Lasers used on Iraqi drivers who won’t stop

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't try this at home:

Military says 'optical incapacitation' aims to prevent checkpoint deaths. Manufacturer says effects will probably wear off if the soldiers use it carefully.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12854973/

Chinese take on it:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=20&art_id=19114&sid=8027824&con_type=1

Red Cross comments on international regulations concerning blinding weapons. Looks like "Dazzlers" are allowed:

http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/57jn4y?opendocument

Manufacturers homepage. They have a variety of devices, no listed prices, and I doubt they sell to the public:

http://www.bemeyers.com/

Hmm, the Mods seem to be OK with this, guess I'll expand my post a little:

I've got to wonder if we did the right thing by introducing a new weapon to this area...

The street finds its own use for technology. I have to wonder what will be the Iraqi response to this. If I were in the Resistance in Iraq, what would I do? I expect the first thing would be to order up a few gross of devices comparable to these from China.

You'd want to emplace ten or twenty or fifty persons armed with these around a spot you'd picked and prepared at your leisure. Then you'd experiment with how well a Blackhawk driver or C-130 pilot can fly with twenty dazzlers pointing into their cockpit. A nice thing about these dazzlers is that you can give them to people who are not qualified for combat, post them back out of rifle range, and let them provide support while your troops go in to do their job.

I've got to wonder if we did the right thing by introducing a new weapon to this area. Now that we've done it, we can hardly complain if they do it, right?

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I thought there was some clause in the Geneva Convention that made lasers intentionally manufactured & deployed to dazzle or blind people a rather severe no-no. :confused:

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think killing people should be a no no! that should be outlawed in the geneva convention!

if i had a choice i'd rather be dazzled than dead!

abeepak1

Newly Enlightened
Charlie Fox said:

:whistle: +2
icon4.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
abeepak1 said:

=3?

:D

Craig, there is a clause in the geneva convention against blinding weapons I think, but these aren't supposed to blind you permanently, just temporarily to get you to stop. there have been too many episodes of stupid, but otherwise not terrorist people, trying to push through a checkpoint and ignoring the big guys with the MR16's and getting themselves and their passengers killed!

Like any non-lethal weapon, it should be called "less-lethal when used properly" as I'm sure that if you held a guy down and shined it in their eyes you could do a lot more damage. But that would undoubtedly get the soldier in question a court marshal.

Last edited:

recalled

Newly Enlightened
senecaripple said:
i think killing people should be a no no! that should be outlawed in the geneva convention!

if i had a choice i'd rather be dazzled than dead!

Sure, I suppose that killing people can be considered a bad thing overall. But those that would offer such a condition of themselves (and never kill someone) would surely be penalized by those that would not. I have met many that would never restrict themselves like this, and, in fact, revel in killing infidels.

Incidentally, I am not sure if the Geneva accords prohibit sawing someone's head off and then broadcasting it. Maybe one of them? Heck, if someone were willing to do this to me, I would certainly be willing to kill them, with or without the use of a dazzling device, military- or law enforcement-grade, laser or incandescent, or LED, or whatever. After all, isn't the Gladius strobe technically a dazzler (just not a LASER)?

- recalled

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Gentlemen ... please don't make this a political thread. For such controversal political discussions we have created the Underground.
Thank you :)
bernhard