will LiON or NiMH batteries prevent dimming?

kinesis

Banned
hi, i just got a <20mW green laser pointer and when I first start it for the first second it is super bright with a powerful visable beam then it dims out(max power->avg power), is this because my batteries are weak? if i use LiON or rechargable batteries will the beam stay high power?

bootleg2go

Enlightened
I'm not sure about the 20mW units, but the higher power +200mW lasers will last much longer and output a higher power level with NiMH cells than with alkaline. The reason is that alkaline cells cannot handle a heavy load due to their higher internal resistance and chemistry. As soon as a heavy load is applied, their voltage drops like a rock...Not so with the NiMH cells.

Jack

kinesis

Banned
crap i bought LION and now its bright as ever!!! but should have spent the $ on recharagable... would have been a better deal

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Lithium-Ion are really good to as long as the current is not too high. They'll work really good in a 20mW pointer. I think if you look around here in the dealer and buy/sell forums you'll find really good deals on batteries. Much cheaper and just as good or better than what you'll find at the local store.

Jack