CDplayer to laserpointer?

biohazard

Newly Enlightened
Ok im a total noob but my question is basicly can a pc cdrom laser be turned into a laser pointer. i've tried searching the net and these forums, but could somebody please point me to a schematic diagram if this is at all posible.

Some info:
The cdrom is intact and working at last try
It is a cheap model with no brand name
It is a reader only

Thanks in advance

comozo

Enlightened
I'm not going to ask you why you want to do this because that's not the question.
Just think for a moment [pause] how different the inner workings are configured. Ok, now that you thought about it you'll see that it could be done with a lot of effort and time but is it practical.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Most laser diodes in CD-ROMs emit at a wavelength of 780nm; this would appear as a *VERY DIM*, deep, dull cherry red color to the human eye; as it is right on the upper range of human visual perception. It would make a rather unimpressive laser pointer. Not to say it cannot be done, but the end results would not be very visually spectacular.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Craig is right. If it's a CD-ROM unit, then it's got a 780nm laser which is considered an infrared unit. If it's a DVD-ROM, then it probably has a 650nm visible red laser, but only running at a milliwatt or so. And the lens that it comes with is focused to a point that's only a millimeter or two away, meaning that you'd have to buy a replacement collimating lens for it anyway. You['re much better off buying a cheapo $5.00 pointer at a discount store.

In the meantime, don't lose your curiosity about that 780nm laser. If the CD-ROM ever dies, you could extract it, fit a different lens on it, and use it for something like an invisible IR fence.

biohazard

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys really i was only wanting to know if it could be done but as said it would be unimpressive. Thanks for the links anyways.

ted_park

Newly Enlightened
For various projects, I've used IR lasers. The assembly in most CD players is not really good for making a pointer. In addition, the electronics to drive the laser is tightly integrated with the rest of the electronics, so it would be difficult to isolate it - probably it would be better to just get another driver.

For my project, I spent $15.00 on a driver board, $60.00 for the collimating optics. I think the diode was 5 bucks or so. The spot from the 5mw, 785 nm laser was just visible to the eye, but was highly visible to IR sensitive systems.