rechargable CR123's

netofficer3710

Newly Enlightened
I have a brinkmann maxfire LX and I have this light on it's way http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=264413

I heard somewhere that rechargable cr123's are actualy slightly over 3 volts
so would it be ok to use rechargables in these lights or will it blow my bulbs

I use rechargable batterys in everything else and at a minimum of 2 bucks a piece for surefire batteries I would like to use rechargable 123's if possible

igabo

Enlightened
At 2 X 4.2 volts, you're bulb will "instaflash". You should get a 9 volt lamp for use with Rechargeable CR123's (AKA R123).

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rechargable CR123's YES

:mad: For rechargeable CR123a there are 3.0 v rechargeable you just have to look for them Powerizer has them RCR123A. I bought a Xenon flashlight, rech. batts, pouch, charger for 35 bucks on Ebay(90 Lumens). If your still looking try an Academy, here in Texas, they got a rechargeble Brinkman with a 3AA pack for 25 bucks. :sold:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note about the 3.0V rechargeables. They probably won't work reliably as they tend to cut off around 1.2-1.3A which is how much current the bulbs for most of the CR123 lights draw including the Brinkmann. In order to get the lamp to illuminate, you'll probably have to flash the light several times to get the bulb going (often referred to as "double taps" around here.) In experimenting with some of these rechargeables, the closest I got to reliable functioning was with batteries fresh off the charger with a Streamlight TL-2, and that was only for a very short period of usage before it too starting drawing more current than the batteries could provide reliably. All of my 3.0V RCR123 batteries have been consigned to use with LED powered lights that require much less current, and they do work fine there.

frankbyerswat

Newly Enlightened
you can check this out:

SF123A = 3.19V
panasonic 123A=3.21
Lisun Lid 123a=3.3 very great rechargeable 123A

Brand Name:
  • Lisun
Country of Origin:
  • China (mainland)
Key Specifications/Special Features:
  • High energy density
  • Minimal self discharge, fewer than 10% per month
  • No memory effect
  • Wide working temperature range: 20 - 60 deg. C
Main Export Markets:
  • Eastern Europe
  • North America
  • Central/South America
  • Asia
  • Western Europe
  • Australasia
[font=新宋体]http://www.lisun.com[/font]
We flashlight users of sf in China have proved that it's wonderful 123A.

Last edited:

frankbyerswat

Newly Enlightened
But anyway rechargeable 123a doesn't fit constantly >1.5A.

So I recommend use "E outdoors series" ,"U2 below 5 set" with this kind of 123A.
If you use "M series ","6P"(all>1.2A) flashlight,Do not use rechargeable 123A

batterystation

Enlightened
The trouble we experienced with 3V RCR123A batteries was as stated at the beginning of the thread. The battery is really 3.6V (4.2 off charger) and is then regulated. Given the size of the regulator, it will not handle much current. There is just not enough space for head dissipation etc. so the regulator tends to open or pop or fry completely leaving you with a 3.6V battery and low capacity. That regulator takes up space and therefore eats up battery space or capacity. This was the reason we settled on a protected but not regulated ion. This protects the battery and it protects you too.