdriver to see if all the screws are snug (don't over-tighten, it's only aluminum).

a2_020.jpg

The other possibility is what others have said, that it is a problem with the tailcap. There are three small metal tabs toward the bottom of the tailcap that make contact with body of the A2, if these are bent all the way down or dirty, that might also explain the intermittent contact of the LEDs. Sometimes one of the tabs can break off and be an extra piece of metal in there causing other problems. Check these things out, if it seems to be something else, give SF a call and they'll take care of you. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's very useful pic, leukos.

While you're at it, bend those metal tabs in the head upwards a bit (not too much, or they'll break!).

dyyys1

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. One time after taking off and then re-attaching the head, the LED's were blinking. I started messing with it and tightened the head just a little more, and the blinking stopped. I don't know if the entire time I had been screwing the head on too loosely, but now the LED's have stopped blinking and everything is working beautifully. I'll remember the ideas you have given, though, as they might just be the fix for some future problem.