SPY005 - the license to style

Kiessling

Flashaholic
SPY005 - the license to style

The SPY005 is data's incredible light that just hit CPF. It is this light:

SPY3.jpg

Construction

The SPY is made of hard anodized aluminium in either NAT or black with chromed bezel and switch knob. It is a 2xCR123 light that runs a T-binned LuxIII via a new custom DB converter by dat2zip that offers 6 regulated levels of light. Secret agent stuff in and out.
And it is small ... really small:

SPY9.jpg

The machining is incredibly perfect with unsurpassed attention to detail and an extraordinary new body shape. Some shots about the perfection in detail:

SPY6.jpg

The lanyard attachment, tailcap release button and the serial number ... which is surpassed in finesse and detail only by ...

SPY7.jpg

... the (machined!) logo on the tailcap. Mine is logo choice #1 of three possibilities.

The two batteries have their own recesses each and are secured with springs in the tailcap. They will not rattle in normal use at all.
The tailcap can be released by pressing the above-shown button with a sharp object ... and the release mechanism itself is a work of art that is unrivaled at the moment.

The light uses a McR-18 reflector by McGizmo and a domed window and is comletely o-ring sealed and should withstand harsh weather and the occasional dunking without any problems.

Did I say the light is small?
As a consequence ... it isn't as tough and thick-walled as for example the latest McGizmo lights, and might suffer more from falls and rough circumstances. It isn't fragile or flimsy at all ... it just is not built for battle. Double zero agents always kill well-dressed in perfectly civilized environments like 5-star hotels and the like ...

Ergonomics

Turn the knob from the off-position and rotate it with 6 clicks from lowest to highest brightness setting. It is a KISS (keep it super simple) light. No fuzz and wizardry in the interface ... it just works like any dimmer knob. And you get tactile and audible feedback upon level change.
The knob offers very good grip in all positions without being abrasive ... just like the rest of the light. No knurling to hurt your fine garments that you will wear with this light.
One thing bothers me though ... the knob turns in the "wrong" direction ... meaning ... I always end up dimming it when I want it brighter and vice versa ... :rant:
Must be because Mr. Bond is British ... they also drive on the left side ... :sick2:

Battery change is no problem, provided you have something to push the small and recessed release pin for the tailcap mechanism. Polarity is indicated on the driver board, and the manual sais the light is polarity protected. When empty ... turning the knob might result in the switch disengaging and could require re-aligning the knob, which can be done relatively easily by the user (according to the manual; I did not attempt this ...). This point is the only real drawback of the design IMHO.

Due to the small size and forward-facing switch the light will fit almost anywhere without a problem and can be used one-handed with different grip-techniques ... and it won't require you to change grip to change brightness and / or to turn it on and off. Wonderful and innovative. It does not offer a momentary mode and access to full blast though, although turning the knob to maximum setting is pretty fast ... but a tactical whip-it-out-and-blast-in-the-face-light it is not.

Performance

The beam is a very good compromise between throw and spill ... it offers reasonable coverage for medium distances on high level and great area illumination in the near field ... and the lowest setting is really good when it is totally dark indoors.
Mine is the girlie-version with a max. current of 600mA to the LED ... the real men took 1000mA highest setting which is for intermittent operation only though.
IMHO the 600mA setting is plenty enough for anything you might encounter with this light. And the runtime will be impressive on 2xCR123 for this light ... I can't do runtimes unfortunately, but a guesstimate by experience indicates more than 2 hours on highest setting :eek:oo: !

Heat isn't an issue for the girlie-version ... but as explained above, the 1000mA guys should be careful on highest setting.

Knowing the DB driver of other iterations I expect pretty flat regulation with this light. Current regulated.

In the end ...

... the SPY005 is a perfefctly stylish and very well-made custom light with unlimited attention to detail ... with some unique traits and concepts unseen before. It is a light that is well suited for any task one might encounter under normal circumstances; it is a versatile light.
It is also quite appealing visually and can be your companion in any situation without looking "toolish" or tactical at all. I can imagine that light on my person during my wedding or in the hands of Mr. Bond himself without looking out of place. The only attention this light will draw is looks of awe and acknowledgement of quality and style.
It is not built like a super tough tank or warship and should not be taken out into battle, but should be placed in the suitcase of a secret service agent or any other flashaholic.

The only negative point is that the switch mechanism can disengage when used without batteries. And that the 1000mA setting might damage the light when used continiously, making it less KISS. But after all ... that shall be the problem of those pocket-rocket guys ... :nana:

The SPY005 ... a light Mr. Bond would be proud to own, but unfortunately he can't since they're all sold. Should you as a lesser agent have a chance to own one ... don't hesitate ...

SPY4.jpg

To all those involved ... :bow:

And a special thanx to data ... who not only made this happen, but who also made it a fun and interesting project ... giving us updates, pictures and even videos ... videos well worth watching. This was a fun ride, and it was perfectly executed untill the end. Thank you !!! :thumbsup:

bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
Nice review, Bernie! The Spy is a beautiful and elegant light indeed. I loved the little gem.
Kiessling said:
It does not offer a momentary mode and access to full blast though, although turning the knob to maximum setting is pretty fast ... but a tactical whip-it-out-and-blast-in-the-face-light it is not.
Data showed us his "flick-on" technique at Shot Show. It's hard to explain by writing, but you put your thumb on the dial and flick it, just like you would if lighting a butane lighter. Voilà! Instant light (on high!). :grin2:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Review!

When I got on the list for this light, was not particularly enamored of looks, but "Data"'s design seemed interesting.

After receiving, am extremely enamored..........this "little" light is a real gem.

Bernie's review, well stated the lights strengths and capabilities. Pratically, SPY005 is just really "neat", extremely well made, very practical and fun to use, It is easily the most unique light that I have ever used.

This may well be, the "perfect" EDC :goodjob: "Data"

jeffb

Sturluson

Enlightened
Nice review, Bernie - and superb photos. You've captured the essence of the light as well as words and images can.

:goodjob:

It's one of those objects, though, that has to be held and used in order to truly understand, like a Walker Colt or a Mont Blanc pen.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, a truly exceptional custom creation, completely different than what we know.

And the tooling marks are different, too, they give the light an almost "computer rendered" look :cool:

I guess those will fetch some nice $$ on B/S/T should one show up ... :D

bernie

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Bernie :rock: :bow: :twothumbs :thumbsup: for your review !!! If I spoke English better , I would have written the same things :)

Nice macro shot too !!

And, cheers again to DATA... a wonderful flashlight, I am sure it'll be the one of the year !!!

And ooOps.. only SPy007 have the license to kill ;) But this Spy005 is a killer ;)

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool light...

i think if it was a CR2/rcr2 based light i'd be really interested... too bad it can't be ran @ 1000ma...

but cool light none-the-less

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
As always, Bernie, an excellent, informative and entertaining review. I can't wait to get mine.

EDIT: awesome pics, by the way!

:thumbsup: WP

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernie,
What they all said! :thumbsup:

In Data's thread, I commented on the SPY005 setting a bench mark. That is probably not a good or realistic comment to make. A bench mark implies that others would follow. I don't really see this happening. The SPY005 is more like one of the concept cars or another example of what can be done but not likely to be done. The SPY005 is an exhibition of current technologies. They are merged and implimented in a device that is equal parts; functional art, tool and statement of the art itself. I call it a tool because it serves a purpose and provides a function with no hesitation or shortcomings. However, looking at the SPY005, I can't help but think of it more as an instrument than a mere tool. This light is a precision instrument, IMHO. If I didn't know better and the Spy logo were replaced with Leica for example, I would consider it legitimate and would not be surprised or in disagreement with a price tag on the light well in excess of what Data has sold these to us for!!

With readily available CAD software, many of us could design something similar on the surface to the SPY005. However, this light is not a 3D rendering of concept but working example of concept where the precision and mating of components has been accomplished. Only a master of the art could pull this off and such masters are far and few between!!! Data is one of those rare breed and it was a real boon for him to share his skills with us as he has done so with the SPY005!!! Thanks bud!! :bow:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks! Couldn't seem to find it. Please don't get the wrong idea I didn't know how to use it.....DUH!!!!!

Karl

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx guys ! :eek:

Don ... should I ever have to write a love-letter in English ... I'd want you to write it for me. You are more than an artist with words and thoughts.

bernie

P.S.: another very nice aspect of this light is that it is also a cooperation of several CPF modders and creators ... and represents CPF in a fashion I really like! :)

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a little piece to add... I did a quick measure of the six levels of my 1000mA version and did the ol' "lowest common denominator" thing to get a feel for how they compare: 1 > 5 > 12 > 26 > 43 > ~70. The numbers pretty much follow what my eyes tell me in that level 1 is basically a nightlight in strange places and can be used for nighttime excursions, 2-5 are pretty much visually even and 6 is that extra oopmh you get when you press the pedal down harder.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Nope...all gone. Though I think right now there's one available on B/S/T.

I won't bother duplicating Bernie's or Don's specificity on the SPY005, but in my eyes there are five features of this light that put it on a higher plane.

1) The side-by-side 2x123 configuration. By placing two short, yet powerful batteries in this way, Dave's created a pocketable, powerful, and long-running light that's extremely comfortable to hold, too. I don't know of any other light with this specific build quality to it.

2) The precision of the machining. The aerodynamic lines and tight construction give the light a solidity that belies its small size.

3) The PERFECTLY balanced light levels and practical beam profile. I'm speaking for my 600mA unit here. The low is ideal for pitch dark stealth-lighting situations, and the high is extremely bright, even in ambient light situations outdoors. Every other level in between these is perfectly stepped. The beam profile is hands down gorgeous - white, with a generous and focused hotspot and adequate spill. The SPY won't disappoint if you are a white wall hunter, but where it really shines is outdoors.

4) The modability! I don't think I'll ever take advantage of this feature fully, but Dave's design allows for tinkerers to go at it, and that means that this light may gain new unforseen potential down the road.

5) The simplicity! Once you know the trick of the battery compartment, the SPY005 is all KISS.

On the not so rah-rah side, I agree with Bernie that the switch feels "backward" as far as turn direction goes.

I hope Dave's got lots of spare parts on hand, because the second I drop this thing and ding the bezel I'm going to cry buckets and pray for a fix.