BIN of K2

L

LITEmania

Think it is better to share information of BIN found from your K2s.

I bought some PW14-T00. BIN : TWAN :shrug:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
LXK2-PW14-T00
i thought thats what T in PW14-T00 stands for?
in other words if it's a T*** bin it comes from PW14-T00, if it's a U*** bin
it comes from PW14-U00, and so on... but I could be wrong..

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm missing something here. The data sheet I have shows R, S, U and V bin.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
LITEmania said:
check datasheet released 2006 May. It includes T00.

Gotcha. Looks like they added to the lower end of the scale :shrug: Pity they didn't do it at the other end. It's starting to look like there's very little benefit to the K2's except when you want to generate more heat than light :(

L

LITEmania

CM said:
......It's starting to look like there's very little benefit to the K2's except when you want to generate more heat than light :(

what you said. :)

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be publishing in-depth information about some U-bin K2s when I receive them in the next week or so. This will include I/V curves (Vf data), brightness curves, temperature/brightness, beam profiles, and a long-term Vf drop test.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really confused as to why the high Vf. What did the change that made it so high?

Typical vf for a K2 according to the data sheets is 3.42 volts. What we are seeing as typical, is no where near 3.42 volts!!! Data sheet says max 4.32, yeah right! Typical is more like 4.32!!! hah.

Vf aside, has anyone powered both a K2 T bin and a LuxIII T bin at 700ma and seen which is brighter? Should be the LuxIII since the K2 T bin is rated at 1000ma...

But maybe they are better than we think? Has anyone done a test with a light box or light meter celing bounce?

EDIT:
evan: I look forward to it!!!
nemul: perhaps in 2.5 years?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isaac,

The physical structure of the luxeon has changed. All InGaN luxeons before used a grille pattern for the current spreading contacts on the top of the die. The K2 uses a dot pattern, it appears that the top contact comes up through the die from the bottom. This would probably block less light, but may not be as effective as the grille pattern, resulting in a higher Vf and higher dynamic resistance (I/V curve is steeper). The material/process change that allows teh LED to operate up to 185C Tj also may have an effect on the Vf.

I'm really interested in how much of a Vf drop will be seen. Lumileds is now publicly acknowledging the phenomenon by mentioning it in the K2 datasheet (though, implying that it only happens after reflow soldering). I wonder how pronounced it will be.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh thanks I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see a colored K2 without the grill!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here ya go:

Regular Lux III:

diecomp1.jpg

K2:

diecomp2.jpg

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Nice pictures, but am I right when I'm guessing that the 2 LEDs are different colours... So my question no. 1 is;
Are all the K2 LEDs (in all the colours) using the same "dot" technique?

Question no. 2 is;
Are the yellow "stuff" on the K2 picture phosphor?

I'm looking forward to some smart answers...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) No reason that they wouldn't (except for the red/orange/amber colors, since they are a totally different materials/structure). All blue/green/white luxeon I/III/V use the same physical structure and current spreading construction, so there's no reason why the blue/green/white K2s wouldn't all use the same dot-pattern.

2) No, it is because the lighting was incandescent and the white balance on my camera was either set to auto or daylight (giving it a yellow cast). Phosphor over an LED die completely covers it and masks any details of the surface. In fact, a K2 die and Lux III die will appear much more similar than the two above do. In the above picture, if it were a white K2, die (the square part in the middle) would be a slightly larger yellow square, similar to this:

1wdie.jpg

This is a Lux I high-dome die. If you look closely, you can barely make out the shadow of the grille pattern. You might be able to see hints of the dot pattern on a white K2, but it won't be obvious, and the two will appear very similar.

You will see an obvious difference in that the K2 package is square, not round; has two power leads on each side instead of one, and has a hexagonal heat sink slug, instead of a round one (as viewed from above).

The red/orange/amber K2 dies appear unchanged vs. their Lux-I counterparts.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canon Powershot G3, +1, +2, +4 macro lenses, and a reversed 55MM SLR lens (all together). Gives me about a 5-7mm FOV. Though, the depth-of-field is about 0.1 mm, so focusing is tricky.