Surefire KL1-R owners check in here...

grnamin

Enlightened
If you own (future owners welcome :) ) a Surefire KL1-R(eflectorized), please check in here. Share your experiences, thoughts, mod techniques, etc., if you please.

Here's what I have... I've modded 2 so far. The one thing I had difficulty with, besides opening up the bezel :D, was ensuring that the new assembly with reflector and UCL lens was relatively waterproof (using the blow test). I've found that the following configuration works best for me (parts arranged starting from bezel tip):
1) original plastic(?) washer/gasket
2) original domed lens (I don't mind there being a small gap between bezel sections so long as the unit is waterproof)
3) McR20 reflector
4) LED on top of holder/heatsink.

The LED pushes on the reflector. The latter pushes on the domed lens which pushes on the washer/gasket to seal the assembly.

I compared the beams of one KL1 equipped with reflector and domed lens and another that had the UCL lens. I didn't perceive any difference between them.

When you try this mod, be careful not to snap off the driver board wiring. A couple of us have done that already.

Save the visegrips or other pliers as a last resort, not the first choice. I've used 4mm thick cowhide leather to protect the finish and the visegrips still bit through. Ugh!

Heat the bezel using boiling water, a micro torch, or a heat gun and then use strap wrenches or rubber inner tubing strips to grip and twist the bezel sections loose. Some members used collets and a lathe with excellent results.

Modding is fun! It can also be frustrating. If at first you don't succeed, get another KL1. :D

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this idea. I like a beam with a nice hotspot for throw while still providing spill light for close to medium range navigation so I can see what's around me. I always felt SF was missing that since LuxVs just don't have that beam unless you use a monster reflector and their LuxIII lights were always optics. Because of this, I decided to make my own setup using a SL Scorpion LED head and a VG FB1 body (haven't received the body yet). SF-like, has great throw (very tight spot), and great spillbeam.

I've seen this mod done on both the E1e and E1L heads. Is it better to use one vs. the other as a base?
Please post some pics!

I'd love to see Doug at FLR test a KL1-R or E1e-LED to check what the total output is. I think the TIR optics creates more lost light than a reflector and good lens.

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
I love mine. I traded my L2 for one then remoded it. Mine has the stock gasket form an EXe Head, UCL Lens, McR20, then (and I feel this it the trick) 2 o-rings, 3/4idx1/16w right on the reflector, 15/16odx1/8w (I think) between the inside of body and the other o-ring. This way the middle body holds the o-ring, the o-ring holds the reflector against the lens when you put the head together. Nothing sitting on the Luxeon that way! Just right above it!

Here's some good pics and info: http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=1791.0

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigh. Yes, I'm the one who pulled the wire off the driver board. I am so bummed. I'll see if I can re-solder it but I'm thinking I should just get a new head and chalk this one up as a learned experience.

I noticed that aluminum sleeve that goes in there keeps things nice and tight as well....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I posted in the other thread, I was messing with it and the positive wire broke off the board too.

BUT. Since I decided I was going to experiment with it so I hooked it up direct drive - just the positive to the batttery tip and the negative to the body of the light. IT WORKS!!! I tried it with one cell and two cells. Can it be run this way?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang. Wont work off 2 cells. Its' very bright, but gets really hot, really quick, and its too dim off 1 cell. Dangit. Back to square one.

mccavazos

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Dang. Wont work off 2 cells. Its' very bright, but gets really hot, really quick, and its too dim off 1 cell. Dangit. Back to square one.

Maybe try one R123? People have been doing DD Q-III's like this for some time. Anyway, good luck!

Chris

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I have been looking for a KL1 for some time. I cant wate to do this mod after I finley get one... By the way I have a post going it WTT section looking for a KL1 hed.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I always liked my KL1 with TIR and thought it would be even better if the current was upped. I sent it off to CM and he brought the bias up, and now I even like it better. I have thought about experimenting with a McR20, though I do like all of the lumens in that nice square.

Bill

SRacer2000

Newly Enlightened
That's funny because I traded a 4th gen for a 1st gen cuz I hated that dang square! To each there own!

Longbow

Enlightened
I too like the square, and I like the throw and brightness the optic provides while using little power (long battery life).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
grnamin: Where do you put the o-ring that comes with the UCL? I can't remember how this thing goes back together?

Also there is a "flat" o-ring that was in there that I don't know where it came from...

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did this mod a couple of days ago using a 20 mm IMS reflector. The throw is as good as the original, but with a much more useful beam. I now have a McR-20 reflector on the way.

I got the bezel open using 2 Channellock pliers, with the rubber straps from a strap wrench protecting the finish.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine! I also keep a spare un-modded KL1 for other tasks. I used my KL1-R yesterday changing out an electrical panel during a service change, and it gave nice light, decent flood and the run time is what makes this thing so great. The KL4 heads are nice but they get SOO hot, so you get about 70% of the output of the KL4 and the runtime of the KL1. Its a fantastic mod, and i almost sold mine, untill i relized how fantastic it is. I wont ever try to do that again because its fantastic. Anyway, i really suggest this mod, dont get rid of the KL1 because you dont like the beam (which has its own uses), MOD IT! Beam shots for those who dont want to see the video:
KL1shootout.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

SUREFIRE: MAKE THIS !!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit I'm torn between the reflector and TIR. I've gone back and forth so many times now I think I can do this in the dark. The TIR doesn't seem as "bright" (it puts almost all the photons in a narrow beam) but I can pick stuff out with it farther than using smooth reflector. It's almost like getting the throw of a 2D MAG LED light in an E2e package. However, there are times when I need sidespill. Sigh.... Well I've been on the TIR optic the last week and I think I'll leave it there. I have other reflectorized (is that a word :shrug:) lights and I'll use those for sidespill. No need to duplicate *yet* another light that I have.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
nakahoshi said:
I love mine! I also keep a spare un-modded KL1 for other tasks. I used my KL1-R yesterday changing out an electrical panel during a service change, and it gave nice light, decent flood and the run time is what makes this thing so great. The KL4 heads are nice but they get SOO hot, so you get about 70% of the output of the KL4 and the runtime of the KL1. Its a fantastic mod, and i almost sold mine, untill i relized how fantastic it is. I wont ever try to do that again because its fantastic. Anyway, i really suggest this mod, dont get rid of the KL1 because you dont like the beam (which has its own uses), MOD IT! Beam shots for those who dont want to see the video:
KL1shootout.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

SUREFIRE: MAKE THIS !!

bobby, glad you decided to keep it :)