Changing Batteries in the Rain- Questions

fleegs

Enlightened
Hello.

Since I prefer to always carry 2-3 times more flashlights than I need (learning which ones work best). I have never found myself changing batteries other than at home. Let alone in the rain.

Has anyone ever had to change batteries in the rain?

Has anyone ever damaged a light while changing batteries in the rain?

Any thoughts on how this could cause a problem?

Thanks,
rob

Last edited:

Macaw

Enlightened
I'm not sure of the circumstances of which you're speaking but there are automobile chargers out there. If you're talking about being in the wilds and using a generator then I would imagine that you would have to make sure that somehow everything stays dry. There are some so called "all weather" battery chargers such as this one: http://www.allaboutbattery.com/searchitems.asp?models=SC-18+All+Weather&mfr=Soligor&agent_camp=13682001http://www.ebatts.com/soligor_sc-18-all-weather_digital-camera_battery-charger_part_ch-9700.aspx. I don't know how water resistant these are.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the best idea to get water inside the tube or on the outside of the battery that will be going in the tube if that's what you're asking.

Try to find some shelter or lean over and let your body block the rain before opening it.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
changing, not charging!

pffft. . . you guilt free lumens guys . . .

NEver changed them in the rain, but I'd assume itd be about the same as using a non waterproof flashlight in wet conditions, something else I've never done. anyone care to test a 97 cent flashlight in the sink and report back?

Macaw

Enlightened
I would agree that primaries may well be the better way to go.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Rob,

I have changed Alkaline, NiCd, NiMh, Lithium, Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries in the rain and have noticed no problems at all.

I make sure to dry things out when I get home, but sometimes when I am out camping, it can be a week or more before I get things dried out.

Tom

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
Simple trick to do this without getting water inside the light.

make sure you have a clear plastic bag with you, use it as a raincover when changing batteries.

Clever!

Jeff

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
One potential problem might be if the light was one of these high-powered incandescents, and some water got near the bulb. I think that turning a high-output bulb on if it has moisture on it is a known "failure mode" that could cause it to explode, but I stand to be corrected.

For all fiddly things like battery changes in the rain (if you are talking about being out in the wilds here), I am a strong supporter of the tarp, which I try to promote in this article:

http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/20060201/articles/a20060201_tarps.asp

In fact, I wish I'd thought about the issue of changing batteries in the rain when I wrote that article, because I'd have mentioned it. I may even go back and change it!

fleegs

Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello Rob,

I have changed Alkaline, NiCd, NiMh, Lithium, Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries in the rain and have noticed no problems at all.

I make sure to dry things out when I get home, but sometimes when I am out camping, it can be a week or more before I get things dried out.

Tom

Was this with custom high quality lights?

Thanks,
rob

fleegs

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was really surprised to see the talk of chargers but then I realized what happened.

I asked this question because I thought about people who use their lights for life and death. Say someone was out in the woods searching for a lost person and their light went dead. Would they have another light or have to change the batteries there? Maybe in the rain. Then I thought maybe there were stories I could learn from. Like carrying a plastic bad to change the batteries in. But now I am wondering what if it was a horrible storm. Then water would surely find its way into the bag/flashlight. What would happen?

Thanks everyone. Keep them coming.

rob

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Has anyone ever had to change batteries in the rain?"

Yes.

"Has anyone ever damaged a light while changing batteries in the rain?"

Not I.

"Any thoughts on how this could cause a problem?"

If the water was left in the light long enough to cause corrosion, that could be an issue.

People who use their lights to save lives carry multiple backups and most certainly do change batteries in the rain.

Two is one and one is none.

Cheers. :buddies:

Illum

Flashaholic
assuming the light you have to change is weather resistant, change out the batteries [alkaline or lithium] by having the bezel facing up and the battery compartment down, therefore eliminating the risk of water getting in, the tailcap will be wet anyway so it really doesnt matter whether you try to protect it or not.