LiPoly charge tolerance the same as Li-on?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed the Creative Zen Micro is using a 650mah Li-Poly batt, and the charger provided outputs 1A.

I believe I've read Li-ons should be charged at 1C max.

Is there something I'm missing?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The charging circuit that regulates charging current on the Zen Micro is in the player, not from the wall-wart. If that player were actually getting a 1A charge, the battery would be charged very quickly rather than takeing the 4+ hours that it takes to charge it. That's usually the case with most of the devices that are made specifically for use with LIon batteries (e.g. MP3 players, cell phones, etc.) The modifications, hacks, and/or adaptations that people make with flashlights would not have that kind of circuitry. As a matter of fact, speaking of flashlights, I believe that the circuitry on Streamlight Strion is also structured in that manner. Additionally the LIon devices will shut off the charger once the battery is fully charged, there's no "float" like you find with NiCD or NiMH chargers, you have the remove the device from the charger and then connect it again to start up another charge cycle.

BTW, it looks like Creative has discontinued using the 680mAh battery and is now using a 830mAh battery (standard equipment on Zen MicroPhoto)

LEDcandle said:
Just noticed the Creative Zen Micro is using a 650mah Li-Poly batt, and the charger provided outputs 1A.

I believe I've read Li-ons should be charged at 1C max.

Is there something I'm missing?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Furthermore, if the manufacturer would have got a beter deal at chargers capable of 1 A than say 750 mA ones, you would end up with a oversized charger.