Recommend a Laser?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Sorry, but I am a little overwhelmed about the various kinds of lasers available. I was hoping you guys could recommend me a laser.

Here is what I am after:
- commonly available batteries
- roughly the size of a pen or smaller
- durable and reliable
- very bright
- any color but red

My budget for this is around $100. I will be using it as a pointer out to a couple of hundred yards or so at night, and also for giving presentations and pointing out objects in industrial buildings in good lighting.

Thanks.

Scott

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
Definitely abeland1 (atlasnova)

Try www.atlasnova.com

He only sells to users over 18, and is very reliable. You can even call him and work out what you're looking for and he'll be able to hook you up with a nice green pointer 5mW-15mW usually. I'd just stay away from ebay.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
I too would recommend Arnold at atlasnova.com. He checks the power of each laser before he sells, so you know what you are getting. I bought a one from his that is just under 40mW for $107 shipped. Just mention the CPF special.....

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see it now -- I am explaining a water system during a public meeting and burn a hole in one of my drawings. Later I am at the plant showing various aspects to the new operators: "and there is the fuel tank for the gener. . ." WHOOF! Fuel fire!

How much power can I have without it being a problem?

Scott

dr_lava

Enlightened
Nothing over 5mW for careless pointing use, nothing over 10mW is to be used for pointing at potentially shiny surfaces at all. You don't want to point at something and have people not want to look because it's so bright!

abeland1

Enlightened
beezaur said:
I can see it now -- I am explaining a water system during a public meeting and burn a hole in one of my drawings. Later I am at the plant showing various aspects to the new operators: "and there is the fuel tank for the gener. . ." WHOOF! Fuel fire!

How much power can I have without it being a problem?

Scott
For lecturing purposes in a large area I would suggest a unit with APC (automatic power control). They are all set to 4 to 5mW and that is plenty, even in a auditorium. In a smaller area such as a typical conference room, I would recommend a <1mW of the same model. If you don't necessarily have to have a green then you might consider a 635nm red at less cost. These appear brighter than red pointers that you are likely to see in stores.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I use 5mW green pointers for presentation in middle sized rooms and they are borderline too bright, but the advantage is that you can very clearly see the dot, even in bright daylight coming in from the windows.
And 5mW is safe ... so no worries you accidently do some harm with the device. I would never go higher in mW.
bernie

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered from Atlasnova. Very helpful, super easy people to deal with.

I got one with feedback control that limits output to <5mW. It is really bright and will be perfect for presentations. The other is the Astronomy Grade, quite a bit brighter. It hasn't gotten dark yet, but these are pretty impressive even under sunny skies.

Thanks for all the information. I got pretty much just what I wanted because of it.

Scott