Acebeam
Page 1 of 29 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

Default Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

As requested I'll put my current status here on the first page.

Status update:

Current status 19NOV02:

BB500 - In stock and slowely shipping.
    BB400 - Due to ship from MFG today or tomorrow.
    MM - Due to ship this week.

BB400 and MM will still need the epoxy fill, final form fit and functional test. The whole process will take 3-5 days for each batch.

Status update 22Nov02:

Received BB400 and Madmax modules and separate converter boards. Tested one each of the batch and they appear to be functional. Epoxy fill and final functional testing still ahead.

Status Update Dec 2.

Status update: I think we cleared backlog as of today for orders up to Nov 29th. Please wait one day to see if you get an email confirmation. It's totally possible I screwed up an order or two, delivered twice or not delivered at all on some stuff. About 40 boxes on Friday and about 30 more boxes on Saturday.

Status Update Dec 11.

All orders are being processed and shipped in one to two days typical now.

Status update 1/23/2003: I'll post this in the beginning as well.

Nearing the end of the month. We are now out of stock on Madmax modules so any future Sandwiches with Madmax will get backordered.

We have been out of stock on Badboy converter boards and are now getting very thin on Badboy 400 modules and Badboy 500 modules.

I plan on keeping the store open. So, I've made the decision. Not to terminate the store for various reason. One is the contract manufacturer did not perform very well and I got overcharged, and I lost a lots to scrappage for one reason or another.

The store will stay open to service the McLux DIY program, offer LEDs and all the other misc items that everyone seems to like. The response has been nothing short of spectacular and I would again like to thank everyone for such an overwhelming success.

I'm in the process of switching contract manufacturers and this has caused a hiccup or bubble where I won't be getting supplies for a while. During this period I'm hoping to be able to sustain some inventory again by hand soldering and hand assembly modules.

This is consuming more time than I had anticipated and is now delaying the McLux program. Fear not, it will be forthcoming. And the price that is currently being worked on is a very attractive one. I think you will like the pricing.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

What I want to know is how to make one with crappy soldering skills, a lack of funds, and no LS (part of the lack of funds). Oh, and a lack of experience with small parts, little equipment (I am in the dorms right now), and did I mention bad soldering skills?

Spud

Talk to Saaby. I think people are sending him free stuff. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Lol, the only person that offered to do that was LightLover I believe it was. Offered to send a couple surefire 123's for being the youngest member (at the time), I declined though because I had lost my LX at the time. Also, I don't think I'd take any handouts, would only trade for stuff. I have a hard time accepting anything from people unless I have done sometihng for them or have something to give in exchange. My parents are SUPPOSED to be sending me some money monthly, so I can set aside part of that (that is, when they finally get around to doing it...)

Spud

This is almost as bad as Darrel...lol :-P

Flashaholic

Hi Dat2zip,

Thanks for the handmade custom made sandwiches, the “madmax” and “yellow”. Those of us who received one or both are quite fortunate. Good luck with your next projects, your work is enjoyable to follow, and very appreciated.

Flashaholic

Dat2zip, after a while if you are going to make anymore MadMax sandwiches -- I'd like to get one.

This LED stuff is getting to be an obsession. Friends are warning me to stay away from CPF. But I cant. I cant afford one now - I bought 6 flashlights or conversions this month.
    <font color=blue>--Ðøug </font>

Originally posted by Doug Meister:
    Friends are warning me to stay away from CPF. But I cant.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This sounds familiar... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you are having troubles with your Madmax or Badboy it would be helpful for me to have as much pertanent data as possible. You might want to consider some of the follwing suggestions.

What information I will need is:
    Setup: Flashlight body(s), converter type (Madmax, Badboy), custom design using just the converter or drop in sandwich, type of battery (alk, NiMH, NICD...), How long was it run before the problem (right away, after xx minutes, ect...), statically still or being carried around.

Any other pertinent information like:
    "I bang it and the light comes back."
    "I replace the batteries and problem goes away."
    "It only occurs when I use RS batteries."
    "Only occurs on a full moon."
    "Just happens on Leap Years."
    "Drinking coffee with the spoon still in the cup hurts my eye."
    "Only occurs when I wear tennis shoes. When I wear my clogs, everthing is fine."
    "Light aways goes out when I remove the tailcap."
    "When I step on the mouse the computer doesn't turn on."

Some temporary fixes for some of the above stated problems are:

"Only occurs when I wear tennis shoes. When I wear my clogs, everthing is fine."

Temporary fix: "For now, please only wear tennis shoes while we investigate this problem."

"Drinking coffee with the spoon still in the cup hurts my eye."

fix: "Please remove the spoon before drinking the coffee."

I replaced _all_ the O-rings in my ten year old MagLight AA, because at first I had to screw the head down all the way and had no leeway, the BB would go off but a slight bump would turn it back on. With replacement O-rings, my BB-yellow has been perfect. I think the head was just a bit wobbly because the old O-ring below the threads was thin. I notice I can hear the batteries rattle slightly right at the point where the light comes on and at that point the LED may dim or flicker; once I turn the head another 1/8 of a turn it's consistently on. I guess I will try stretching the string just a bit.

Just finished my first mod. Assembled the Mad Max sandwich. I soldered the emitter directly to the backside of the board. Used the improved optic along with the Mini-Mag reflector the back of which I sanded down about even with the optic. This installed nicely in the bezel using the stock lens and o-ring. Also used bondo instead of epoxy to make the sandwich. The bondo sets up in just a few minutes so I was able to hold it between my fingers while it set. Had to be very careful not to get the bondo in the way of the variable resistor. Twist on-off works just like it should. Set the resistor for max brightness and let it run. It ran bright for two hours ten minutes then faded fast. I picked it up a few times during the run test and found it warm but not uncomfortable to hold. Used standard duracells.

I am happy.

Flashaholic*

Wayne, I hate to dissapoint you, but: BB&MM is operating flawlessly. They are mounted in brand new Mini-Mags. Hope this helps. Also, can I continue to wear my clogs???:-)

Flashaholic

caught up on my tv watching tonite while i had my madmax and badboy running as a battery burn time test...

i put slightly weaker batteries in the madmax, and not quite new batteries in the badboy:

after *5* hours, the madmax still had a glow, and
    it's usuable enough to be sure, it's just not STUNNING bright. what did you expect?

after *5* hours, the badboy/yellow is pretty dang bright, not new battery bright, but better than the madmax, remember that this light had stronger batteries.

not too shabby. good job wayne :>

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Leddite I assume the time of your post is a Ghost of the CPF being down? My time is 4:41 AM Central 8-30

Flashaholic

my time is :

Fri Aug 30 05:50:40 EDT 2002

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

It's the time the forum is indicating you posted that I am talking about. Sorry I didn't say it more clearly.

Flashaholic

yes, i got that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Long time no post... Since the title of this thread is named "Everything you wanted to know..." I do a have a few questions... And yes, I spent about 15 minutes skimming through the archives, but I couldn't find a clear answer for the below question:

What exactly is the difference between the Madmax and the Badboy? Specifically:

- brightness
    - battery life
    - ease of install
    - voltage regulation

I apologize for asking a question that most people here probably have the answer to already, but think of it as a service to those who are "catching up" on reading the messageboards... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Many thanks in advance,

Originally posted by sodakar:
    Long time no post... Since the title of this thread is named "Everything you wanted to know..." I do a have a few questions... And yes, I spent about 15 minutes skimming through the archives, but I couldn't find a clear answer for the below question:

What exactly is the difference between the Madmax and the Badboy? Specifically:

- brightness
    - battery life
    - ease of install
    - voltage regulation

Many thanks in advance,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-Brighthess: The Madmax is the overall winner of MADMAX vs Badboy Yellow. The Badboy green is very similar on fresh set of batteries.

NOTE: Badboy Yellow (Yellow is the current regulation set to 416mA and not a yellow LED), Green is 500mA designation, Violet is 666mA of current regulation.

Battery Life: Both have acceptable and very reasonable battery life. Both with a good set of alkalines will yield 1 1/2 to 2 hours of good solid light and then dimished light for many more hours.

Ease of installation: Identical. Drop in module like the opalec. Drops in from the rear. Typical installation time is 30secs to 1minute. (First timers ~5 minutes) No soldering, No nuts, bolts, screws, wrenches, or any other special tools except 5-10 fingers.

Regulation:
    Madmax: Pseudo Voltage regulation. Set for a voltage regulation of 5V which it never achieves and runs wide open. This generates less current output as the battery voltage falls and thus is not a true voltage regulator.

Badboy: Full current mode regulation. Regulates the current to load to within +/- 5mA.

Efficiency:
    Madmax: Up to 90% with fresh batteries. Down to 76%.
    Badboy: Up to 85% with fresh batteries. Down to 72% with 2V input.

More information at:
    Madmax and Badboy web page.

Madmax and Badboy converter board images.

Sandwich installation instructions.

Run time graphs of Madmax and Badboy 500mA.

Flashaholic*

EDIT: (9/06/2002) Disregard comments on initial beam intensity and read my post further on.

I just received my madmax badboy yellow. It is everything advertised. It has a more violet tinted Luxeon beam but still a very nice beam. I prefer slightly violet to the green corona beams. I modded it to a minimag. It starts out just slightly dimmer then my newly arrived Arc LS second that is running on alkalines and a two AA battery pack. EDIT: I had originally used the original Energizers that came with the minimag. Who knows how long they've been sitting on the shelf but I just installed a different set of alkalines and now the badboy yellow seems to be just as bright if not a shade brighter then the Arc LS in a two AA battery pack. Also tried NIMH's which produced nearly the same light output but the batteries rattle in the minimag case. It is slightly brighter on lithiums but in my opinion, why pay $5 for a set of batteries (in regular use) when you can pay 50 cents worth on alkalines at a still steady output at a just slightly dimmer (ten percent?) level. For $36 plus $9 for a mini mag, bringing a total of $45, I can't think of a better Luxeon value.

One thing though. I have been doing a run time test. The whole mag body gets quite warm when left on for an extended period of time so that if you leave it alone for an hour or so, it is almost too warm to pick up. Does this mean the design produces more heat and/or it has superior heat sinking characteristics? At either rate, is it OK to leave this light running continuously? The Arc LS by comparison in a two AA battery compartment remains quite cool to the touch.

Thanks for the super-digest of info on both modules! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Of course, the last question I forgot to ask here (though I e-mailed you), is... are you still taking orders, and if so, are the payment instructions more or less the same from your other thread?

I'm quite impressed with your handiwork, and naturally, I'd want something brighter than the Mini-Mag bulb, and the Opalec takes me the other way... (in exchange for battery life, of course)

Many thanks,

geepondy,

There are many factors that can affect the flashlight temperature.

Running it continously it is highly recommended to keep the flashlight moving. Air current around the flashlight helps move the heat away from the flashlight keeping it cooler.

For the 1st batch of Madmax and Badboy the E6000 reheats at a low temperature and can leak out and glue the module to the side of the barrel.

For the 2nd batch Shoe goo was used which reforms around 150F. It's rather important on either batch to try to keep the flashlight as cool as possible.

Future boards will be using a board to board connector arrangement and will not have any of the goop or glue temperature issues.

Received my BadBoy-Yellow sandwich today. It worked very quirkily after initially installing it. It wouldn't always turn on and sometimes it seemed to turn itself off.

So I took it back apart, wiped the module off, re-installed it and now it works great! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Turns on as expected, turns off as expected, has a nice beam. I am very pleased with this light.

Just want to say thanks Wayne (Dat2Zip), you do excellent work!

Pat

Flashaholic

I got the madmax running it in a minimag with a streamlight jr clickswitch. I have to say it is the light that I wish all my others were. LS1,e2e etc.

Hi Wayne,

Are the Mad Max boards with variable resistor still available for those of us that want to TRY to get creative on our own?

Flashaholic*

Geepondy, thanks for the great review comparing badboy and ArcLS. While I am very happy with Badboy's peformance, I was led to believe that badboy's current regulator gives out pretty constant output regardless of battery type and be it lithium, alkaline or NiMH. It seems otherwise based on your review. Its behavior sounds like it is Madmax instead of badboy. You did mention that you *received Madmax Badboy Yellow*. Would you clarify either the one you tested is Madmax or Badboy Yellow?

TIA

Alan

Let me try this again:

Of course, the last question I forgot to ask here (though I e-mailed you), is... are you still taking orders, and if so, are the payment instructions more or less the same from your other thread?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Flashaholic

I just hafta tell what I did. Several years ago I owned a Harley-Davidson (now regrettably sold). I bought a new black Mini-Mag for its metal tool box. Over the miles all the stuff in there vibrated against the MagLite - making a lot of scratches - with one almost wore thru. The light looked like hell. Later I found that it didnt work - the part where the bulb fits was broken internally.

Then when I got the BADBOY I put it in a different MiniMag. But the other day I thought I would switch the BADBOY sandwich to this beat up but new Mag. I couldnt get the bezel off. So I decided a piece of metal was not going to get the best of me. I vised it up and used my plumbers channel locks and was able to eventually pursuade the bezel to turn - in the vise. After tightening the vise even more and really gripping the pliers - it finally broke loose.

The threads looked galled. So scraping with my jacknife helped only a little. At work we would use a trick to make parts fit. We used one micron alumina and lapped parts together to make them fit.

I pinched the bezel in the opposite direction that the vise did to get it more round. I didnt have any alumina, so I tried cleanser. That didnt work too well, so I tried Brasso. After a few twists both parts fit very nicely. Then I un-mounted the BADBOY stuff from its good MiniMAg and re-mounted it in my repaired but badly beat-up MiniMag. So its a BADBOY in a badboy.

The scratches I put on can hardly be noticed over the other scratches. I have wanted to save this beat up light for years and now I finally did it. Thanks for reading this.
    <font color=blue>--Ðøug ™</font>

I did a temperature and brightness test with the BadBoy Yellow inxtalled in a new Legend 2AA body with fresh Energizer alkalines.

Start of the test showed the outside case temp at 85F, with lux at one meter = 209.

After 22 minutes, the light began to turn off for approximately one second then turn back on, exhibiting this behavior at a rate of about once per minute. Case temp was now at 108F, and I ended the test.

Mr Bulk,

Please remove the Badboy and clean the top contact surface around the LED. Inspect and remove any green flecks and re-install. Your symptons are a poor contact to the barrel and the board and LED are overheating. Also, if the sandwich is not 0.3" thick, try stretching the spring a bit to get more pressure applied to the board.

sodakar
    Please email me again. I'll reply to your email.

WayneY

Page 1 of 29 1234567811 ... LastLast