Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

Default Re: Everything you ever wanted to know: BADBOY, MADMAX Update

InTheDark,

The original naming had to do with the coloring of the Artic Alumina that I used with Epoxy to add thermal conduction for the IC and Diode. As such, it was a clear marking if you look at your module you will see the board has a yellow blob on top of the converter board. There is almost no distinction to differentiate between different current settings once the module is encapsulated in Shoe goo or 2 Ton epoxy. My coloring them as I built them I could easily identify which one was which.

I received your email. Didn't I reply to you... Sorry, if I didn't. I thought I did.

sflate,

Yes, they will be plain Artic Alumina grease so in theory, one could unsolder the emitter and solder in a different one.

Can't see the PM button on your post InTheDark. Was going to send you a PM. ?? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Enlightened

Count me in for #1 (1W Batwing)also!

-The local LiteFreek

Flashaholic*
    NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!

Wayne, what type of emitter did you use on the first run of MadMax units as I absolutely like that emitter the best out of all the LS products that I own. Whichever one it was, please let me know and I will cast my vote accordingly. My former CPF name was Edwood, if this helps you remember my order.

Thanks

Ed

Option #4 would be my choice too because these badboys are limited to metal bodied lights and hard to be retrofitted into anything else.

We will get reemed. If you or I think that we can get another batch of similar LEDs with good beam or light quality, you are in for a real shock.

Right now it's a totally crap shot. What you get is exactly that. No quality control at the end user perspective.

I can't promise anything, and I think that goes for everyone else buying them. Even the big players are getting totally bunk stuff.

I can only promise to buy the exact part number specified and install it into the module. What color or hue it turns out is outta our control.

I am not going to sift, screen or do anything to improve the LED after I get it. That would be too expensive and time consuming.

I would assume the worse and cross you fingers for better. Assume puke green and write Santa for a nice warm white or slightly bluish one.

Holding ones breath long enough will turn the greenish cast to a warmer redish color just before one faints and falls to the floor. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

WayneY
    Pretty color...THUNK
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    The color on my madmax and badboy are just fine, thank you very much.
    G.

Flashaholic

-batwing-

I have the madmax and badboy and love em both. I'll probably get more in the next batch.
    I vote for BATWING

Flashaholic

I vote for the white Batwing for a Madmax.

Wayne, wouldnt you think that eventually someone would grade these at the factory so we could get close to white?

Arent you going to set up production of these so you can make money and we (I at least) can buy yet another flashlight that we (I at least) dont need????
    <font color=blue>--ug </font>

Flashaholic*

Hi Wayne,

According to your web site, the Badboy Apple might not be suitable for sandwick drop in like MadMax and Badboy Banana, is it OK now to use Apple in mini Mag now. I'd get 2 Apples if it does:-)

By the way, all of them will come with C clip retainer, am I right?

Alan

Any Aussies out there interested in a potential group buy to offset postage costs?

BATWING option please.

Madmax Batwing please!

I'm curious why there is a price difference between these modules. Parts and/or your hard labour must be very similar for all 3 modules. For example, the 400 vs 500 would have different length of resistor sense wire.

I hope my question does not offend anybody.

- Vikas

Doug Meister,

Grading and screening Luxeon or LEDs is a very difficult task. What if the yield to get good whites are only 20%? What do I do with the other 80%? Future won't take them back. Lumileds won't take them back. I can't exchange them for more of the same.

If you have an idea of how this can be done realistically, I'm all ears. In fact I think the world would like to know as well.

Vikas,

To be very blunt. You pay for performance. It's true in any market. Higher resolution TV cost more than the cheapie lower resolution TVs and so on. Apple is the highest output current regulated converter available that I know of.

The Apple module is a now approved (at least by me) for general drop in module usage in a 2AA flashlight.

The grape model is being discourage by not building any modules of this flavor. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Some additional heat sinking capability must be employed to dissipate the additional power overdriving the 1W to near 700mA and the current configurations are too unstable in my opinion. Heat is one and thermal contact is another that I'm not happy with at this level.

I'm hoping my 1st run will last at least a month with no restictions on quantity. If I happen to run out I'll order another batch and will take it batch by batch. The three boards including Luxeons is initially going to drain all my current cash stock and will run in the 2 digit $K amount. This is a rather larger hobby purchase and I don't have a small business to absorb the cost overhead, inventory, and database tracking capabilities.

And to think... I joined CPF thinking I would spend $20.00 or so...

WayneY

Flashaholic*

Wayne,

Two questions - When can I get them, and when will they be available? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

I vote for all Batwing. Until the Luxeon Stars are piercing the night like a SureFire, I prefer all my LED's to have a more even, wider, light. I have one LS with the lamberghini [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] dome, and while I appreciate it's more focused center, I prefer the more defused light.

And I want a green, er I mean Apple one! (wait, aren't apples red? What about those Yellow apples?) [img]graemlins/winkie.jpg[/img]

Maybe, I will drop the colors and adopt a numbering conventions.

BB_400 = Badboy_400 = Badboy (Yellow, banana)
    BB_500 = Badboy_500 = Badboy (Green, Apple)
    BB_700 = N.A.

MM_Adj = Madmax Adjustable.
    MMM = Non Adjustable. (Isn't there a carpet place called MMM?).

Remember, puke green is better if you [img]graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] and then stare at the light. I promise it will look better!

WayneY

Enlightened

I have an HD on a direct drive light and like it a lot. I will order a BB_500 with the White Lambertian (LXHL-PW01) and cross my fingers for "white" one. I know it will be a crap shoot... my current BB_ 400 is apple green. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Now, if I can only keep my finger from quivering over the order button. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We want to keep you in business so you can deliver on a BB_stepdown for use with the new 5W.

Flashaholic

Dat2Zip, is there any difference in size for BB_400, BB_500, and BB_750 Adjustable? I want two BB_750 adjustable if it is the same size and you decide to sell it. I need it to drive LS 5W as soon I get my hand on one... While waiting, I can use it to drive my LS 1W.
    Please put me in your waiting list for BB_750. Thank you very much WayneY...

Flashaholic

Wayne Y, I was thinking of the grading to take place at the factory = Future. Then if they charged more for the good ones (whiter) I for one would be willing to pay more. The rest of the lot could be sold off at a lower price. They could be honest about the tested color.

In the end this issue will be market driven. If 80% of us and others get puke green colors - thats a lot of disatisfied customers. You'd think they (Future) would be interested in a better product. And if the bad ones dont sell even at a discount that should motivate them to change manufacturing quality control to make a better product. I mean what do you think things will be in 10 years? Bet they get it corrected by then.
    <font color=blue>--ug [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] </font>

Flashaholic*

I'd have to chip in and say this - if the puke-green (PG) gamble is not something you'd like to get into now, then you might be in for a long wait. This really is still early days yet for the ultra-high-power LED.

Its a good bet, and from the now hundreds of luxeons I have used from various batches/suppliers in the last 12 months, that the horrid PG seems to be the nominal luxeon color in production. The blue-whites, incandescent whites and violet-tints fall either to the left or the right and you should consider these to be only unreliably available.

Many reliable sources point out that color/Vf consistency is simply not guaranteed to any degree by Lumileds, whether or not you are a big player or not. With their current monopoly, Lumileds is playing "like it or lump it". Crapshoot all the way up and down the ladder.

For my purposes anyway, the PG actually turns out to be slightly more desirable than the other whiter colors, particularly when used without optics. To my eye, its warmer color tone is less like fluorescent light - something my end-apps tend away from. And the PG tint is only something you'd notice when having one of those select luxeons immediately on hand to compare with. In any case, the PGs still put out a LOT of light, in most cases, even MORE light than the whiter shades - my lightmeter has proven it many times.

Maybe things will improve when Nichia bows in with their 10x - I'm personally hoping that will kick Lumileds/Future into getting their act together.

Flashaholic

Well, actually I was thinking that the likelihood of a PG color is somewhat high. And isnt green a better color for seeing in the green forest at night. So maybe its not such a bad color after all. What went wrong is that someone classified this green as puke green. Thus giving it a bad name. So maybe we ought to call it "New Fern Leaf Green" Having said that - if I now get a really white one - I'll be even happier. So like everyone else I'll hafta take what I get.

As soon as I hear that Madmax production has resumed - I want one.
    <font color=blue>--ug [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] </font>

madmax batwing

Does this mod still have a twist on off, or does it need a tailcap switch? If it needs a switch where can I get them? I've been looking over here in england and can't seem to find anything. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

dat2zip,

How critical is the position of the hole that needs to be drilled in the madmax to access the pot? I mean - besides needing to locate above the pot, is there anything nearby to damage?

ta,
    derek.

OK, the layer stackup is different.

Here is a first look at what the new modules look like and what the two badboy converter boards look like. These are my proto boards and NO I don't have any more.

Picture of the two badboy boards. The larger of the two is the new Badboy_750 with a trim pot to adjust the output current setting.

First look at the new sandwich using board to board connectors.

If you look carefully in the upper right hand corner picture you can see the trim pot on the inside. You would need to drill a hole near the LED right above this location. Whether you can fit a tool there with it installed inside a minimag I'm not sure since there isn't really any distance separating the outer plastic of the LED and the battery barrel lip. On the minimag it's only a couple of mm if that.

WayneY

Flashaholic*

Isn't that the most yummy sandwich you ever saw?

Having played with the protos, I can vouch that Wayne's new luxeon+BB modules are truly 2-minutes drop-ins - absolutely no soldering, no sanding, no grinding.

They are oh-so-neat and very robust as well, thanks to the clever mounting posts. Now with CURRENT adjustable trim pot too! Name your luxeon and this puppy can be self-tailored to match perfectly.

Simply fantastic, fantastic job there, Wayne.

Flashaholic

Wow Wayne, those new boards look great stacked on top of each other. What a nice design, I hope your proto-types are what you wanted, and the new design with your electrical tests, is good to go to production!

OK, Since I've got my camera all setup and both computers up and running....

What's this...

Can it be....

A what????

It's a dual mode converter. Activation is by a magnetic hall effect IC switch. Bringing a magnet near the IC shown will kick the converter into high gear.

Otherwise, it idles along at a lower cruising altitude.

Pleeeeeezzzzzzeeeeee, Don't ask for one. It's strictly for evaluation and to determine if it can be done.

The trim pot sets the lower cruising altitude and the hall effect switches in the afterburners.

WayneY

Flashaholic*

Ah, the 2-stage current-regulated dimmer is born!

Flashaholic*

Ah, the 2-stage current-regulated dimmer is born!

Flashaholic

Wayne Y,
    >> The trim pot sets the lower cruising altitude and the hall effect switches in the afterburners. <<

I want one.
    <font color=blue>--ug </font>

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast