Is this normal for Nuwai TM-301X-5 -beamshots-

x2x3x2

Banned
I just got a Nuwai TM-301X-5, output seems abit weak compared to Streamlight 3C (Lux 1W), Fenix P1 (Lux 3W)and even L2P (Lux 1W).

I was wondering if this is just a normal characteristic for Lux V flood beams or is my light faulty?
I mean considering that a Lux V is an array of 4x Lux 1W and Lux 3W is a higher rated 1W, i was expecting something more, maybe like 4x output of my L2P maybe?

Below are come beamshots at 1m against a Streamlight 3C Lux I. Bottom shot under exposed abit average to the SL 3C.

3C5.jpg

3C52.jpg

Finally ive got a few comments about the fit and finishing. It's pretty rough, and not precise at quite a few parts of the body.
My lense even has 2 noticeably large pieces of sealant stuck on the inner side of the lense (top right). On the bright side at least they dont effect output and weren't on the emmiter itself.

5.jpg

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
it seems plausible from quickbeam's numbers with 4000 'light box units' and only 523 lux for the nuwai, compared to 2600/3730 for the SL PP Lux 3C. he also mentions that it's a serious room flooder but a lousy thrower. how's the sidespill on the nuwai? you might have to overexpose your shots to show the sidespill rather than underexpose to dim the PP Lux's hotspot. of course just a suggestion and i don't know whether you did get a dud or something else like that.

x2x3x2

Banned
Yah, just added an over exposed shot. Also at 1m. Maybe someone who has the Nuwai can give some feedback?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is normal. All flood. No hot spot. But it is evenly bright from end to end. Just like the Surefire L4. Lights up an area (dark room, truck/car interior) very well. I'm happy with it. If you want an intense hot spot go with the Nuwai X-3: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htmThe X-3 is very bright for a 2AA.

aceo07

Enlightened
The SL 3C has a small bright hotspot.

Have you tried shining the lights onto the ceiling and testing it that way? That might be easier than looking at the beams themselves.

mdocod

Flashaholic
like Somy was saying- the 301X-V is a major underperformer for a luxV based on quickbeams output numbers.... When I bought my Nuwai LuxV light... I went for the one that tested bright.... I bought the ALX-253L- it's a 3 cell version but tests right up there with the Surefire LuxVs in output.. And it definetally has more overall output than my other LED lights...(I lost lux lottery though, and it's GREEN in output.. still darned bright though)

the luxIII version of this Nuwai (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_alx-352_alx-032.htm) scored higher output than the 301X-V... there are many LuxIII lights that score over 40 in overall output... (even the little Dorcy luxIII powered by 3xAAA)... LEDBeam scored 50 as I recall...

It is still probably a great little light... but if you want a more impressive level of LED power... a Surefire LuxV- or one of the better performing Nuwai's would fit the bill...
here's a bunch of beamshots... including my Nuwai... to give ya an idea..
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119031

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strangely enough I was comparing my Nuwai X-5 to my Fenix P1 last night. I was running both on rechargeable 123s. The P1 certainly had a brighter hot spot at close range but at a distance the Nuwai seemed to throw just as far but with a LOT of flood. I didn't try them with regular 123s but from what I remember the X-5 is quite bit brighter with rechargeables in it and the P1 only a bit brighter so I guess on regular cells the P1 may seem brighter at close range.
The Nuwai I received seems to be finished quite well. Not even dust under the lens.